Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2017, 03:16 AM   #37
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Here's the steering wheel cover I bought from eBay for $24/shipped. The leather is nice and I like the red stitching. Installation was a breeze.

I also bought a dashmat from eBay for $18/shipped. This one is from China so I wasn't sure of the quality but it got to me pretty quickly and I'm happy with it. The circular velcro bits that came with it aren't very sticky or strong, so I may buy some velcro strips to better keep the edges down. It's been settling in for a few days and keeps looking better.

Last edited by bradbowl; 08-06-2017 at 05:00 AM.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:21 AM   #38
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

I also washed the car and used a clay bar on it afterwards.

The paint is pretty rough and is in definite need of polish and wax. I've never used a clay bar before and I'm amazed at the difference in smoothness. It got too late to polish it this evening, so I'll get that done tomorrow and post some pics. :)
Old 08-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #39
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I dig the wheel cover.

Coincidentally, I just had my better half's Honda clay bar'd and like you, I was blown away at how smooth the paint was afterwards.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #40
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

I found some rough spots I missed with the clay bar yesterday, so I remedied that also used the clay bar on the windows.

I was putting on Armor All tire shine gel that got really good reviews on Amazon and noticed how rusty the steel wheels and scratched up the hubcaps are. A quick search of the forum and YouTube shows me another project I can do. :)

And lastly the headlights were really yellow and oxidized, so I used Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit on them and I'm really love the results. They look great! Below is a picture where the left light is untouched and the right one is done. The difference is very dramatic in person which isn't shown very well in the photos.

Last edited by bradbowl; 08-06-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #41
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I had 3M protective UV film put on my headlights shortly after purchase, while getting my windows tinted, to prevent the hazing/yellowing that occurs on plastic headlight housings - especially in areas with strong sun/UV penetration. Seems like you could do that after restoring the headlights to prevent it from hazing/yellowing up again in a few months (it happens fast after the base protective coating on the lense is gone, and then not protected by UV film or whatever). I didn't have the film on my old Accord, and it was a huge pain trying to keep those lenses clear and new looking.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #42
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I had 3M protective UV film put on my headlights shortly after purchase, while getting my windows tinted, to prevent the hazing/yellowing that occurs on plastic headlight housings - especially in areas with strong sun/UV penetration. Seems like you could do that after restoring the headlights to prevent it from hazing/yellowing up again in a few months (it happens fast after the base protective coating on the lense is gone, and then not protected by UV film or whatever). I didn't have the film on my old Accord, and it was a huge pain trying to keep those lenses clear and new looking.
Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely look into that. I wouldn't want to repeat the refinishing process multiple times a year since it's very sunny in Hawaii.