Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
RiggYaris

Drives: 2010 2-door hatchback
Exclamation Intermittent (old and new) AC blower motors

Recently, my daughter’s AC blower motor in her 2010 Yaris stopped working. I read a Toyota Tacoma blog about the same problem, where one blogger gave the blower housing a tap with the handle of his screwdriver and it started working. Sure enough, when I just bumped the original motor, it started working. I assumed that was a sign the blower motor was about to go out completely, so I replaced it with a new one about 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday, the brand new motor stopped blowing! My daughter remembered I gave the old motor a bump, so she leaned over and just smacked the glove box door and the blower started working. Then, after her car sat in our driveway for a couple hours, the dang thing stopped working again as she was pulling out of the driveway! So she smacked the glove box and it started working again.

From what I've read, this is a common problem in a lot of Toyotas, but I haven't seen a definitive solution. Does anyone have any ideas where a short or improper connection might be that is causing this intermittent issue?

Thank you!

Last edited by RiggYaris; 03-13-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Wanted to show urgent icon
RiggYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:39 AM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Is the blower dead or does it still work on high mode , could be the resister that is gone .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
RiggYaris

The blower is not dead and does work on high mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggYaris View Post
The blower is not dead and does work on high mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sorry should have said high mode only will lead me to believe its the resistor .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If smacking it makes it start spinning, then it is not the resistor. If the resistor is bad, it will always work on high, but not on one or more of the lower settings.

Pull the blower and see if something is stuck in the blades. If the car is being run without a cabin air filter, it may have sucked something out of the glove box and into the blower impeller.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
RiggYaris

It's a brand new blower motor. I also replaced the cabin filter at the same time. The motor I replaced was spinning freely and we have always kept up with replacing the cabin filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
a/c, blower, motor