Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
pawsplus

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3-door liftback
Can you put cruise control on a 5-speed?

I have no idea. Just wondering. My previous car (94 Corolla automatic) had CC and I will probably miss it eventually (2010 5-speed Yaris 3dr). Can I have it added if I do or does CC not work on a 5-speed?
pawsplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
bitz767

Drives: 2010 Black Manual 3 door
My 2010 3 door 5 speed has cruise installed from the factory, and would not have done it any other way.

look in the DIY section for a how to on adding cruise. You can go cheapo, or do the factory style install.
bitz767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
pawsplus

Great! I do NOT work on my own cars. ;) Would doing it through my own mechanic do anything to the warranty? If so I might just wait until I'm done w/ the warranty -- I put 32K on a car a year, so alas it won't be long.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
65tuxedo
Tuxedo

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
take it to the dealer and have cc put on. It doesn't come from the factory,cc is installed at the dealership. Shop around, some dealers charge more than others. I love the cruise in mine, use it every day. Its worth the cost.
65tuxedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I have the dealer installed CC on my 5 speed sedan. It works like a charm.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
Has anyone had a dealer cruise control installed on a 2008 L-Back???

TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
teddy

Drives: 2008 5-door hatchback
Send a message via MSN to teddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMarty View Post

Yep, I had dealer installed cruise control installed last summer on my 5dr 2008 hatchback. It's the 4-speed auto though, not 5-speed.
teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
pawsplus

So approx. how much does it cost? Ballpark?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
teddy

it was around $500 (cdn)
Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:

don't let the dealer do it... DIY it. So that you don't have that extra stick on the steering wheel column.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
TRDMarty

So you're saying that there are ''2'' sticks?? 2 on one side and the single on the other?? (control handles) A total of 3??

teddy, did the dealer install an additional handle on the column on yours for a total of 3??

Question; If you were lucky enough to actually get c/control from the factory, did it come on as a single handle or did it come with 2 handle controlls??

Wow!! this is confusing
Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
So you're saying that there are ''2'' sticks?? 2 on one side and the single on the other?? (control handles) A total of 3??

teddy, did the dealer install an additional handle on the column on yours for a total of 3??

Question; If you were lucky enough to actually get c/control from the factory, did it come on as a single handle or did it come with 2 handle controlls??

Wow!! this is confusing
There are 2 cruise stalks.

The true OEM one gets installed on the right side of the steering wheel and uses the built in functionality of out ECM. 09+ Yaris can use this option without an issue, as they have the indicators on the cluster and the wiring from the ECM to the steering column.

The Rostra aftermarket one is the one typically installed as a dealer or port installed option. It gets installed on the left side of the steering column and has its own indicator LED on the stalk.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
TRDMarty

Thanks CTScott for the info.
So when the dealer does the installation, it is a aftermarket unit (Rostra)??
Not a genuine Toyota part?? The dealer can't obtain the true OEM unit??
Old 03-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
teddy

Mine is the Rostra one on the left side of the steering column (stationary, like the signal light and wiper stalks). I was kinda disappointed since I was under the impression the Rostra was only something you order and install yourself.

Like CTScott said, it has an indicator directly on it, but it has no way to tell you whether or not you've got it "set". Even worse, the wheel completely blocks it, so I can't see if it's on unless the wheel is turned or I move my head.

My father-in-law's Prius has the OEM cruise with the stalk on the right side of the wheel itself (it turns with the steering wheel). I found this one far more comfortable to use.

I'm not sure where you're getting this 3 handle idea from though, unless you are referring to the

Quote:
So when the dealer does the installation, it is a aftermarket unit (Rostra)??
Not a genuine Toyota part?? The dealer can't obtain the true OEM unit??
I imagine it would be more work (and money) to install the true OEM unit. My instrument cluster doesn't have a cruise indicator, so that would probably need to have been swapped out. There might be other stuff inside that might have needed changing as well.

Last edited by teddy; 03-05-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post

I imagine it would be more work (and money) to install the true OEM unit. My instrument cluster doesn't have a cruise indicator, so that would probably need to have been swapped out. There might be other stuff inside that might have needed changing as well.
It is actually far less work to install the OEM one than the Rostra one, but on Yaris prior to 09, you would not have any indicator (unless you used the indicator module that I build for DIYers). I don't believe that swapping the cluster alone would make the indicator work, as I've found that the 07 and 08 ECMs don't send the CAN bus messages to the cluster for turning the cruise indicator(s) on.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:35 AM   #16
Saggio
Top Notch!

Drives: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is actually far less work to install the OEM one than the Rostra one, but on Yaris prior to 09, you would not have any indicator (unless you used the indicator module that I build for DIYers). I don't believe that swapping the cluster alone would make the indicator work, as I've found that the 07 and 08 ECMs don't send the CAN bus messages to the cluster for turning the cruise indicator(s) on.

What type of kit do you make? I want cruise on my 08 manual
liftback. Would be nice to have OEM type install.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggio View Post
What type of kit do you make? I want cruise on my 08 manual
liftback. Would be nice to have OEM type install.

I don't make a complete kit, but I do make a device that provides an indicator for 06-08 Yaris, which don't have the indicator on the cluster. The link below is a FAQ that I put together to pull all of the info together. It has info about my indicator module:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ght=faq+cruise