Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
laurenth

Drives: yaris
windshield washer pump troubles

Hi,
I have an 04 1.0 and the front windshield washer pump was getting weaker and weaker on me then totally quit so I decided to replace it.
So I plug the new one and it doesn't work... after switching the wiring with the rear one it runs fine: it's apparent that it isn't getting electric current.
The fuses under the hood are all ok, where should I look? do switches at the steering go bad?

Edit: clarification.

Last edited by laurenth; 07-11-2016 at 03:43 AM.
laurenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
maybe clogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenth View Post
Hi,
I have an 04 1.0 and the front windshield washer pump was getting weaker and weaker on me then totally quit so I decided to replace it.
So I plug the new one and it doesn't work... after switching the wiring with the rear one it runs fine: it's apparent that it isn't getting any juice.
The fuses under the hood are all ok, where should I look? do switches at the steering go bad?
If at anytime you ran just water, you could have algae or some other junk. Check to be sure the tank is clean and nothing in clogging the intake and then go from there.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:42 AM   #3
laurenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
If at anytime you ran just water, you could have algae or some other junk. Check to be sure the tank is clean and nothing in clogging the intake and then go from there.
Poor wording of mine: by any juice I meant electric current.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Did you try plugging the hose for the front sprayers to the rear pump? Make sure the lines or the nozzles aren't plugged up.

Next step would be to take a Voltage reading.

Check the plug to make sure there is no corrosion in the connector. I've never heard of a switch going bad, but it is possible for a mechanical switch to fail.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 AM   #5
laurenth

" Did you try plugging the hose for the front sprayers to the rear pump?"
Yep, no clogging, I switched to my rear pump for now since it isn't as crucial as the front.

there should be a relay somewhere to take some voltage reading but where, I don't know.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:11 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I don't think theres a relay.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote