Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
What else can be removed to save weight?

I am trying to lose as much as as possible to gain better MPG... as oil prices are going up every day it is practical for me to try to save as much gas as possible.

I have removed the spare tire and jacking tool. I am thinking to remove the tow hook too cuz, if anything happens to my car i will just call roadside assistance i think they will have appropriate method to tow my car without my tow hook if necessary right?

What else can be removed practically? I need my rear seats, sometimes I might have more than 2 people in my car. I have no plan to change out my steel wheels, is too $$ to get Al.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
mbt109

Drives: white yaris sedan
Start loose your own weight :-)
mbt109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #3
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt109 View Post
Start loose your own weight :-)
Lol im 140lbs already!!
Old 03-19-2011, 12:30 AM   #4
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
140? Don't I wish...

Decide what your car needs. Does it really need carpets or insulation? How about all those plastic panels? Once those panels come out, weigh them, and figure out how to replace them with something lighter. Look around. Be innovative!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
140? Don't I wish...

Decide what your car needs. Does it really need carpets or insulation? How about all those plastic panels? Once those panels come out, weigh them, and figure out how to replace them with something lighter. Look around. Be innovative!
Yea carpet and insulation are a must.. during winter we get freeze to death. Is there anyway to make our yaris run on battery when idle or low speed like the prius?
Old 03-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #6
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
If you can't lose the back seat and you have passengers from time to time I can't see much else you could remove. I took out my back seat and passenger air bar and a/c but then again I'm the only person who ever rides in my car. Other than that I don't know what else to axe. The stereo possibly but it really weighs very little. Or I guess all the stuff that goes around and over the spare. I actually can't even remember what all is back there I haven't had any of it in such a long time.

Truth be told though, even with all the extra stuff I've taken out I don't notice a difference in mileage.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #7
winfong

Drives: VIOS Belta
No bodykit.... no spoilers.... Remove crash bars (they usually have them in built in your 4 doors).....

Swap Both your Front Seats to lighter sports bucket seats (since you are 140lbs)... Rear seats are not heavy.... but you can take them out and modify that you can put a tatami style seating instead of the cushion....
change automatic windows to your normal hand winding windows....

Carbon fiber bonnet...

cheers
winfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
I think the OP is just looking for ways to save weight that are free. Obviously there is no sense in buying $500 sport seats just to save .000001 cents on gas.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OP, there is really nothing you can do. Yes, removing the spare and jack if you've got some sort of roadside assist in place is OK. Above that, only ensuring you are not carrying unnecessary junk is the extent of your weight reduction given all your stipulations.

BTW, keep the tow hook in the car. You're not gaining any appreciable weight reduction by not carrying it. If you are ever in a situation were the car needs to be wenched from the front you'll absolutely need it. There are no other wenching points available that will not result in extensive damage to the front bumper.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Is there anyway to make our yaris run on battery when idle or low speed like the prius?
No, it's not a hybrid.

Unless you're ready to start stripping interior parts, there's not much left.

11 lb DEKA battery would save over 20 pounds.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
I am trying to lose as much as as possible to gain better MPG...
As you know, carrying around excessive gas is wasting gas, so don't add more than 7 liters at a time. You should have enough to go 100 km daily.

But then again I wouldn't expect any sane person to follow this advice....
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #12
caineroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
OP, there is really nothing you can do. Yes, removing the spare and jack if you've got some sort of roadside assist in place is OK. Above that, only ensuring you are not carrying unnecessary junk is the extent of your weight reduction given all your stipulations.

BTW, keep the tow hook in the car. You're not gaining any appreciable weight reduction by not carrying it. If you are ever in a situation were the car needs to be wenched from the front you'll absolutely need it. There are no other wenching points available that will not result in extensive damage to the front bumper.
Yea you are right I will leave my tow hook in the car just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
No, it's not a hybrid.

Unless you're ready to start stripping interior parts, there's not much left.

11 lb DEKA battery would save over 20 pounds.
O... thanks for tip garm! I don't want to mess with interior, i don't know much about cars Thanks for the battery advice tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris View Post
As you know, carrying around excessive gas is wasting gas, so don't add more than 7 liters at a time. You should have enough to go 100 km daily.

But then again I wouldn't expect any sane person to follow this advice....
I now fill half a tank around 18-19L(i just pay $20CAD each time), enough for about 250km/155miles, but yea it's good way to save gas!

I really don't like running gasoline engines, before I bought the yaris i didn't know stuff about global warming and what not. Now what we are doing is buying overpriced gas that is killing our pockets, at the same time killing our planet... wtf it doesn't make sense. I would rather pay this premium for something else that would not harm where we live in.

Electric cars are getting popular but if I have to recharge every 100-200km, that's not practical. Are there any alternative out there that is developing anyone know of? I think hydrogen cell is not going to be common.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
I removed the rear seat and everything associated with it. The spare and jack of course, plus I drilled out the bracket that the spare attaches to, I can always re-attach it when I sell. Next week I am taking a quick solo biz trip to a convention in Las Vegas, and I will pull the passenger seat and fab up a temporary sleeping platform!

I just today was at a local custom car show, where the local Toyota dealer had a brand new Prius on display. I looked it over, the entire time thinking " I'd take this out, don't need that etc. etc.!" I never have heard what a stripped Prius can do MPG wise. I do know that when I got back home (on a mountain dirt road, with some 60+ freeway and some 50 mph secondary, and a little around town driving), the total average was 46.8 MPG, I can live with that!
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #14
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
I have a roadside assistance (AAA) but I wouldn't remove my spare. All they can do is change a tire. They can't repair it on the spot and they don't carry wheels and tires with them. The jack maybe, but at busy times the response can be slow. You could replace both with a can of that gunk that inflates and seals the tire, but I wouldn't put in my tires.

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
take all the seats and plastics inside spear tire plus the driver and the car is way lot lighter then what it was
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #16
lomo13

Drives: Vios 1.3 (Asian Market)
extreme measure - sand blast the asphalt that lines the underbelly of the car. though might not be a wise thing to do if you plan to keep the car for a long time. might result in annoying noises too. could save you 50 lbs.
lomo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomo13 View Post
extreme measure - sand blast the asphalt that lines the underbelly of the car. though might not be a wise thing to do if you plan to keep the car for a long time. might result in annoying noises too. could save you 50 lbs.
It comes off easily with a putty knife, and total weight is under 10lbs.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by winfong View Post
No bodykit.... no spoilers.... Remove crash bars (they usually have them in built in your 4 doors).....

Swap Both your Front Seats to lighter sports bucket seats (since you are 140lbs)... Rear seats are not heavy.... but you can take them out and modify that you can put a tatami style seating instead of the cushion....
change automatic windows to your normal hand winding windows....

Carbon fiber bonnet...

cheers
The door bars are welded in.