Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
fidgell

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 door
ODD INTERIOR HEATING PROBLEM HELP NEEDED?!

The cables came off both the mixer and temperature spindles on the rear of the knobs and I couldnt get them back on....

I went the stealership and to my amazement they want $600 to replace the cables and spools

So, question is, has anyone done this in the comfort of their own garage??? I havent seen the "business end" of the cables or how to get to them but if anyone has Id like to know a bit more so I can DIY instead of bowing to the theives at Toyota.

Thanks.
fidgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have take the HVAC system completely apart on Crashy. Here's a picture of where the two control cables connect to on the side of the air box (behind the passenger glovebox.

HVAC Cables.jpg

And, here's the third - the inside/outside air portion completely removed, with the cable visible.

HVAC Cable 2.jpg

Did you actually damage the cable where it connects to the knob, or can you just not figure out how to get the end of the cable back on the knob correctly?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
fidgell

WOW, thanks for that the pictures will help loads.

One cable has stretched and so keeps falling off, the other wont stay on when turned either!!! I put the plug on the cable into the recess in the spool and fed each side of the cable around but neither will stay on and the service tech said the spool locks had broken, although i didnt notice it but one cable has definitely stretched. The stealership say it takes 6hrs to do hence the price and each spool/cable assembly is $46CAD each. I take it it wont take that long?

It looks fairly straight forward, ill probably tape the new cable to the old to feed through to the air box, attach the spools and press them in if that sounds about right?

Again, great stuff thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Six hours? Wow, they must plan to take 5 - 1 hour breaks while replacing them.

It really won't be bad to do. The HVAC controls are right in front of the airbox, so routing is easy. You should be able to get at the airbox side ones with just removing the glove box (you shouldn't need to remove the whole dash {which is where I believe their 6 hours is coming from}).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I'm amazed that wasnt covered by warranty,what excuse did the dealer give to weasel out of fixing the problem?
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
fidgell

Warranty is no more.... 175000km in 4 years!