Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Desperately Need Help Getting Fog Lights Working Again

I've got aftermarket foglights, purchased from Jimcat on this forum, installed on my '07 hatchback. They were working, but then a couple of months ago just stopped. Figured it was the bulbs, bought new cheapos from ebay, put them in and still not working. Checked the fuses in both the relay and underneath the dash. Neither looked as if they broke, but replaced them anyways.

My foglights are installed via this method:
[IMG][/IMG]

Because the red wire on the kit I got did not have the proper connector, I had to go out and buy a seperate Yaris wire harness, take one of the wires and splice it together using a butt connector. I've had to try and reconnect the wires because they came loose. I think I'm connecting the wires properly. The light on the foglight switch turns on so I'm wondering where the problem is? Would I be better off trying to connect the wires together using a wire tap? I also have a Denso relay, but it's not plugged in. Would that change anything?
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Check your ground wires. Make sure they have a good connection. I think theres 2 grounds. One that bolts inside the cabin and one that bolts near the front of the car, near the front brace. Check the one near the front brace since thats the ground used to power on the lights.
Also check the connection harness under the hood(where the one wire that goes through the firewall connects to)
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
M4One

I checked the ground wire and both are fine. As far as that red wire goes, I even twisted it with the wire with the proper connector and tried it that way and still no good. I suppose it could be the bulbs and maybe I should get a pair from a legit retailer. If I do remove the bulbs, would I be able to reuse them again later if the bulbs are not the problem and I manage to fix this? This is really driving me nuts.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #4
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
you need to get a voltmeter and check for power. the best way to tackle this problem.
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The red wire is not an ideal place to grab switched power. That is the feed to the fuel pump.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I had this same exact problem. It seemed like the relay wasn't switching correctly, but even when I replaced it the problem remained.

I ended up just yanking the relay throwing away most of the wiring harness. I ran the white wire off the battery, kept it fused, to a simple switch. Then the red/blue stripe wire (yours might not be) ran off the switch to the fogs. Been a couple months and no problems. I'm still not sure why a relay was needed for a 12v feed...
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
M4One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The red wire is not an ideal place to grab switched power. That is the feed to the fuel pump.
I installed the fogs using this method without problem until a couple of months ago. Assuming I get them working again the same way, are you suggesting I could end up with problems down the road?

To Focus_Sh1ft, how exactly did you hook the white wire to the battery? Did you wired it like in my diagram, just getting rid of the relay, or through a different method? Ripping everything apart is going to be a last resort for me.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4One View Post
I installed the fogs using this method without problem until a couple of months ago. Assuming I get them working again the same way, are you suggesting I could end up with problems down the road?

To Focus_Sh1ft, how exactly did you hook the white wire to the battery? Did you wired it like in my diagram, just getting rid of the relay, or through a different method? Ripping everything apart is going to be a last resort for me.
The reason I don't like tapping that circuit for switched power is that if something goes wrong with the switch side of the fog circuit, you will blow the fuse for the fuel pump, which will keep the car from running. The OEM wiring method for the fogs uses an independent fuse for the fogs, so that a failure will be isolated to that circuit and the car will still run.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Alright I remember how I did this - lemme clarify.

All I did was splice the end of the red wire to the white wire, then placed it in the ACC position. That's the power wire and it should be fused. That ran to a radioshack switch, then the wires that connect to the fogs run out the other side of the switch. So basically you'll have a +12v feed running from that ACC pinout, to the switch, then to the fogs. This setup will turn the fogs off when the car is turned off as well.

I didn't realize the fuel pump took a feed off that point, so CTScott is right - you really should fuse the fog light wire side as well.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
A member called "clowncar" did a wonderful writeup on how to do this install using an OEM Toyota relay that plugs right into that tan connector socket in the rt. top corner of that pic.
Relay is about $15 used on Ebay....
Don't use one of those goofy big PepBoys relays made in China that you have to drill a hole to mount in the engine bay.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #11
M4One

Okay first, thanks for all the help. Just saw clowncar's post with the writeup in a zip file and I'll take a look at it. I do have that relay. One last question regarding installing the foglights the way I did. My kit came with its own fuse, so would that make things okay, or is it still questionable? Forgive me since wiring is obviously not my thing. And before anyone asks as to why I might try to hook it up that way again despite the warning, its because when I find a way, I'm sort of set to it, unless I absolutely have to change.