Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
DIY - Change your Gauge Cluster Color (Sedan)

Description:
To change every none-white indicator light to either white or blue.

****The backlighting to the Speedometer and Tach use a piece of "smoked plastic/acryllic" to spread the light of serveral LEDs across the face of the speedo and various parts of the cluster, meaning any replacement color would be slightly "smoked" or slightly darker then the attended output color. My theory is that if you use a higher output LED then you could offset the "smoke".

Tools Needed:
- Philips head screw driver
- Hands
- Soldering Iron (with small tip)
- 30 New LEDS’s
*** I ordered these White LEDS - http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata...EPT2012RWF%2DA (replaced stock white with theses; not necessary)
*** I ordered these Blue LEDs - http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata...=EP2012PBC%2DA (replaced all non-white with these; well until i ran out :-) )

- Extra Solder
- Needle nose pliers

Instructions:

1. Remove outer “molding” around stereo and guage cluster

2. Remove both sets of wire’s going to gauge cluster, then unscrew two screws holding the gauge cluster

3. Bring the cluster indoors to a static free environment (or have a static wrist band).

4. Flip over the guage cluster, unscrew the 3 screws, then pop the black tabs, remove white backing

5. Remove “raised board,” lift+pull straight out

6. Flip over gauge cluster, and then pull out the “gauge needles” (pull from base of the needle;the round part, they are on tight, but will come loose)

7. Admire the bare circuit board :drools:; take note of the LED positions

8. Use pliers and “grip” middle of OEM LED, use the soldering iron in other hand and heat up one point of the LED solder point and then lift with the pliers on that side of the LED, after one side is free heat-up the other side of the LED and lift the LED off the board.
There is an arrow at the bottom of the LED point the arrow in the same direction as the arrow on the circuit board and re=solder the LED (please Google “how to solder” if you are not familiar with soldering) (x30ish)

9. After repeating step 8 on all LED colors that you wish to change, then reverse the steps to put back together the Gauge Cluster (make sure you put the longer gauge needle on the speedometer)

hope this helps

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts

Last edited by vodkalush; 12-06-2006 at 07:57 AM.
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote