Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 AM   #19
BrazdonW
What kind of car is that?

Drives: Yaris 3d liftback
Send a message via AIM to BrazdonW
Good deal :)
Costly?
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #20
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
I noticed this back in the day when emission controlled vehicles became the normal and was told that a slower/controlled RPM drop reduced pollution. My guess is that todays cars rev down slowly for the same reason.
Exactly. They used to do it with mechanical dashpots on a carburetor. Now it's the ECU slowly closing the throttle.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
pfahls1

Drives: Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Exactly. They used to do it with mechanical dashpots on a carburetor. Now it's the ECU slowly closing the throttle.

Yaris Hilton,

"Half a Bubble Off Plumb" - Makes me giggle.. I will remember that one for future use, if you don't mind. Cold in TN yet?
pfahls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #22
winfong

Drives: VIOS Belta
anyone considered DFCO..... the engine brake doesn't really kick in.....
winfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #23
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
DEFO could make more engine brake if anything.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #24
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
i agree with the OP, it does stay at rpm's alot longer then most cars. i find not only using engine break this is a fail but also mostly shifting from 1st to 2nd(in racing or extreme conditions) the car when i push down the clutch would rev up high and the shift was rough. (it wasn't due to my error, amybe once or twice it was but i tried testing it and if my foot isn't off the gas long before i depress the clutch its gonan be a problem, lol) the computer does have a slight delay (same delay as pressing it if u even notice it) but for the most part it reacts quickly. i believe the problem is in the added weight it carries and is spinning. i hope to get my pully kit soon, lol. but i'm keeping my a/c, fuck that, lol too hot in the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
like stalling when you flip it into neutral. my car does this all the time now!
as for your problem, my moms 2001 Camry had/has the same issue.

i will describe my problem and u follow if it fits or not

it does it sometimes, not always. (the Camry is auto) when u stop at a light or put it in N (depressing the clutch same thing) the motor will die. to turn it back on after it dies you need to give it gas and keep reving it till u drive a bit and it seems to fix its self. if the motor was hot, u turned it off and now its warm is does the same thing and u need to give gas? (this last one i jsut started to realize) when u are due for an oil change it does it more and more.

on the camry this has yet to be fixed, only really seems to die on me. my mom says she has had trouble starting it before but never died. and not gonna lie, on an 01 with over 3xx,xxxKm its not really worth it. this is my thoughts to what it is, i know most of my stuff but not sure exactly. but it could be:
dirty fuel filter (do u know i cant find the darn thing, its not where toyota said they put it)
engine sludge (i'm looking for a good way to flush it out, i know its in there....)
or bad rings/walls (i know worst case but its got over 350xxxKM on it, its old and the V6 is a bitch to work on, it took me 4 hours to change the last 3 spark plugs)

i feel i can say (i dont have the pullys but i have only read good things about them) that maybe u notce it now cuz there is less weight per revolution to keep the motor going but i doubt the issue is due to the pullys.

#2 (shut up, i'm an idiot i know) this did hapen to me while driving/working on an 1981 Jetta (grandfathers car) it was having idle issues that would run between 500rpm and 3000rpm randomly. so i decided to try an italian tune up job..... if u dont know what that is, google it and never ever try it. lol. basically u redline the car into every gear..... well redline an 81 VW engine in 3rd.....ure gonna hear a pop.... and that was it, the second my foot was on the clutch the car would die and i'd have to jump it using the next gear, and at stops i'd have to be in the gas and hold the idle. it would never ever idle no matter what unless i was giving it gas. turnes out the pop i heard was the idle screw that i blew out of the intake..... free fix at the local VW shop cuz they were so amazed to see an 81 jetta in that good of shape (only got 105xxxKm on it.)

u never know what it could be... lol
Old 01-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
hmmm.. I'm wondering if a throttle controller (Blitz, Pilot, etc) at an aggressive setting would solve your problem.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #26
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
2010RS, stream of consciousness is not an effective way to communicate on a forum
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote