Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: 60K service due on Yaris 2007
Take it to a Toyota dealership, they know what to do 19 44.19%
Take it to the guy around the corner, he's probably more honest 17 39.53%
Doesn't matter, it's all the same 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Question 60K Service by Dealer or Independent Mechanic?

My cute little Yaris LB is getting close to needing her 60 K miles service (still works like clockwork, as far as I can tell! )

Since I bought the Yaris at a Toyota dealership about 50 miles from my home, I decided to look into the Toyota dealerships closer to my home instead, for service.

But when looking at the reviews for the various Toyota dealerships on Yelp.com , I saw that people complained quite a bit about the service they at the various Toyota dealerships (including the one I bought the car from) and frankly, it's a bit scary.

I know you can't take everything people say at face value, but on the other hand, there is no smoke without fire either, and all these people cannot be entirely wrong.

So, I was thinking. There is a small shop not too far from me who has a really good reputation dealing with foreign cars, and perhaps he could do the 60K service for me instead of going to Toyota?

What do you guys think?

Pros and cons of taking the car for service at the Toyota dealership, anyone?

(At 60K, I'm obviously out of the intial manufacturer warranty but I still have powertrain warranty for a little while, if that matters).

Thank you for all the input.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Tell us what is in the 60k service. And tell us how much is either charging.

*looking at a flier for local dealors of their 30k service, also a 60k service.
The main stuff is an oil and filter change, tranny fluid change, coolant change, spark plug change, and timing adjustment. All the other stuff I call fluff (expensive fluff) is "inspection" items.

Our spark plugs are due at 100k and I think our coolant doesn't need change until 100k. So will they prorate for that? I don't think so. Two dealors here charge 270 and 250.

They won't be able to weasel out of anything, you have a service record from the outside shop.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
I will look into it as soon as I get home and I'll post what it says to do on the book that came with the car.

I think I also got coupons in the mail from 2 different Toyota dealers for various services, so I guess I have to sit down and do the math.

I just don't like reading stories about people getting stiffed, getting poor service, etc. doesn't make me feel too confident.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
rningonfumes

Also think of it this way:

You're about to run out of warranty anyway or near it. Take this opportunity to "shop" for a decent mechanic you can trust. Instead of taking your car out to a Jiffy lube for that oil change, take it to a particular shop.... let them do the small things and rate their work. Keep going to the same shop if you happen to like their service and quality of work, this helps you to build rapport. When the time comes for a big job, you will want someone whom you trust.

While big shops may treat you like a number, the small shops who knows you will give you that much better service and for less.

I know one large truth, a good, honest mechanic is hard to find.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
My only complaint about Dealerships is that when they change the oil they added PRECISELY the recommended amount of oil, no more or less. You end up never getting all of the oil out of the crankcase, which means you get over filled.

Aside that I've never had a cause from complaint from the Dealership.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
tomato
Super Moderator

Here is what you're supposed to do at 60,000 miles or 72 months :

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate Tires
Replace engine air filter

Inspect the following:

- ball joints and dust covers
- brake lines and hoses
- brake linings, drums and brake pads/discs
drive belts
- drive shaft boots
- engine coolant
- engine valve clearance
- exhaust pipes and mountings
- front differential oil
- fuel lines and connections
- fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
- fuel tank cap gasket
- radiator core and condenser
- steering gear box
- steering linkage and boots
- transmission fluid or oil
Old 07-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
If you are really concerned about the remaining warranty go to the dealer. But as I have posted on some of the threads about extended warranty, my local mechanic is a friend of more than a dozen years and his children goto school with my son.
I feel better paying someone I know the few times that I need to, than spending more with any large corporation.

I would second the opinion to use the opportunity to find yourself a good mechanic. Get a referral or two, or look up a few places up on CarTalk.com
Take it in for state inspection or basic fluid/filter changes and see if you like the way you are treated.

In my mind `factory certified' is not necessarily better than work from an `ASE Certified' mechanic. Take some time and try to find someone you really like, and then you will have that backstop when you get to 4 X 60K and beyond.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
It really does not matter as long as you have faith/reliability in the service mechanic doing the work. For my Yaris, I have used the Toyota dealership 100%. But I have used them for the past 20 years and have liked the results and bill $$$.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #9
toyo

Drives: toyota
miles for tranny fluid change?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
miles for tranny fluid change?
The Yaris owner's manual has no scheduled AT fluid changes.

For the Camry and other cars that use a Toyota AT it's 60K miles, using Toyota WTS fluid.

I plan on changing mine every 30K miles since I do "pulse 'n glide" and sometimes hammer the poor thing. I consider this "Hard Use".

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:

Ok, this was an interesting experience.

1) Independent Guy around the corner, for the 60K service, as descrived above: $100 even. Told me the chances of him finding anything wrong with the car during the inspection are next to nul.

2) Dealership No. 1 (where I bought the car, under their Certified program): first quote was ........... $540 !!! (same service, but they top all the fluids and look at the battery as well). I argued that this kind of service was already done not long ago when I bought the car under their "Certified" program and I've only driven the car 2000 miles since then, if that, and they eventually dropped the price to $135.

3) Dealership No. 2 (closer to where I live but with bad reviews on Yelp): $129 because they're having a special right now.

4) Dealership No. 3 (a little further, also bad reviews): put me on hold for a long time ... then I hung up.

5) Oh, and just for the sport of it, I went to another independent mechanic, about 10 miles from where I live, pretty highly recommended on Yelp:

Their price (they were thorough and gave me a computer print-out of what Toyota requires them to do for a Yaris that age, at that mileage (which is the same as what I typed above) $200.

Hmmmmm....

By the way, I have a Manual Transmission if that makes a difference.

Last edited by tomato; 07-10-2009 at 10:24 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:29 AM   #12
rningonfumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Here is what you're supposed to do at 60,000 miles or 72 months :

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Rotate Tires
Replace engine air filter

Inspect the following:

- ball joints and dust covers
- brake lines and hoses
- brake linings, drums and brake pads/discs
drive belts
- drive shaft boots
- engine coolant
- engine valve clearance
- exhaust pipes and mountings
- front differential oil
- fuel lines and connections
- fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
- fuel tank cap gasket
- radiator core and condenser
- steering gear box
- steering linkage and boots
- transmission fluid or oil
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Ok, this was an interesting experience.

1) Independent Guy around the corner, for the 60K service, as descrived above: $100 even. Told me the chances of him finding anything wrong with the car during the inspection are next to nul.

2) Dealership No. 1 (where I bought the car, under their Certified program): first quote was ........... $540 !!! (same service, but they top all the fluids and look at the battery as well). I argued that this kind of service was already done not long ago when I bought the car under their "Certified" program and I've only driven the car 2000 miles since then, if that, and they eventually dropped the price to $135.

3) Dealership No. 2 (closer to where I live but with bad reviews on Yelp): $129 because they're having a special right now.

4) Dealership No. 3 (a little further, also bad reviews): put me on hold for a long time ... then I hung up.

5) Oh, and just for the sport of it, I went to another independent mechanic, about 10 miles from where I live, pretty highly recommended on Yelp:

Their price (they were thorough and gave me a computer print-out of what Toyota requires them to do for a Yaris that age, at that mileage (which is the same as what I typed above) $200.

Hmmmmm....

By the way, I have a Manual Transmission if that makes a difference.
See if you take out any thoughts about tranny maintenance..ie fluid change, it's an oil change with lots of fluff.

Dealor one only lowered after you complained, the other had a special price. The Indie Mechanics average from 100-200 at the top end and those are regular prices.

The poll is still too small a sample and many did not post why in either case. If you are still unsure, take advantage of the lower dealor prices and keep this list to use for an oil change, try those two Indie mechanics for your next oil change after the 60k service.

The dealors have higher bills to pay than the local machanic but Dealor one shows that they still have room to work with.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
See if you take out any thoughts about tranny maintenance..ie fluid change, it's an oil change with lots of fluff.

Dealor one only lowered after you complained, the other had a special price. The Indie Mechanics average from 100-200 at the top end and those are regular prices.

The poll is still too small a sample and many did not post why in either case. If you are still unsure, take advantage of the lower dealor prices and keep this list to use for an oil change, try those two Indie mechanics for your next oil change after the 60k service.

The dealors have higher bills to pay than the local machanic but Dealor one shows that they still have room to work with.

Dealer one lowered the price but also some of the service as well.

I know what you mean, I wish people had said "go to the dealer because" or go to the indie guy because"

I guess I'm not really worried about who's going to do the oil change but I'm already thinking ahead about who's going to take care of my car. I don't really know a good mechanic around here. I used to go to a Honda guy for years (that's why we kept buying Hondas and bringing them to him) but eventually he retired. I've tried various places but never could find that person you really trust, you know.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:10 AM   #14
rningonfumes

Yep. I finally found one here because he was the friend of a friend whom she worked for. So she knows how my mechanic works. I went the first couple of times and he was honest about things, his prices were low enough and he still allowed haggling on the prices.

Good luck man.

hmmm... let me see if another friend who lives up in San Fran knows any good shops.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #15
rningonfumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringcamry of ToyotaNation
I've had good experience with The Garage on 10th St and Folsom in San Francisco (do not confuse with 10th Ave). I took a Honda Accord there for some 100k maintenance but I don't remember what it cost but they did a good job.

I used DC Auto Service on El Camino and Hermosa in Millbrae once for an alternator and the price was reasonable also.

I haven't had to take my car into a shop for anything really since I can do most maintenance myself.
Those are his suggestions. He now has a 2006/2007 Camry, hence doesn't need to much major maintenance yet.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #16
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
other than checking to make sure stuff isn't wearing out (brakes, etc.) there shouldn't be anything special about the 60k oil change.

Trans fluid & radiator fluid are supposed to last 100k or longer I believe, so there really isn't much to be checked...
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
It takes about half an hour to do the 60k service BTW. As far as dealers go my daughter just had a problem with her 99 Camry and took it to the dealer. $3200 they said. My brother in law fixed it (broken exhaust manifold) for $800. Dealers are total rip off artists. Going to them for anything is like putting a naked new born baby in front of a wolf.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #18
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I generally agree with Bronsin. Dealers' shops are best avoided.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote