Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Maranda
Newcomer

Drives: Yaris 2007 HB
Exclamation Problem with rear brakes (wheels fixed at 50%)

Hello,

I changed the rear brake shoes before yesterday on my **wonderful** Yaris 2007. (drum)
Subsequently I did a test drive...and all **seemed** to operate normally (brake, hand brake, etc.).

Today, I had a few errands to do (until then no problem).

I stop at a traffic light and trying to get away, I noticed that my rear brakes seem to be frozen (the rear wheels spinning, but very very difficult).
I return to my home (±700m) and when I parked, I pulled on the parking brake and I have no resistance (except the 7th click).
The oil level is good, the foot pedal to a normal position, the parking brake does not seem to be behaving normally, and the rear wheels have too much resistance, the wheels turn hard)

So I'd like to resolve this issue before you get behind the wheel, what is it can be?
What to check first and how?

What could explain this sudden problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Maranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I would pull them back apart to see what is out of position. The centering spring may have not been seated properly and popped out of position once you started driving.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #3
bairjo

I agree with CTScott...best way to find out what is going on is to pull them apart for a look. I would think if it was the rear right brake, you would notice the car pull to the right and the opposite it was the left. Whatever you find is the problem, don't forget to respond back and let us know what it was.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
this sounds like a sticky parking brake cable

remove the console around the hand brake and engage / disengage to see any abnormality
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Damn.. Deja vu this thread.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Maranda
Newcomer

You're right IllusionX, i've post this case on 2 different forums (both language) to fix that problem asap
Old 02-15-2015, 03:02 PM   #7
Maranda
Newcomer

Woops: I was considering this issue, except that under the center console, everything seems normal...the movement of the cable seems to be "free" and non-binding
Old 03-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #8
woops

Drives: Jeep Cherokee XJ 1996
OK

confirm the handbrake working by removing both drums and having another person engage / disengage handbrake while you see the movement.
make sure that the other person doesn't step on the foot brake even by mistake when the drums are off or you'll have a big mess to clear up :)

if the cables checks out at the drum end too

confirm using the illustration in the service manual that every thing ie lock or spring is fitted as it should be.. the adjuster can be misfit too.. double check everything

loosen the adjuster as much as possible

install drums

now from the backing plate plug tighten the adjuster till you can't turn it.. tighten step by step so you don't miss the exact bite point

once you reach the point where you cannot turn the drums

loosen the adjuster approximately 15 clicks.

PLUS: how long has it been since the braking system was last bled / flushed? it is certainly possible the one of the rubber lines are choked from inside, though i have seen this on very old cars only but it certainly is possible specially if the brake fluid has never been flushed since 2007 :)

Last edited by woops; 03-05-2015 at 01:39 PM.
woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
remove the drum and inspect what's going on. My guess is that it is either a jammed brake cable (not likely since you stated that it seems to be moving freely) or what Scott said, something wasn't set properly and shifted. I'd make sure you check the position of the shoe that the cable attaches to, this may be set wrong hence the parking brake issue.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
canadian deacon

Drives: 2014 yaris 5dr
Popping off the drums and having a good look is the best answer. It's also possible that one of the coil springs which attach the center of the brake shoes to the backing plate may have let go.

They don't have a lot of tension in them to begin with and can be problematic when they start to corrode. Best to replace them if this is the problem.
canadian deacon is offline   Reply With Quote