Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
LittleM@n

Drives: Yaris
Ebay timing chain kit

Hi,

I am rebuilding a 1NZ-FE engine, fitted on a EU Yaris TS, and I have some issues regarding the. Sprockets from the timing chain kit that I bought. More exactly, the sprockets are somehow a bit smaller, and the interior fitting guides are a bit larger, so the sprokets are not fixed, as the originals are. Is this a normal issue in this kind of kits?
I don't know what to do exactly, as I quite struggled to buy a timing kit that had all the 3 sprockets included to observe now that they're not good. My mechanic says that he would use the old sprokets, even if they're a little bit worn, they're better than the new ones...
Has anyone had this kind of issue before?

Thank you!
LittleM@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
No but I agree with your mechanic.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #3
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
How many km's on you old chain? The chain won't wear out the sprocket until it is really worn and been used that way for a while. I'd do what your mechanic said, chances are the sprocket isn't worn in too bad.

At least that how it works when it comes to fixing road and mountain bikes in regards to their chain/sprockets
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
LittleM@n

Ok, the problem was that the original sprocket was having a deeper fixing plate, while the new one had a profiled one, so it pushed the sprocket further out. Are there different sprokets for different years? Like, is it possible to have different camshafts?
The only ideea that came through my mind was that there are different stockets for normal 1nz and prius 1nz.
The vvt-i sprocket was fine though.
Here are some pics:

The chain was quite worn as I believe it had been driven without oil; the oil pump pieces were having very deep scratches, like they moved without fluids. The whole engine was very worn (pistons, cylinder walls, etc), and for only 142.000km, going without oil would be the only explanation.

Anyway, almost everything was changed with new pieces; I've bought an ebay engine shortblock, remanufactured with forged internals (Arias 9.0 pistons and Molnar rods), and after several hours I realised it's been redone by TBR, so, suddenly, I panicked :))))
Now, I'm very eager to see if I've bought a junk, or not.

I'll keep you guys updated ;)
Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 AM   #5
LittleM@n

A
Old 05-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleM@n View Post
A
Oh I understand now...
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
During my time as an engineer on various ships trading around the great lakes, as far as I can remember, in almost all power-trains, a chain will stretch far before a sprocket will wear-out.

Here's an excerpt from one of the large bore Sultzer engine manual:

With regards to the chain:

Quote:
Wear on the chain pins, bushes as well as the chain sprockets can all lead to a slackening off of the chain. This can lead to 'slap' and changing of cam timing.This alters the leads of the fuel pumps and exhaust valves.. The degree of angular displacement by checked using the manufacturer supplied poker gauge.

Chain damage occurs if the chain is too tight or too slack and the result is fatigue cracking of the links. If the tension is too tight, then this adds to the working stress of the chain. Insufficient tension leads to 'slap' with resultant damage to chain and rubbing strips. Vertical misalignment of the sprockets means rubbing at the side plates resulting in reduction of thickness and possible failure.

Recommended limit on stretch is about 1.5 to 2%, if max. movement of the tensioned is reached before the chain has reached its max. stretch then a pair of links may be removed. When max. stretch is reached, or if the chain shows signs of damage then the chain should be replaced.
And with regards to the sprockets:

Quote:
If you look at the faces of the sprocket teeth you'll see an indication of the amount of wear that has already occurred. This will be seen as a polished worn strip, about the pitch circle diameter, on each of the teeth as shown in the diagram.

If the depth of the wear, X, has reached a value equal to 10% of the dimension Y, then the sprocket has reached the end of its life and needs to be replaced. It's worth pointing out that low cost, poor quality sprockets on most industrial applications are a false economy. A good quality sprocket should last through the life of several chains before anything like the amount of wear shown here will have occurred.
These are generally good references.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Oh I understand now...
There is another post before his 'A' post that admins required to approve before we could see it. funny.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yeah I see it now LOL
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
LittleM@n

Sorry for the second post guys; i believe that tapatalk is sometimes making fun of me :)
If an admin is willing, the off-topic posts can be deleted.