Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
TutorMe

Drives: Yaris
Doors Won't Lock

I just got an 07 Yaris hatch and I cannot lock my doors. It didn't come with a key fob and has no central locking switch. When I try to lock from the inside drivers side it just immediately unlocks. When I do this the passenger side also locks and unlocks. When I try to lock it from the outside the same thing happens. Every now and then I can turn the lock really fast a few times and trick it into locking. I cannot lock the hatch at all. Any idea of what could be wrong or a possible fix?

I tried to search, but couldn't find this exact problem. Thanks for any help.
TutorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like it has an aftermarket set of door actuators and one is not adjusted properly. Pop off the door cards and take a look.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
TutorMe

Drives: Yaris
Thanks man. I tried to get the door card off but had some trouble removing the manual window crank and ended up running out of time. Then while out running errands I shut the door on my right hand and messed it up pretty good so It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can get the door cards off to take a look.

I was able to pop the hatch panel off and look at that lock though. There was no aftermarket actuator on it, but it was sticking a lot so I lubed it up now the hatch locks. I'll reply here when I can get into the doors and see what's going on.

Thanks again.
TutorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TutorMe View Post
Thanks man. I tried to get the door card off but had some trouble removing the manual window crank and ended up running out of time. Then while out running errands I shut the door on my right hand and messed it up pretty good so It'll probably be a couple weeks before I can get the door cards off to take a look.

I was able to pop the hatch panel off and look at that lock though. There was no aftermarket actuator on it, but it was sticking a lot so I lubed it up now the hatch locks. I'll reply here when I can get into the doors and see what's going on.

Thanks again.
If they are OEM actuators, then the most likely cause is the lock cable being pinched between the door card and the door sheetmetal.