Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
DenverDave

Drives: 2010 Hatchback
Removing A-pillar cover

I managed to get the cover unsnapped, but can't pull it clear of the pillar because there is a plastic piece with a knob on the end of it thru the slot on the cover. I can probably force the knob thru the slot with some needle-nose pliers, but I was wondering what purpose it served. Should I just cut it off?
DenverDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
You have to rotate the (yellow?) knob by 90° to push it through the hole. Its some kind of a retainer system. If the curtain shield airbag pops out of the roof this knob holds the cover in place (with a little clearance of course). Don't cut it off.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
DenverDave

Drives: 2010 Hatchback
I stopped by Toyota and talked to a guy in the Parts Dept. He couldn't find a diagram that depicted the piece, so he came out to my car and I showed it to him. His first comment was that it had to do with the air bag system, and that was probably why Toyota didn't offer an auto-dimming mirror as an option in 2010. He recommended against running a wire down the A-pillar because it could interfere with the air bag deployment. This is probably not enough to deter those of you who are experts, but it was enough to deter me. All I wanted was a temp and compass display, so I was going to install a CIPA 36400 mirror. Too much trouble, and it's not that cheap anyway. I took a photo of the piece but couldn't figure out how to attach it.
DenverDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
I stopped by Toyota and talked to a guy in the Parts Dept. He couldn't find a diagram that depicted the piece, so he came out to my car and I showed it to him. His first comment was that it had to do with the air bag system, and that was probably why Toyota didn't offer an auto-dimming mirror as an option in 2010. He recommended against running a wire down the A-pillar because it could interfere with the air bag deployment. This is probably not enough to deter those of you who are experts, but it was enough to deter me. All I wanted was a temp and compass display, so I was going to install a CIPA 36400 mirror. Too much trouble, and it's not that cheap anyway. I took a photo of the piece but couldn't figure out how to attach it.
I installed the auto-dim mirror and homelink in my Yaris from my 2005 Tacoma. I ran the wires down the A column in my 08 Yaris which doesn't have the side airbags. You could try to run the wires down the B column or C column.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
pariahdecss
Yarisomniac

Drives: 2009 5spd LB
Yes it is a retaining clip - you have to rotate it to get the cover off - but don't cut it, it is there for a reason . . . to prevent the A pillar cover from impaling you if the side curtain air bags deploy
pariahdecss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
Could anyone post some pics for this? Please?

I want to replace my tweeters... :/

Many thanks!
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #7
Lars
Yaris beginner

Drives: Yaris XP9F
I found a very nice how-to to get the a-pillar off here:

http://highfields-arc.co.uk/vehicles.../yaris2006.htm

If someone could post some pics for this it would be great... otherwise maybe I'll be the one doing it :p

Thanks!
Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #8
dj92
Embracing Curves

Drives: '14 Prius Executive
I've pulled a wire for my handsfree mic and a wire for the dimming mirror (from a Corolla, I still did not manage to make it fit...), I simply tied them to the wire which is already running down and checked whether it would interfere with the airbag - I doubt it will.
dj92 is offline   Reply With Quote