Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
alby_yaris

Drives: yaris
This is how we learn to drive..in Italy

Have you ever asked yourself how do we learn to drive..in Italy
Well..you learn to drive with a manual D-4D yaris

In your city, which car does driving school have?

Last edited by alby_yaris; 06-22-2013 at 09:13 AM.
alby_yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
2o6

Drives: 2007 Liftback
We've got a couple different driving schools. When I took it three years ago, I drove a 2002 4CYl Automatic Galant. One of the driving schools uses a Yaris Sedan, and most of them use cheap second hand midsizers and compacts (Focus, Prizm, Malibu, ect).
2o6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I lived way out in the county so we used decommissioned police cars (crown vics I think) to learn how to drive. ragged doesn't even begin to describe them. I will say that was like 15+ years ago so maybe that has gotten better.

they were all automatics.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
alby_yaris

that's nice. So let me get this, in the US you learn to drive with automatic cars?
I didn't know that

Here are other yaris of the same driving school I was talking before..

Now, we've got also a black 3rd gen yaris, but I still have no pics of it..
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
Alby, if only you knew how much American's love their automatics. I want to say that in 2008 something like only 8% of all cars sold in the U.S. were manual transmission. Driver's Ed is almost exclusively automatic, and being licensed automatic automatically allows you to legally drive manual, even if you've never drove a standard in your life. Personally I think everyone should learn stick, it'd cut down on a lot of the idiots I see texting while driving, but I digress.

My driver's ed car was a red ford taurus. Four weeks of classroom instruction, and three days of driving on the weekend and I was good to go. That was how it worked for me in high school, and that wasn't too long ago.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
alby_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabro View Post
being licensed automatic automatically allows you to legally drive manual, even if you've never drove a standard in your life.
here, it's the opposite..
You learn with manual, but then you can legally drive automatic cars..
Honestly, I think this is more logic, isn't it?!

Anyways, it's clear your schools do this because they see a great part of Americans drive only automatic cars..
Old 12-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
learning a manual first does make a lot more sense. I learned how to drive a stick (kind of) when I was 12-13 on an old international tractor. no tach, not even a speedometer. those were the good ole days.

I honestly think it should be required to learn how to drive a stick. I went without a stick shift vehicle for about 2 years and it was something I missed. I usually have one of each.

us americans are very strange indeed. I honestly wish it were harder to get a license as it would cut down on the "silliness" on the roads around here but there again, it is what it is.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
I agree, the European way is much more logical. When I lived in Germany, I saw a lot of people driving dangerously, but usually speed was the only factor (speeding through neighborhoods etc.) Here in America it seems to be stupidity that plays the dangerous factor, weaving in and out, speed, texting, people that can't drive straight while on a cell phone, and most of all people that drive SUVs and other driver giant vehicles, who just plain suck at driving. In Germany, chances are if I was to be in an accident, I'd be hit by a sedan, or smaller more economical car. Where I live now, chances are if I get hit, it is going to be by a Ford Expedition or a Cadillac Escalade.

Driver's ed in America is so easy to the point where its creating a dangerous environment for everyone on the road, every nation has its dumb drivers, but I have to tell you New Orleans has the highest concentration I've seen, and I've lived in a lot of places in both the U.S. and abroad.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Family members in California who are in their mid to late 60s learned within driver training fleets that were all automatic transmission fleets. I have never seen or heard of a driver training car in the U.S. that has a manual transmission. Sad. I think it should be a requirement to learn on a manual.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Alby, if only you knew how much American's love their automatics. I want to say that in 2008 something like only 8% of all cars sold in the U.S. were manual transmission. Driver's Ed is almost exclusively automatic, and being licensed automatic automatically allows you to legally drive manual, even if you've never drove a standard in your life. Personally I think everyone should learn stick, it'd cut down on a lot of the idiots I see texting while driving, but I digress.

My driver's ed car was a red ford taurus. Four weeks of classroom instruction, and three days of driving on the weekend and I was good to go. That was how it worked for me in high school, and that wasn't too long ago.
I agree...and the 'driving a manual would cut down on texting' is an especially good point.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
I agree, the European way is much more logical. When I lived in Germany, I saw a lot of people driving dangerously, but usually speed was the only factor (speeding through neighborhoods etc.) Here in America it seems to be stupidity that plays the dangerous factor, weaving in and out, speed, texting, people that can't drive straight while on a cell phone, and most of all people that drive SUVs and other driver giant vehicles, who just plain suck at driving. In Germany, chances are if I was to be in an accident, I'd be hit by a sedan, or smaller more economical car. Where I live now, chances are if I get hit, it is going to be by a Ford Expedition or a Cadillac Escalade.

Driver's ed in America is so easy to the point where its creating a dangerous environment for everyone on the road, every nation has its dumb drivers, but I have to tell you New Orleans has the highest concentration I've seen, and I've lived in a lot of places in both the U.S. and abroad.
I agree with all of this, but the thing that pulls my chain the most (and is worst in Houston, Southern California, and South Florida IMO) are people who haven't been paying attention to how soon their exit is coming up, notice (from the #1 or #2 lane) their exit at the last minute, and have the 'I can't possibly be inconvenienced by going to the next exit' attitude and cut over to the exit, irrespective of how dangerous this might be. I have personally seen an accident happen in front of me (in Houston) when a person did this.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
alby_yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby_yaris View Post
Now, we've got also a black 3rd gen yaris, but I still have no pics of it..
Here is the black one I was talking about..hope you like it

Old 06-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #13
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
In Barbados we used to learn on these and all of course were manual. Now most everyone learns on an automatic CAR....yuk Lotta ppl can't drive.

ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
nevplus

Drives: 2008 vitz rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobear View Post
In Barbados we used to learn on these and all of course were manual. Now most everyone learns on an automatic CAR....yuk Lotta ppl can't drive.

hahah im one of those ppl who learnt on an automatic car.. i have driven the suzuki carry van before tho.. those things had the most vague gearboxes ever.. not to mention the crumple zone is your knees..
nevplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Can't tell what kind of car this is... But they use all kinds here.
I've seen Dodge Avengers, Toyota Prius's, Etc.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
In arkansas I rarely see driving school cars...hmm. Explains a lot. There is an old white corolla I see every now and then though.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #17
marcwa
I've made a post!

Hi,
and this is car of mine own driving school in POLAND
Attached Images

marcwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #18
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
here are ours... most of them are automatic.

We do have the option to take couple hours of stick shift.. or have it 100% stick
Attached Images

IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote