Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #307
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
This is confusing because My harness is the same as yours.

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 11-03-2018 at 09:57 PM.
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #308
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Thanks Tom. Defintely the same configuration, but different wires. Not sure if they serve the same functions as I haven't looked at the Corolla diagrams much.

Down the rabbit hole...

If I actually got a 2008 xD ECU, then it appears - in its stock form- to be incompatible with both my harness and transmission. For one thing the 2008 ECU only appears to feed 8 wires to the connector. And, the SLT+ and SLT - pins are not the same between my Yaris and the xD harness.

From what I'm seeing - from my limited understanding - I need a different ECU, or figure out if the one I have will work and I need to swap some pins in the harness at the ECU. I still have to look at my ECU overall to be sure that those spots even have pins and if they are assigned to something else.

I will try to refrain from asking a lot of questions as I've done an awful lot of that over the past couple months. But, feel free to chime in if you are so inclined.

Once this is all over, I'll spend some time cleaning up my thread.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-03-2018 at 10:21 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:06 AM   #309
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Wow. I apologize. I wasn’t aware they changed the pins in 2011. So it looks like you need to do the same pin swap I had to at the ECM. Here is the link to how I did it:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=56031&page=5

So it looks like at some point they started using corolla parts on the xD, right before it was discontinued. Great work pulling up the info!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:11 AM   #310
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

If you want to know how all of these ECTS wires work and why ill give a brief explanation. Each one of the inputs corresponds to a solenoid, these solenoids move when activated by the ECM and allow line pressure(about 800psi) to activate their wet clutches. The holding and releasing of these clutches manipulate how the planetary gears "simulate" gears.

Solenoids are just an electrical load device, they need a positive and negative circuit to operate. Just like a bulb, here we're moving wires around in the harness to make those solenoid circuits complete.

The Yaris ETCS has a different layout than ALL of the 1.8L cars due to its sub-compact nature. So we are never going to have a simple "plug-n-play" AT swap.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:28 AM   #311
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Wow. I apologize. I wasn’t aware they changed the pins in 2011. So it looks like you need to do the same pin swap I had to at the ECM. Here is the link to how I did it:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=56031&page=5

So it looks like at some point they started using corolla parts on the xD, right before it was discontinued. Great work pulling up the info!
Thanks Tom! I really appreciate the explanation of how it works. How could you possibly be aware of every change that is made by the manufacturer? I just looked at your link to your pin swap.

It looks like I do have to swap 57 to 58. The 2008 xD does not reference Pin 9 at all. I wonder if that is why it is grounded. There is no mention of SLU+ and SLU- on the 2008 pinout. I wonder if I need a different ECU.

Here is an update picture that includes a 2009 Corolla. As far the 2009 Corolla and 2011 xD ECTS is concerned, the pins are identical. I still can't get my head around the changes in the xD ECU between 2008 and 2011.

I am wondering if I should just go out and do as you say - switch 57 to 58, ground 9 and test it.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-04-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #312
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
At work, can't play with diagrams, but given what you have there I can see your problem..

All pins trans side are consistent in function (same trans), BUT - pin 9 should be ground as Tom noted; the 2008 ECM doesn't supply an SLU-, it uses a local ground instead it looks like.

At the ECM the 2008 and 2011 xD differs on pins for SLU+/- and SL. Pin 57 on your 2011 harness needs to move to pin 58 to match the 2008 ECM; you've already cut the wire at pin 77 - just make sure it's not used elsewhere and is taped and isolated to avoid issues..

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #313
06YarisRS

Thanks Adam! I'm going to do the swaps as per Tom's and your directions. At hockey again today, so it will be a bit later. I'm going to practice removing ECU pins on my Yaris harness before tackling the xD harness in the car.

I will definitely post back with the results.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #314
06YarisRS

I cannot for the life of me get these darn terminals out! I am practicing on my spare Corolla harness that came with my engine. I'm in the correct release hole, wiggling the safety pin around, the white slide lock is pushed out the required mm. Maybe my pin is too small. I've looked at a close up pic of the actual terminal.

Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #315
06YarisRS

OK, finally managed to get a couple of pins out. How easily should they come out? It took a bit of force and made a little snap sound. The terminal appears undamaged.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #316
atomic_hoji

My experience is that usually if the retaining bar/clip is fully disengaged and the pin has the internal clip out of the way a bit of a gentle tug will slide it out. Generally force and a snap sound means the plastic internal clip is busted. You can check by reinserting the terminal - it will feel sloppy if broken..

Good news is you're pulling out of one and into another pin slot, so if you break the internal clip you're probably OK, as long as you don't damage the metal terminal; and/or no other terminal needs to use that pin slot.

-- Adam
Old 11-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #317
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
My experience is that usually if the retaining bar/clip is fully disengaged and the pin has the internal clip out of the way a bit of a gentle tug will slide it out. Generally force and a snap sound means the plastic internal clip is busted. You can check by reinserting the terminal - it will feel sloppy if broken..

Good news is you're pulling out of one and into another pin slot, so if you break the internal clip you're probably OK, as long as you don't damage the metal terminal; and/or no other terminal needs to use that pin slot.

-- Adam
Thanks Adam! Well, it is done, but I wouldn't call the pin removal easy. LOL! Of course, since I was doing it on the car, despite my best effort to save the wee rubber plug, it found a new home somewhere in the engine bay! I used a very fine tip on my tube of rtv sealant and put a small dab in the newly opened hole.

Standby for a pic!

Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #318
06YarisRS

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Thank you gentlemen!!! It was the pin swap from 57 to 58 that cleared the codes. I had 5 - 6 starts, running 5 - 10 minutes each, a similar number of scans and not one MIL, except of course when I jumped in and fired it up without putting the intake tube back on. I got MAF error, but that disappeared after re-install and startup.

I redid conduit and tape around the trans connectors and ziptied everything. It looks great.

One other thing I'd like to do is slightly bend my transmission dipstick tube a touch toward to the driver's side. It's hard to get out past the upper rad hose.

Here is a pic with everything (in the engine bay, at least) put back together.

I am just so itching to take this bad boy for a run.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-04-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #319
atomic_hoji

Virtual high five buddy! glad you got it sorted out.

Now get out and go for a rip..

-- Adam
Old 11-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #320
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Virtual high five buddy! glad you got it sorted out.

Now get out and go for a rip..

-- Adam
Thanks Adam! Rip will likely happen tomorrow evening. Gotta get all the panels and such back on.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #321
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Huge congrats to you sir for figuring this out!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #322
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Huge congrats to you sir for figuring this out!
Thanks Tom, but it was you who figured it out originally! I was just riding on your coat tails. You guys have been simply awesome, from my initial inspiration to do the swap, down to the technical details. It's definitely a different thing to break new trail, than to copy what others have done. That said, I'm pretty happy I managed to pull it off. In my first post, I said it would be the most involved car-related project I've done, and that it was. Haha.

Now...time to start in on learning to beef up the 1NZ internals for forced induction....joking!

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-04-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #323
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Congrats on the swap! Enjoy a much needed sleep lol

I'm surprised the 2011 harness is different then the 2008, guess we all learned something new on this swap. This is also one of the reasons I want to put out a thread going over these things.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #324
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Congrats on the swap! Enjoy a much needed sleep lol

I'm surprised the 2011 harness is different then the 2008, guess we all learned something new on this swap. This is also one of the reasons I want to put out a thread going over these things.
Thanks. Yes, I too was surprised but ultimately thankful that it just required the pin swap. Maybe a quick review of wiring diagrams before posting could confirm any other differences in the years if there are any. I could do that as a contribution.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 11-05-2018 at 06:14 AM.