Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #19
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
the wr intake dynoed with increase of 10 TQ and 11 HP without moving air (i think, according to the vid) so, either way, not too shabby!
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #20
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
I'm curious about what the characteristics of a Weapon-R type (short) intake might be vs. the characteristics of a longer intake like the AEM or the TRD. Which type of intake is going to give me better low-end torque and will not hurt my mpg? I would love to go with a more efficient intake for better everyday drivability, and more power is certainly OK, but I don't want to sacrifice much in fuel economy.

Thoughts?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Boris brings up a good point. If you're serious about the life of your car, you shouldn't be buying products based on the amount of hp/torque you gain alone. There are more important factors to consider.

This is why I lean so hard towards the TRD intake. If Toyota would put their seal of approval on it, it obviously must be built to work in conjunction with the 1NZ-FE to provide stable, reliable power. Notice the piping length is inbetween the AEM and WR versions. Its a happy medium.

I am going to try and work with the guys at The Race Car Factory here in Ohio to get a viable american-made TRD intake replica. However, I need to show them that there is enough interest in the aftermarket to warrant the development of a part like this, so if you want to help go check out this thread.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2857

Let us know what you as an American consumer would like to see for the Yaris, and I'll pass the good word along.

The Race Car Factory is an awesome company, and they aren't one of those that hopped on board after the F&F came out. They've been in the business for 30 years. They develop superchargers and do R&D for the likes of Greddy and Vortech, and also are involved in NHRA/IHRA... one of those true "we can do anything" speed shops. I talked the guys ear off about this forum, this community, and our car, and I think he sensed my excitement. So like I said, let us know what you want to see.

When I toured the shop yesterday, they had some amazing projects. The one that caught my attention was a motorcycle that got a rear axle to convert it to a trike. They then stretched the chassis about 5 feet, had a chopped Ford Model A body waiting to be mounted up to it, and sitting next to it was an 800 hp Ford V8 that was awaiting install. That was one of the most unique projects I've ever seen.

They also had a 3000 hp funny car that just got back from a drag featured on ESPN. All in all there was about 12,000 HP in the room and only 12 cars, ranging from two Dodge Darts to a Datsun with a heavily-modded 4G63 to a brand new RX-8 that was putting 400 hp to the rear wheels with the help of the Greddy e-manager, which RCF helped develop. I left with quite the horsepower woodie.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:50 PM   #22
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Excellent point, ChinoCharles. Toyota tests and certifies 'performance' products to keep reliability within a certain parameter; i.e., engine life. They then give these 'specs' to companies that already make these products to 'private brand' them. To that end, the company you site could produce products that meet these requirements (clone them) at a much more competive price. I'd be very interested in an intake, sway bars, braces as these are the easiest to produce.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #23
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
how come the CAI isn't listed on TRD Japan's offerings for the Vitz? http://trdparts.jp/english/list_new-vitz.html they only have the sports air filter which fits into the stock air box. it seems there are not nearly as many japanese companies offering CAIs as compared to their north american counterparts. why is that?
Doc Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:31 AM   #24
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
how much life would a supercharger take away from this lil engine that could?
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote