Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #1
poleshift

Drives: yaris sedan 08
Send a message via AIM to poleshift
Fuel level gauge question

Does anyone know how much gas approx. is left in the tank when the last bar starts blinking? And before engine starts sputtering empty.

poleshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 AM   #2
brbo

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Only on my first tank - just got it, but just as bar started to flash took 41L (10.9US gal), so I'd guess 8L (2US gal) app. by the book #'s
brbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
I believe the answer is 1.6 gals with the last bar flashing , IIRC.

I've never run mine out of fuel (nor do I plan too!) but I once fueled up and put in 10.6 gals to the first click so I know you can run them very low (not that you'd want to). I'm already looking for gas with two bars left on a trip and as soon as the last bar is blinking if I'm around my familiar stomping ground. There's been enough discussion here to let me know not to rely too heavily on the fuel gauge. I'm always "proving" the gauge by miles traveled.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
yea, the gauge is not a good gauge. The gas liner is rubber, and so it can expand and contract with the weather. Plus, the Yaris' scavenges fuel so well once you are out, the car isn't starting again.

I ran out of fuel once, there was no way the car was starting again, I even pushed it a bit, there was no gas to be had anywhere. The Yaris doesn't sputter at all, it just dies.

I just fill up when I see the last bar flash, the longest I've been since I ran out was 20 miles.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:02 AM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
yea, the gauge is not a good gauge. The gas liner is rubber, and so it can expand and contract with the weather. Plus, the Yaris' scavenges fuel so well once you are out, the car isn't starting again.

I ran out of fuel once, there was no way the car was starting again, I even pushed it a bit, there was no gas to be had anywhere. The Yaris doesn't sputter at all, it just dies.

I just fill up when I see the last bar flash, the longest I've been since I ran out was 20 miles.

Exactly, the car just shuts off with no hope of turning over. Add to that the tendency for the gauge(or sender) to fail and it gets kind of annoying. Two bars is empty for me now...I don't get any warning so I have to keep my eye on that gauge constantly(as constant as 35-40 mpg dictates anyways).

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #6
yarislady

Drives: 08 Yaris HB
Most of the time I only drop to half a tank but its always good to let it go down most of the way that way you clean out old gas that might be settling a little too low. You also burn up fuel pumps if you always run it too low.

Rob Cohen called, he needs his altezza's for the next Fast And The Furious
yarislady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
1.6 gallon left when it starts flashing and 1.1 gallons when it starts to flash faster, according to the manual. Too low for me!