Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2009, 02:52 AM   #37
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
That's our goal!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #38
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
Well you're definately not running as lean as noogie and I. I ordered a scangauge II from garm tonight. Hopefully I'll get it soon and have more accurate readings.
What is it you're trying to monitor with the Scangauge?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #39
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Most likely ignition timing at different RPM during WOT. We might be able to compare this to his air/fuel ratio from the dyno run.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #40
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
I was pretty sure that lean = more power..? But more dangerous.

I still have yet to buy gauges, so I can't be any help to you guys right now. Although (interestingly, whoopeee) I remember taking some rubber line off something and there being a fair bit of oil/muck inside it. Don't know which line. But perhaps I should get an oil catch-can too.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #41
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Zaius View Post
The guy who did my dyno was saying all cars are different. Some guys make their cars run lean because their car responds with more HP when it is lean. Other guys lose HP when it is ran lean. I guess the Yaris is the case of a car losing HP when running lean at higher RPMs.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #42
LtNoogie

I've contacted my dyno guy to see how much he charges to tune this little beast. Afterall, it's now my little project car.

As a side note, I set the S/C to OFF this morning when I got on the freeway. I did not see any ignition retard down to single digits. I am only guessing but this tells me that the ECU is sensing pre-igition during boost and is retarding the timing, which is what my pictures showed in the other thread. That can't be good for engine life or max power output. When there's no boost and no pre-ignition, the ECU leaves the inigition timing in the low to mid 20's.

Last edited by LtNoogie; 03-24-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #43
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
There needs to be a harmony, thats why theres a recommended range for supercharged vehicles

More fuel = more allowable ignition advance.

You ideally want no knock correction as it takes the ECU a bit for every degree of correction where you lose a severe amount of power. It should really be checked on the cars with misfired on how bad it is!!!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #44
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Hi Long. Have you considered maybe one of your fuel injectors might be clogged? I try running a high quality injector cleaner in your gas and see if the condition improves. You are trying to eliminate all variables?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM   #45
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
could the power enterprises camcom correct a/f ratios by manually advancing or retarding the timing?

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #46
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
could the power enterprises camcom correct a/f ratios by manually advancing or retarding the timing?
To correct the AFR you need to add or sustract fuel not timing.

However, by sustracting enough timing you can make the car run safe even with those lean AFR's you guys are seeing.

Theoretically you could tune the car with the Camcom... however, I haven't seen any camcom sucsesfully installed in a Yaris.... yet.

Some times you can find those for cheap on ebay... it worths a shot.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #47
LtNoogie

I can't wait to see what a properly tuned Blitz'd Yaris can put out. I know we've been admonished not to put larger injectors on this car but hear me out on this theory.

What if the current fuel system with the Blitz piggyback fuel controller cannot pump enough fuel into the cylinders during WOT, leading to a lean condition. The ECU detects pre-ignition and has to retard timing to protect the engine, and as a consequence robs us of the maximum power the S/C can put out.

If I put slightly, not hugely, larger injectors in the car, it may run less lean during WOT and the ignition retard is less, giving more power. During idle or light throttle, the ECU detects a rich condition from the O2 sensor and is able to dial back the fuel to maintain proper AFR. Remember, I said slightly larger injectors, not fire hoses. If the increase in fuel is within the ECU's cabability to control, that could just work.

Anyhow, that's the theory I want to present to my dyno guy if I have him tune the car.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #48
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
^^^ Quite excited about the sound of that!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #49
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Garm's car has been running with TC injectors on the OEM ECU right?

And iirc he didn't had any idle or part throttle problems... just a lean condition at WOT... but that was @ 180 whp

I say your theory is worth a shot if you can find some injectors for cheap.

Look for injectors from a Celica GTs, corolla/ matrix XRS. I think those are a little smaller than the TC's.

You can look into the 6 gen celica forums for those..
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #50
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

well holy crap if that the case, are you maxxing out the stock ones? any way to tell? I mean anything over what? 85% efficiency is bad you want it from atleast 65% to be running somewhat safe?

But see this is the problem, you have no way to scaled the injectors constant and must calculate this pretty good based on the amount of fuel it will be dumping in there....Larger injector + same constant = stays open for a longer time = more fuel = richer afr.... good luck

On a GT28 1.8T A4 I was tuning it started out with 210 or 280cc depending on the fpr with an afr of 11-12 while driving, swapped in the 550cc knocked us down to around 8.5-9.0 before i properly calculated the scalar to bring it back up. just to give you a headsup.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #51
LtNoogie

That's why I'm leaving this to a professional tuner. I'd end up with stacks of different size injectors and totally frustrated.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #52
turboecho2005

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Megasquirt is a viable option! it can be done... and it has been done....

I am running it in my car. Its not overly complicated either if you have a little bit of electronics background. I have helped to install and tune with megasquirt before.

Any shop should be able to make you a wiring harness.

1987 Nissan Maxima - 40,000 original miles - Slammed
1991 Isuzu Impulse RS AWD Turbo - approx 250hp - Winter Beater
1989 Isuzu Imark RS - Mint Condition - 0 rust - 100% factory :) - Summer Cruiser - 100% restored
1986 VW Jetta Wolfsburg - 120,000km - Mint condition. TDI swap in progress
turboecho2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #53
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Quote:
I am running it in my car. Its not overly complicated either if you have a little bit of electronics background. I have helped to install and tune with megasquirt before.
I don't know if they have a standalone and a plug in play but ive only seen standalone, but im sure you can wire it in tandem.

did you install it on a yaris or an echo?
Old 03-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #54
LtNoogie

Ok, I just spent a half hour on the phone with dyno guy. He does not recommend that I start with larger injectors or more powerful fuel pump. He recommends a boost-sensitive adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

He also states that his expertise is with muscle cars and not ligament cars. (my words )

Hey, we have enough Blitz'd owners on this forum now that each of us should try one tuning method and report back. And then we slowly go from there!

I hear crickets chirping.