Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Engine's running super smooth now...

The car has run beautifully since I got it but did a bit of a tach dance when idling; going from 600 - 850ish RPM, up and down.

Today I cleaned the MAF sensor (it went from black to shiny), throttle body and pcv valve. The jobs took a total of about 1.5 hours, but this is the first time, so it should go quicker subsequent times.

I used electrical cleaner for the MAF sensor and throttle body cleaner for the other two. I thoroughly cleaned the air box. The throttle body had some white corrosion under the hose, so I sanded that all smooth, cleaned up with electrical cleaner, and cleaned the entire hose assembly as well. Naturally, I stuffed a rag into the throttle body opening when sanding so as not to get any debris inside. To get at the inside of the TB, I turned the key on (engine not running) and set the gas pedal down with my son's hockey stick. The TB was fairly clean, the pcv valve cleaned up nicely too. It had a bit of oily carbon on it but nothing caked or gooey.

Not sure which of the procedures that I did that smoothed out the idle. In my uneducated opinon, most likely to least likely would be:

- MAF sensor
- throttle body
- pcv valve

I also sanded and painted the hose clamps.

To celebrate the job, my son and I took a couple of hour drive - lunch in between. What impresses me so much about this little car is its ability to climb long hills without losing speed and barely increasing pressure on the gas. I think I commented on all of this before, but, man, Toyota sure designed this car well! 106 HP, 103 ft/pd torque and sings along effortlessly and handles like nothing else I've owned. I said to my wife, it's like a little thoroughbred... it doesn't like to sit around...it just wants to go!

My only fear now is, after reading performance threads, I'm afraid I might get caught up in some more 'expensive' mods. Been reading about the rear away bar.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-09-2017 at 03:08 PM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:38 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice!

I love this car as well. My 2007 and now my 2014 have impressed me beyond expectations. The 1.5L motor and 4-speed automatic transmission are brilliant and perform flawlessly.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Nice!

I love this car as well. My 2007 and now my 2014 have impressed me beyond expectations. The 1.5L motor and 4-speed automatic transmission are brilliant and perform flawlessly.
I know... I can't believe I waited so long to procure one of these fine automobiles. It's a true pleasure to drive. The road to and from work is typical coastal, curvy, up and down. Every day going to and from work is a treat. :)

Off topic, but do you know of anyone other than CTScott who is selling the cruise control kits? I am dying to get my hands on one. I see the stalks available on eBay and there is a guy that sells the necessary pins/connectors, but I can't find the indicator light module anywhere. I need one of these kits...NOW...haha as I'm still stoked on working on this car. And, I have the install guide. Just hanging on getting the parts.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 10-09-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:50 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Yup, this car still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

Sorry, don't know much about C/C.

Heard the Rostra Cruise Control Kit 250-1836 is good. Ebay has them for about $165. OBO plus shipping. Not sure if they have the illumination module you're after.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rostra-2...kAAOSwGvhUEwJZ
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yup, this car still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

Sorry, don't know much about C/C.

Heard the Rostra Cruise Control Kit 250-1836 is good. Ebay has them for about $165. OBO plus shipping. Not sure if they have the illumination module you're after.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Rostra-2...kAAOSwGvhUEwJZ
Thanks Kimona! Will check out the Rostra kit. I'm actually going back and forth now with a seller on eBay who may be able to get me set up, sans the indicator module. I wonder if that is somethung that CTScott develped and produced himself. I sure wish he would make an appearance.

Here's a link to the eBay guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-termi...ZUE8XL&vxp=mtr

Old 10-09-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Don't forget to check your intake and cabin air filters.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:32 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Don't forget to check your intake and cabin air filters.
By intake, do you mean the air filter box? If so, I mentioned that I cleaned that. I actually removed it to do so. If you're talking about cleaning the intake manifold, then I'd have to research how to do that. I'm not a Seafoam kind of guy, so if it involves a spray and a lot of smoke, I'd be too chicken to do that.

Haha, didn't even know my Yaris had a cabin filter.

Thanks.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 02-16-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Cabin filter was seldom installed in the Yaris from new, but it would be a good idea to install a filter, or change it if one was installed.

The cabin filter is located behind the glove box and is easy to access and install in about 2 minutes. I always buy engine and cabin filters on ebay for under $10 for both.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Cabin filter was seldom installed in the Yaris from new, but it would be a good idea to install a filter, or change it if one was installed.

The cabin filter is located behind the glove box and is easy to access and install in about 2 minutes. I always buy engine and cabin filters on ebay for under $10 for both.
Awesome. Thanks for that. I'll have a look for the filter.

I'm happy to say that I got in touch with CTScott and I have ordered a cruise control kit. Can't wait!

Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 AM   #10
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I wish we paid what you yanks pay for fuel. 1.5 would be nice! To have an extra cylinder and .5 litre of displacement. Going up hills in 2nd or 3rd has not been uncommon for me.

That being said I wouldn't swap my car for anything. I've driven a lot of cars for work and while abroad and nothing is as comfortable as my Yaris and certainly not as reliable. When I was in Scandinavia last year there were several days I was driving more than 12 hours and I wasn't even that sore afterwards. Other cars have me feeling sore and fed up after a few.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I wish we paid what you yanks pay for fuel. 1.5 would be nice! To have an extra cylinder and .5 litre of displacement. Going up hills in 2nd or 3rd has not been uncommon for me.

That being said I wouldn't swap my car for anything. I've driven a lot of cars for work and while abroad and nothing is as comfortable as my Yaris and certainly not as reliable. When I was in Scandinavia last year there were several days I was driving more than 12 hours and I wasn't even that sore afterwards. Other cars have me feeling sore and fed up after a few.
Yes, for a small car they are actually quite comfortable for a highway drive. We're actually talking about taking our Yaris on our annual summer trips. Likely Toronto area again this up-coming summer. That's about 16 hours of driving over two days. Normally we would take our van, but after driving the Yaris on the highway, we may end up taking it instead.