Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Speedometer Calibration / DeMetrification

If you are wondering what the heck DeMetrification is, it is my new term for modifying a device intended to display in Metric units to display in English units.

Last month I finally figured out how to reprogram the odometer on our instrument cluster to allow for easier swapping of clusters (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41461).

The most common reason for wanting to swap clusters it to gain the OEM tachometer (for those in the US with 2009 or older manual transmission, non-S package Yaris, which did not have the tach). The problem is that S package MT liftbacks were not very common, so few clusters from them are available on eBay or from junkyards. On the other hand, all MT Canadian liftbacks had tachometer equipped clusters, so Kmh clusters are very easy to find for reasonable prices (typically under $100).

The problem, for those south of the border, with running a Canadian Kmh cluster is that (besides the large-number primary speed display being in Kmh) the odometer increments in kilometers.

After driving around for a couple day with an oscilloscope attached to the speed sensor input to the cluster, I was able to develop a device which measures the pulse width of the signal and replicates that signal, with the pulse width proportionally adjusted to allow the cluster to display in MPH as well as increment the odometer in miles. I also added a feature, which allows the user to make a fine adjustment to calibrate the speedometer to a GPS to account for variations in tire diameter, etc.

The device has four wires that connect to the right side connector on the speedometer (power, ground, speed signal in, and speedometer out). Normally the speed signal goes into the cluster and then out of the cluster (unmodified) to the ECM. In my initial testing I found that feeding the modified signal to the ECM on my automatic transmission Yaris caused some really odd shift point changes (since the ECM controls the AT). To eliminate this I simply disconnected the ECM output wire from the cluster and connected it to the input to the cluster (so that it sees the unmodified signal).

Note that once connected and calibrated, this device would not be mounted to the dash, but would simply be tucked under the instrument cluster.

Here is video of it in action. I apologize for the shakiness from my headrest mount.
http://youtu.be/KkUOgEvTYAY
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
any way you could post some pictures for us guys that can't see youtube at work? (yea, that part about my job really sucks)

amazing what you have figured out with the yaris.

you're awesome
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On the other hand, all MT Canadian liftbacks had tachometer equipped clusters
...and AT as well

There are absolutely no Yaris in Canada that did not have a tach.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
any way you could post some pictures for us guys that can't see youtube at work? (yea, that part about my job really sucks)

amazing what you have figured out with the yaris.

you're awesome

Here are a couple of snaps from the video. Basically, with a flick of a switch the needle moves from showing kmh to MPH on the large numbers:

Before.jpg

After.jpg
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
that's an awesome little thing there. I assume you are going to be selling these?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
that's an awesome little thing there. I assume you are going to be selling these?
I can definitely build some up for those interested. The ideal way to do it is to buy the cluster, and ship it to me for odo correction as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
The only downside to that would be that if we drive the cars while you have it, the mileage would be off (granted, not by much).

How much would you charge for the service on top of shipping? (I'm likely to do this ;0) )
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Wow, I had imagined doing something like this for my microcontroller class project this semester. Well, the speedo correction for tire sizes, anyway.

CTScott scores again!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Wow, I had imagined doing something like this for my microcontroller class project this semester. Well, the speedo correction for tire sizes, anyway.

CTScott scores again!
That would be a more fun project than the one I had to do 20+ years ago using a Motorola HC6811 microcontroller. My professor owned a lumber mill and our project was to simulate a control system (with PID control of the heating) for his lumber kiln using a toaster oven. We spent many late evenings in the lab writing code, drinking beer, and precisely cooking frozen pizza.

What family of micros do they have you working with?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
poorsh2

Drives: 2008 yaris hb
I have the cluster, tell me where to send it
poorsh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
...and AT as well

There are absolutely no Yaris in Canada that did not have a tach.
Why is that exactly?

I've noticed the same thing on AT corollas. I was kind of a bit shocked when I saw old american corollas and tercels with MT's and no tach too!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Here are a couple of snaps from the video. Basically, with a flick of a switch the needle moves from showing kmh to MPH on the large numbers:

Attachment 48678
The right hand side of that demetrified speedo is going to be awfully lonely!

Anywho, amazing work, again CTScott!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
That would be a more fun project than the one I had to do 20+ years ago using a Motorola HC6811 microcontroller. My professor owned a lumber mill and our project was to simulate a control system (with PID control of the heating) for his lumber kiln using a toaster oven. We spent many late evenings in the lab writing code, drinking beer, and precisely cooking frozen pizza.
The project used to be an open-ended "you choose it, you build it" paradigm, but some students were getting in WAY over their heads and not passing the course, while others were making something far too simple and walking away with an A. The solution last year? "Here's a list of common hand-held electronic device functions. Choose three. Go." The net result was things like audio playback with accelerometer response and short audio recording, etc. The solution this year? "Build an Arduino-based RC hovercraft for < $100. Go."

Quote:
What family of micros do they have you working with?
We start off with a Spartan3E FPGA, then move up to ATMEL Atmega644 and/or Arduino Uno. I'm trying to also use a PICAXE M2 in our controller, since they're cheap, low-power and super small (DIP-8 with 6 I/O pins!). What did you use for this little beasty?

Last edited by CrankyOldMan; 10-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorsh2 View Post
I have the cluster, tell me where to send it
We should just coordinate a day where you can come down and we'll install it.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
The project used to be an open-ended "you choose it, you build it" paradigm, but some students were getting in WAY over their heads and not passing the course, while others were making something far too simple and walking away with an A. The solution last year? "Here's a list of common hand-held electronic device functions. Choose three. Go." The net result was things like audio playback with accelerometer response and short audio recording, etc. The solution this year? "Build an Arduino-based RC hovercraft for < $100. Go."

[QUOTE}What family of micros do they have you working with?
We start off with a Spartan3E FPGA, then move up to ATMEL Atmega644 and/or Arduino Uno. I'm trying to also use a PICAXE M2 in our controller, since they're cheap, low-power and super small (DIP-8 with 6 I/O pins!). What did you use for this little beasty?[/QUOTE]

I used a PIC 18F series, as I needed the extra processing power. I exclusively work with PICs, since that is also what I use for work projects.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
07stlYaris
If Its Not Blown It Sucks

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Meteorite
Holy crap...I haven't heard 68HC11 uttered in over 15 years. My senior project was an open loop EFI for a lawnmower. It worked extremely well but would have doubled the cost of the mower. Neat stuff Scott.
P.S. Still working on the S/C from the Milennia for my Yaris.
07stlYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
poorsh2

Drives: 2008 yaris hb
Maybe another install day, as ong as it is on a sunday I am good to go
poorsh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07stlYaris View Post
Holy crap...I haven't heard 68HC11 uttered in over 15 years. My senior project was an open loop EFI for a lawnmower. It worked extremely well but would have doubled the cost of the mower. Neat stuff Scott.
P.S. Still working on the S/C from the Milennia for my Yaris.
I haven't touched a 6811 in about 10 years now. The robots I used to work with had a 68000 as the primary processor with a slew of 6811s as subsystem processors.

Did you actually purchase the S/C?

Tags
calibrate, speedometer, tach, tachometer