Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 AM   #1
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
Considering trading in one or both of my cars for a yaris...

Can anyone here convince me not to do it?

Please please please tell me everything you hate about the 07 liftback (hatchback?) :)

I've gone for three test drives. Twice in auto, once in standard. The stick was fine EXCEPT that the gas pedal has some funky delay that causes any spirited driving techniques to fail... And I really couldn't tell that much difference between standard and auto in terms of acceleration...

I've recently gone from working at home to working downtown and owning a gas guzzler like the STi is just starting to lose some appeal. Although I completely love the STi and really will miss all the fun I've had in it, I think it may be time to get rid of it... or get a yaris and trade in the TSX, keep the STi for a weekend car...

One thing I am really concerned about it handling in the snow. With snow tires, how well does this thing do hills in the snow? I basically live on a mountain and we had some crazy snowfall for our area this year that made me appreciate the STi's awd. Of course it does only snow a couple times a year here, but I would still like all your opinions.

I've already decided that I like the yaris best out of the competition (versa and fit)... so now it's just a matter of deciding exactly what I am going to do with my transportation situation.

Thanks everyone...
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
paradigm
o.O

Drives: 8
All in all i completely love my hatch. As far as the things that bug me about the car, they're minor.

1. The riding position is somewhat more like driving a minivan than driving a more sporty car since you sit higher up.

2. The stock ride height looks way high. (easily fixable by coilovers/springs)

Other than that i think its an awesome little car.
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I hate the fact that I didn't buy a Yaris before now. My dam pickup sucked up a lot of fuel money that could have been spent on other things.

I assume you never owned a FWD car before? With most of your weight above the drive axle they go like crazy in the snow with good rubber. So, if you carry a set of chains/cables in the winter driving season only a blizzard, or ice will find you SOL.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I noticed the same thing you did when I test drove the Yaris.. There was no tach and the car was so quiet I kept forgetting to shift. There really didn't seem like there was much difference in performance between the two either. I think the only time you would notice the difference between the auto and manual would be merging into traffic on the freeway and passing, but I could be wrong. Plus my girlfriend will have to drive the Yaris for a while when she moves here, so I went with the Auto. I don't regret it a bit either. Then again, this is a commuter not a race car. Still averaged over 38mpg on my first full tank of gas. Don't know about the snow though.

I personally would keep the STi and trade the TSX in, but I LOVE the STi's so that maybe a bit biased.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
lostmind, sounds like we compared same cars. The Yaris just outperformed the others IMO. I chose a manual b/c I've never driven an automatic (well, my grandma's 67 Impala had a 2-speed auto but that hardly counts )

I traded my 03 Tiburon for Yaris; I know what you mean about missing it but the Yaris is so much fun I got over it fast. I considered upgrading from Tib but I concluded "WTF do I need w/ 300 hp? Do I really WANT more speeding tickets?" Besides, with lower car payment I now have more cash to dump into my Miata (once daily driver, now a toy)

There is nothing I can say that I hate about the Yaris--I really love it! If I was buying again tho I might get power package--it is kind of a PITA to always have to use the key. Not having an inside hatch release lever is the only thing that strikes me as stupid oversight on design end.

I look at any other "weaknesses" as an opportunity to fix it up exactly how I like it--though I think its an incredibly solid and fun little car with no mods at all.
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
weaponrcamry

Drives: Camry LE/Yaris Hatch 5spd
Well, I love my manual liftback, and I choose the manual because it will usually saves a more gas, requires less maintenance, but the downside is the traffic. I didn't like the auto, and yet some people don't like tha manual(You have to deside on that one ) But anyway I have not driven the car in snow yet so I am not going to discuss this. The sti is a all round car(Rain, snow, etc). So that would be a keeper in my book. If you like the luxury the tsx, travel alot than this would be the car. Even though the fit looks like a clown car, and the versa makes me they both have alot more room, and a little more get go. The yaris lb and sedan look better and the respect that toyota has is a plus. Trade the tsx and get the yaris.
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)****** **"( @)
weaponrcamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
kaboom

Drives: 2007 silver yaris sedan
well, "the shift lag" is caused by electronic throttle control ( " drive by wire"); as for auto tranny performance- i tried both: manual and auto on yaris and i do not really see any difference: when i was merging hwy from uphill ramp i simply started with second and was manually upshifting to fourth ( lots of fun - as i remember i went to third @ 30 mph, then to fourth @ 45 mph and that little buddy was as peppy as manual tranny); btw ----- i own 07 sedan with auto tranny; you will love your yaris but i heard that sedan ( even though 14 lbs lighter, than liftback) is more stable in snow and ice; just make sure to do what i did and get yourself a good set of blizzaks and have all four studded......
kd
kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
lostmind

I appreciate the input!

I've driven mostly FWD vehicles before and while I've never had much trouble in snow, I've also never had much snow to begin with and I now live higher up with more snow... plus I think all my previous cars weighed 50% + on the yaris :)

So no one really has anything bad to say about the car... hmmm

Guess that's good.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
My only complaint is how easy it scratches (both interior and exterior), but thats something I can live with
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 PM   #10
lostmind

The STi scratches if I look at it wrong. I hate that too...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
kaboom

oh, yeah - my center armrest is getting scratched when i unbuckle my seatbelt ( i think i will quit buclin' up and just learn to live with those 50 short beeps on startup)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
kaboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
The STi scratches if I look at it wrong. I hate that too...
as for your STi - i drove subaru for a while and my avatar says it all ( i think i did explain what is on the picture in a separate post)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #13
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
The yaris just takes some getting used to, it can be plenty fun to drive.

You get used to the delay, and it just becomes part of driving the car.. just hit the gas a little earlier.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #14
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
TSX > STi

Trade the STi and get a Yaris.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
lostmind

Heh, I hate driving the TSX. I love driving my STi. TSX is a good car for sure, but I just dislike it... my wife loves it. But good job of living up to your title chino :)

If I traded the STi for a yaris, I'd get a crapload of cash back though, that'd be cool :)

We've been kinda considering getting a yaris and a rav4 perhaps. trade in both of our cars and get one econobox for the commute and one suv...

bah who knows though :)
Old 05-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #16
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
My only complaint is that the Yaris needs a teloscoping steering column. Make sure the car fit's you properly as far as leg and arm length. It's annoying to have to lean forward to grab the wheel.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmind View Post
Heh, I hate driving the TSX. I love driving my STi. TSX is a good car for sure, but I just dislike it... my wife loves it. But good job of living up to your title chino :)

If I traded the STi for a yaris, I'd get a crapload of cash back though, that'd be cool :)

We've been kinda considering getting a yaris and a rav4 perhaps. trade in both of our cars and get one econobox for the commute and one suv...

bah who knows though :)
Haha, hey, they're your babies. I'd kill for a TSX. Need anyone offed?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 PM   #18
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
My only complaint is that the Yaris needs a teloscoping steering column. Make sure the car fit's you properly as far as leg and arm length. It's annoying to have to lean forward to grab the wheel.
Get the sedan with the tilting seat, then you wont have that problem ;)
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote