Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #19
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
In 1st, mine does go away once the car has warmed up. However, the reverse shudder is there all the time, no matter what speed.
My Yaris does the exact same thing in 1st gear. Except the reverse gear seems to shudder a lot worst after the car is warmed up.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #20
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
For the reverse shudder, I learned slowly let out the clutch, and gas a bit more at the same time. That helps for a smooth reverse. Yeah it seems like you will be clutch burning, but very little to even make an impact....
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #21
darkmoon87

Drives: 08 Yaris
i got used to starting without shuddering while giving the least amount of gas pedal action, but holy fuck...when I am in reverse gear it shudders like mad unless I give it a lot. lol...

darkmoon87's picture thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10013
darkmoon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #22
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmoon87 View Post
but holy fuck...when I am in reverse gear it shudders like mad unless I give it a lot. lol...
Especially if you got (had) all 3 NST Underdrive pullies
I took mine out and it shudders less in reverse when i forget to gas more..
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
My liftback w/ manual just started this in the last month and it's very intermittent. The first time I noticed it was when it was raining so I thought that had something to do with it but I've noticed it when the engine/transmission is cold or warm and when the weather is wet or dry.

:(

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I agree with the previous posts that this seems to be related to clutch-engagement timing and rpm's rather than a design or clutch flaw. I've had no problems in either gear in 16,000 miles.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #25
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I don't get the shudder but Yaris's 1st and reverse are horrible IMO, 1st especially is really touchy. OK, maybe not horrible but not the greatest.

To engage smoothly in 1st, I find that I need to give it a little more gas than I would in another car.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #26
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
main cause DBW , not enough power to get the thing rolling. just give a tad more gas and the shudders disappears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post
For the reverse shudder, I learned slowly let out the clutch, and gas a bit more at the same time. That helps for a smooth reverse. Yeah it seems like you will be clutch burning, but very little to even make an impact....
+1 for both. Also I find that if I start in 2nd and give it a little more gas the engagement has to be alot slower, which makes it much smoother (unless you're starting uphill).

It also helps to make sure the car is at a dead stop before throwing it in reverse. Puts less resistance on the clutch and avoids the embarrassing scraping sound

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #27
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Doesn't make sense though. The revs jump to the same point on the RPM gauge. Still shudders when its cold, and stops when its warm.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 AM   #28
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Like I said, drop the clutch much more slowly

I'm sure alot of other manual cars have the same issue, just like the sluggishness before the engine warms up

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #29
kargoboy

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan/'03 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Doesn't make sense though. The revs jump to the same point on the RPM gauge. Still shudders when its cold, and stops when its warm.
That is a different problem, lots of cars experience a bit more of a clutch chatter when cold. The 2003 Protege which I also own is notorious for it.

The OP never said it only happened when it was cold, at least not that I saw.
That leads me to believe it's driver error, not a component flaw.
kargoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #30
AZflagstaff

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5dr LB Manual
I noticed the same thing in my 2008 5speed Sedan, more so in reverse. I had to let off the clutch very slowly and really give it some gas to reverse w/o the car shaking and jerking. So really, I had to reverse with some speed, which isn't always possible when backing up. I just traded the sedan in for a 2010 5dr 5speed and starting off in 1st and reverse is much more smooth, as is shifting in general. I don't know if it's something Toyota improved since 08 & 09 but I am pleasantly surprised.
AZflagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #31
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmdd View Post
I agree with the previous posts that this seems to be related to clutch-engagement timing and rpm's rather than a design or clutch flaw. I've had no problems in either gear in 16,000 miles.
yeah i wouldn't think it's a clutch flaw as i have the TRD clutch and i still have the shudder in 1st and reverse.

to avoid the shudder i just gun it in 1st gear and try not to even use reverse if possible. like others have said, it does seem that 1st shudders a bit less when the car has had time to warm up but doesn't help the shudder in reverse.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:56 AM   #32
advocate

Drives: car
Happens in first but not in reverse. I usually just throw the clutch back towards the floor, jam the gas, and release much faster

problem solved
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:58 AM   #33
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
If you are used to driving a 5 speed, it goes away just as quickly as you can learn to properly feather the Yaris' clutch
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #34
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargoboy View Post
That is a different problem, lots of cars experience a bit more of a clutch chatter when cold. The 2003 Protege which I also own is notorious for it.

The OP never said it only happened when it was cold, at least not that I saw.
That leads me to believe it's driver error, not a component flaw.
True that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dog View Post
If you are used to driving a 5 speed, it goes away just as quickly as you can learn to properly feather the Yaris' clutch
Thats assuming hes a bad driver, which you couldn't possibly know for fact.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
my car is a pain to put in reverse, very unforgiving compared to any other gear; even at complete standstill it sometimes won't drop into gear properly, or worse if I'm rolling even an inch you hear it scratch and chatter as it engages. once it is engaged, it's fine and dandy and feels solid.
in the morning, my first gear is very loosey goosey and does not grab well, but what I think the OP is experiencing is that the clutch not being fully engaged into position, and what's happening is probably slipping as you rev out expecting it to catch. I ride first gear partially engaged for a second or two, which seems to help (and I don't rev out hard unless I know it's fully engaged, and you'll know because if it isn't it will chatter and shudder like that or you'll have seemingly less pickup and smell hell for the next few minutes).
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #36
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I just hate the Yaris' clutch. Way too light and just horrible. You definately need to rev it more in first gear than any other car i've driven. I can't tell you how many times I've stalled it... grrr.