Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
Yaris under load?

I'm planning a five thousand mile road trip with some friends for June. There will be 3-4 of us, and luggage for a week. Space won't be an issue, I've had more in my car for shorter trips, however, my car has the rear lowered about 1.5 inches on Eibach springs, and my Yaris seems to have an issue with more than about 500 pounds distributed evenly. The handling, acceleration, and braking suffer, as you would expect, and the rear sits very low to the ground. (I should really stop using the Yaris as a pickup truck... but it just does the job sooo well.)

I'm planning on putting load-balancing equipment in the back, and installing a front strut brace. I most likely will also install a short ram intake. I would rather not replace my rear springs - I like the way the car looks lowered a bit, and I have no idea where my stock springs have gone. Are there any other mods I should consider? Does anyone have any experience making their Yaris handle a load better? Should I be concerned about strain on the engine, with that much weight for that length of time? Thanks in advance for your advice!
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
CompanyXPaladin

Drives: 08 Yaris 5-speed
No replies yet, huh? That's alright, I suppose trial-and-error is my method of choice anyway. I'll be sure to post what I find works and what doesn't here for anyone who's interested..
CompanyXPaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Thats quite a question. Most of us just penny pinch our MPG, rice our our Yarii, or keep em stock.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
I was riding on eibach spring the same as yours, one time my previous company wants me to deliver 1000 sheet of mixed queen size and king size bed for a hotel, I was like is it going to fit into my yaris and will my yaris slam to the ground??????

I tried it and it fit nicely inside but the car is hella LOW, also I found it so hard to brake the car with that much load on the car.

I don't have suggestion on how you can handle the load better, but just drive on the slow lane and enjoy your road trip relax and nicely
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
You should install monroe max air rear shocks. If they don't offer a set on their web fitment guide, call them as they can fit your vehicle based on measurments and the type of mounts required. I know some people hauling loads in their Xb's have used these. Just add pressure to haul a load, then release it to ride low on your Eibach springs...

http://www.monroe.com/products/maxair.asp
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
andruboz
boohachimono

Drives: 07 hb
Send a message via AIM to andruboz
try a few short trips first. don't wait till june to see how its going to work. should be a bunch of folks here with stock springs in the garage if you need to buy a set. i know i got a set in the shed..
andruboz is offline   Reply With Quote