Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
slinkycat36

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Replaced dead battery, car won't start

I'm getting my Yaris towed in the morning but I'm hoping someone may have an idea on my issue. I left my dome light on overnight, and in the morning the car was dead. The first jumped started it after a few tries but once I turned the car off, it wouldn't start again. The second jump caused the horn to beep and then nothing. We replaced the battery and still nothing. Not wven making a trying to turn over noise. The only light that works is the door open light and the door open beep. I'm thinking ignition switch, starter or alternator. Anyone experienced this and have any input? Thanks!
slinkycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkycat36 View Post
I'm getting my Yaris towed in the morning but I'm hoping someone may have an idea on my issue. I left my dome light on overnight, and in the morning the car was dead. The first jumped started it after a few tries but once I turned the car off, it wouldn't start again. The second jump caused the horn to beep and then nothing. We replaced the battery and still nothing. Not wven making a trying to turn over noise. The only light that works is the door open light and the door open beep. I'm thinking ignition switch, starter or alternator. Anyone experienced this and have any input? Thanks!
Check the large fuses that are built into the positive battery terminal to start with. Also, do you have an alarm system, as the horn honking while jumping is not normal.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
slinkycat36

No alarm.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

And, no aftermarket keyless entry or remote starter?

If not, then definitely check the fuses. For the horn to honk on its own, the most likely reason would be having the battery cables reversed.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
slinkycat36

I do have an aftermarket keyless entry.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
slinkycat36

Sorry remote start aftermarket. Keyless entey came with the car
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkycat36 View Post
Sorry remote start aftermarket. Keyless entey came with the car
OK. So the remote starter is probably what it honking the horn. I would still check the fusible links, but also check the remote starter to make sure it is not hung. You could try disconnecting the battery for a minute to reset it, or if you have the manual for it, see if it has a diagnostic mode.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
slinkycat36

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
JimKellyfan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yep, check fuses. When I see this, I sometimes see where someone hooks up the jump cables Mcbackwards, and pop, fuse out. Boink, no start.
2010 Yaris sedan, TRD CAT back (sport muffler only, really), OBX header (relocated front AF sensor to front pipe), OBX throttle plate spacer, K&N filter (in stock air box-for now), TRD struts and shocks, Mexico Rough Road Springs x 4, new Yota sway bar links front, slotted/drilled rotors and Maxx brakes front, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid, 3M undercoated, 16" Konig Feathers Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3 + Tires
TRD rear sway bar, 4 GT Spec bars including: front strut brace 2 point, 4 point ladder brace, mid chassis brace and rear lower tie brace, rear hitch, [B]
JimKellyfan is offline   Reply With Quote