Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
Snappy

Drives: 2 Yaris Hatchbacks
Anybody investigate adding heated mirrors to 07?

I could see the benefit of adding heated mirrors to my 07 hatch. In the US, there are finally the OEM replacement parts available for the mirror elements themselves. Has anyone bought these and played around? Looks like the mirror itself is a snap replacement part, but would the heated ones be a direct replacement, except for wiring? Anyone have the wiring diagram for how they are hooked into the rear defroster circuit on a 2010 model? Thanks, winter is approaching!
Snappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
I could see the benefit of adding heated mirrors to my 07 hatch. In the US, there are finally the OEM replacement parts available for the mirror elements themselves. Has anyone bought these and played around? Looks like the mirror itself is a snap replacement part, but would the heated ones be a direct replacement, except for wiring? Anyone have the wiring diagram for how they are hooked into the rear defroster circuit on a 2010 model? Thanks, winter is approaching!
07's lack the wiring from the mirror to the under dash fuse panel, so you'd have to snake the wires through. 09's and newer have the wiring in place in the door, but it ends at the junction connector at the kick panels.

PM me your email and I can send you a copy of the EWD for the mirror heater wiring.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
I've thought about adding heated mirrors as well. Especially this morning when I was driving to work and my mirrors were all frosted up. I too have an '07 HB. Would this be a simple install? Do the heater elements mount behind the existing mirrors, or do I have do get new mirrors with elements already installed?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoman View Post
I've thought about adding heated mirrors as well. Especially this morning when I was driving to work and my mirrors were all frosted up. I too have an '07 HB. Would this be a simple install? Do the heater elements mount behind the existing mirrors, or do I have do get new mirrors with elements already installed?
On an 09+, the wires are already there between the power mirror connector and the kick plate connector on both sides, so on the mirror side you would just have to snake a wire through the mirror mount and connect it to either a set of OEM heated mirror glass pieces or a set of the stick on aftermarket mirror heaters. On an 08- you'd have to run the wire all the way from the mirror, through the door and into the kick plate area.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
On an 09+, the wires are already there between the power mirror connector and the kick plate connector on both sides, so on the mirror side you would just have to snake a wire through the mirror mount and connect it to either a set of OEM heated mirror glass pieces or a set of the stick on aftermarket mirror heaters. On an 08- you'd have to run the wire all the way from the mirror, through the door and into the kick plate area.
Thanks CTScott! I saw in another thread that you mentioned something about a heated mirror kit? How would I go about finding this kit? Is it OEM?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
henry33

Drives: yaris1.33
so if I have 2010 hatchback then the wiring should be already there right ?
but how will be the heaters switched on ? wouldn't be needed some switch ?
how much cost the mirror plate with heaters ?
what about the installation is it hard ?
henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Do a web search for "heated mirror kit" and you'll find plenty.

Here's a DIY that someone did for a Tacoma, using motorcycle grip heaters. It shows nicely what's involved in pulling the mirrors apart (they Yaris mirrors are mounted the same way), running the wires through the door, and wiring them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-mirrors.html
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #8
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
A spray bottle of De-Icer cost me $2.50 at walmart this morning. I believe I also had to pay tax.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 PM   #9
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Do a web search for "heated mirror kit" and you'll find plenty.

Here's a DIY that someone did for a Tacoma, using motorcycle grip heaters. It shows nicely what's involved in pulling the mirrors apart (they Yaris mirrors are mounted the same way), running the wires through the door, and wiring them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-mirrors.html
I read through this DIY and at the end he says a lot about leaving it on and this being very dangerous. Is there a way to avoid this? Will it void a warranty? Thank you.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
Sorry FOR Reviving But I just opened my door to install my led side mirrors for my 09 hb and I saw that my mirrors are already hooked up with one... CTScOTT do you know where I can hook this up just by using my defroster switch?
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggydee View Post
Sorry FOR Reviving But I just opened my door to install my led side mirrors for my 09 hb and I saw that my mirrors are already hooked up with one... CTScOTT do you know where I can hook this up just by using my defroster switch?
If they are present, they are probably already hooked up and they do work with the defroster switch. I think on other discussions on here, others mentioned that 09+ Yaris in Canada have the mirror heaters.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
boggydee

Drives: 2009 yaris 4dr hb
hello ctscott, donesnt seem hooked up tho... would you happen to know wheere the terminals for the back window is hooked up on? so i could just splice and tap to that?
boggydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggydee View Post
hello ctscott, donesnt seem hooked up tho... would you happen to know wheere the terminals for the back window is hooked up on? so i could just splice and tap to that?
They come through the door to the kick panels on a violet wire (one the other end, they are grounded inside the door).

That violet wire goes to pin 11 of Connector 4M of the under dash fuse panel.

From there they go through the 10A ID/UP/MIR HTR Fuse in the fuse box under the bottom of the dash.

That fuse is fed from the defroster relay and at that point (internally to the under dash fuse panel) is connected to the rear window defroster (which connects via black wire to pin 2 of connector 4F).

Fuse Panel - Rear.jpg

Fuse Panel.jpg
Old 10-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #14
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Sorry to res. Scott, would it be safe to connect mirror heaters directly to the line feeding the defrosters? Or are the defrosters fed from a different source
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
Sorry to res. Scott, would it be safe to connect mirror heaters directly to the line feeding the defrosters? Or are the defrosters fed from a different source
It would be fine to hook them up with the defrosters, as that is how the OEM ones are wired. Mirror heaters are very low wattage heaters.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:51 PM   #16
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Great, thanks Scott - going to attempt this when I have time
Old 10-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Oh, one more thing: could I ground it to the power mirror wires? That way I only have to run one wire through my door to the electrical panel right?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:21 PM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I'm putting this mod on the to-do list, behind the supercharger, gauges, amp, HID conversion, wiring the fogs, and mounts to move the passenger seat further back.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote