Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
What is the "flush" in a Toyota trans fluid replacement? (Of course, what it should be and what it actually is could be two different things.)
(If it isn't more than just drain and fill, then why call it "flush?" Flush to me would mean something like circulating additional fluid--trans fluid or something w/ solvent qualities-- between the drain and the fill.)
Typically there are no "flushes" anymore but instead "fluid exchanges". The word "flush" has just stuck around. Fluid exchange means hooking a pump up to the AT system and pushing new fluid in while old fluid comes out. It allows you to get much more of the old fluid out than a drain and fill. Typically you would have to do a drain and fill 3-4 time to get the same results as an exchange. Same goes for coolant exchanges.

Stay away from fuel services/additives. The Yaris has no need for them so long as you run decent fuel. The only modern engines I can think of that benefit from fuel cleaners are GDI and some Fords.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #20
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapokata View Post
MAF service is a scam, as is fuel tune up. Change the oil and filter every 5K (per the manual). Rotate Tyres about every 8K miles.

wrong. MAF needs to be cleaned every so often. dust and moisture WILL make it through your filter and end up coating the platinum sensor wire causing the engine to run richer when less flow is sensed from wire. it will even throw a code eventually after lots of build up.
fuel WILL eventually cause a gumming or varnish build up in injectors if you are not running them 24/7/365. when you turn off the engine, it will start the varnishing cycle. it may take 10+ years, but it will cause a fuel atomization issue in the spray pattern.
you can use brake cleaner on MAF, but MAF cleaner is specially formulated not to strip coating from sensor wire wile cleaning all debris from sensor.
a high quality fuel cleaner is easy to add to the fuel tank, like BG44k. the fuel line hook-up works good too, but is kind of a pain in the butt sometimes to set-up.
can of 44k is like $25
can of MAF cleaner is like $12
i'd recommend spending $37 every 2 years on your air and fuel system.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #21
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I thought the Yaris only had a MAP and not a MAF?
zoidberg444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:39 PM   #22
KimmoKekki

Drives: Yaris T-Sport
I think we in europe only have MAP versions
KimmoKekki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #23
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
oh wow! that'd be nice! I don't know if those ever need servicing. my last Honda was MAP and it never had an issue/service in the 340,000 miles I had it. I believe it was a Denso part, but it might have been an Asian part. (Factory) what's great about those is you don't need a metered air orifice opening.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote