Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
phooka13

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 2D Silver
Replacing right rear bumper reflector

Hello,

A few weeks ago a D-Bag backed into my car in a parking lot and shattered my right rear bumper reflector (no note BTW). I'm finally getting around to ordering a replacement and was hoping for some insight/advice on where to purchase from. Is there a good site to order genuine toyota parts like that?

I was looking on ebay and found:
Right Passenger Side Rear Bumper Reflector 2012-2012 Toyota Yaris

Will that work and will it match the color of the stock version that's on the left side?

Also, does anyone have a link to a "How-To" guide on replacing it? I'm hoping that i'll just need a screwdriver to pop out the old one.

Thank you for reading!
phooka13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
According to the service manual there are two clips and two nuts on the back of the bumper skin that hold each on.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
phooka13

Awesome, that shouldn't be too hard to install. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
phooka13

replacement completed

Hello, I hope everyone had a good holiday. After a crazy new year I finally got around to replacing my right rear bumper reflector and figured I'd post the pics to assist others. The passenger side looks a hell of a lot easier to replace than the driver side due to the cars frame, so I guess I got lucky?

What you'll need:
Flat head screwdriver (used to pop off clips)
Phillips head screwdriver (used to screw in/out reflector screw)

Here are the damages done:

Step 1: Removing the rear bumper side seal

Use a flat head screw driver to pop off the side seal clips. Push to pop off the middle part of the clips, NOT under the clip completely. The clip head will pop out a little and then you remove the entire clip. There are four clips total, two under the bumper and two next to the wheel.

Clip:

Clip head:

Side clips:

All parts:

Step 2: Removing the reflector

Use the Phillips head screwdriver to unscrew the reflector. Use a flat head to pop off any ridges/lips if needed.

reflector screw:

Other pics:

More damage:

The replacement reflector didn't fully slide back in to place and is a little loose. The screw keeps it in sturdy enough but gap was noticeable. I'm sure it is due to the bumper damage and not the aftermarket part. Looking back I should have either wedged something underneath or use a paperclip as a clip of some kind.

Step 3: Screw in the new reflector

Step 4: Re-install the side seal
Slide the clips all the way in the hole and press the clip heads to lock it.

Step 5: Job done!

I spaced out and forgot to take a picture of the end result so i'll upload one later. I might get a new bumper cover later down the road but for now some silver paint will work for the scratches/scuff marks. Now to get her all cleaned up!
Old 01-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
phooka13

Job completed pics:

Ride side compared to left side:

Full bumper pic:

There is still work to be done but it looks a hell of a lot better than before. I used a $15 TYC reflector and the job time was around 30 - 40 minutes. The quote I got was $125 because they would have to take the bumper off, bullshit! Fucking body shop was going to rip me off! Anyways, I hope it helps someone and save them some cash.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
hondajt

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5Dr
Anyone still have these pictures saved somewhere? I'm trying to add an led to these rear reflectors, and would love to see the clips that hold the reflectors in.
hondajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #7
beefcake
I've made a post!

Drives: 2013 yaris
I have some pics of a new TYC reflector, they are held in with a philips head screw and a couple clips.

... It looks like I can't upload pics due to a security token is missing.
I'll figure it out and get back to you.
beefcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Eforno

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2014 LE
Do you still have photos for this?
Eforno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #9
landrymi
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2014
For replacing the driver side rear bumper reflector, is someone knowing if the whole plastic envelope of the bumper must be removed?
As explained by phooka13, the passenger side replacement seems much more easier. Is it possible to proceed with the same method for the driver side?
landrymi is offline   Reply With Quote