Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
Frankd1

Drives: 2008 RS, 5spd
I lost my master keyless entry key, need suggestions....

I happened to lose the key with the keyless entry buttons built in (lock/unlock/panic).

I still have the other black master key (with no keyless buttons) as well as the grey key (valet?) and the metal tag with the number code on it...

These two keys work fine for unlocking and locking at the door and starting the car but when I called the dealer they said it would be $240 to $270 to replace the keyless entry master plus $49 to program it, cut it and to also reprogram the other two keys that I have.

They said that the keys have a chip in them because the car has an engine immobilzer but no actual alarm system except for the horn honking and lights flashing.

If I decide to replace the keyless entry fob, and the original key turns up in the grocery store lost and found the dealer said it would no longer work because the other keys and the cars computer have been reprogrammed......is this correct?

I really don't want to spend that kind of money to replace the key so I found a company on ebay called midwest keyless that sells these fobs, they look just like the OEM.......any idea if these would work? Would the dealer be able to program it?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Frankd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As long as you have one of the masters, you can register new keys. If you look at the Engine Immobilizer section of the service manual (posted in the DIY section), you can actually do it yourself.

For the wireless remote; If you purchase a new un-cut one from ebay, etc. (with the same FCC ID as your existing one), you can make the factory keyless "learn" the new remote with the following procedure:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...19&postcount=6
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Frankd1

Thanks for the info! I do in fact have the other masters but they are just the key with no keyless buttons....

When you mention purchasing an uncut version from ebay with the same FCC ID, where would I find the FCC ID for the master that I currently have?

This is what I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item19bd990b4e

The one in the picture in the above link is the key that I unfortunately lost....

If I end up getting one of these and then program it myself would I just have the blade of the key cut at a locksmith?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankd1 View Post
Thanks for the info! I do in fact have the other masters but they are just the key with no keyless buttons....

When you mention purchasing an uncut version from ebay with the same FCC ID, where would I find the FCC ID for the master that I currently have?

This is what I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...item19bd990b4e

The one in the picture in the above link is the key that I unfortunately lost....

If I end up getting one of these and then program it myself would I just have the blade of the key cut at a locksmith?
The FCC ID would have been on the back of the original remote key, and will also be printed in your owners manual. The key in the eBay listing doesn't list the part number or FCC ID, so it's difficult to tell if it is actually correct.

I know that the remote reprogramming procedure works. I haven't seen anyone try the immobilizer key reprogramming, but that procedure looks straight forward. So, with those two done, the last piece is just having the key cut.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Here is one listed locally in Milwaukee,WI :
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/1865026978.html

It doesn't look anything like my remote key, but mine looks like the ebay ad.
Maybe CTScott can tell by the part number?
The Craigslist ad lists a whole bunch of Toyota cars, and states 2007-2009 Yaris,
but doesn't have the panic button that I have.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The part number for a 2008 one with the remote key is: 89070-52850

The one pictured above is for a bunch of cars, not including Yaris.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Frankd1

I found the FCC ID in the owners manual however, it states that it is for vehicles sold in the USA.
I purchased mine here in Canada so I'm wondering if the FCC ID applies? I'm thinking that it does.....

I will send the company from ebay an email to see if they can send me that information..
Old 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
The FCC ID does apply. Ignore the ebay ad, or whatever they tell you it should work with. The FCC ID needs to be identical.

Ask me how I know.

Best bet: Go to your local Toyota dealer, but be prepared for sticker shock (but at least it'll work!)
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Even though the FCC is a US organization, if you look up that FCC ID, you'll see that it is very specific. If a company has a listed product and changes the communication frequency or the protocol, they have to update the listing. So, as stated above, the FCC ID must match for the remote to work.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
If you pry the back off the key, you'll see a sticker with the FCC ID on the battery cover.

yariskey.jpg

This is from a 2008 Yaris hatch, sold in Canada.

For what it's worth, the actual FCC ID here is MOZB41TG
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Frankd1

Sir A.Y. Atoyot and CTScott, the FCC ID from my owners manual is MOZRI-20BTY. are these codes specific to each car or are they specific to a certain region or batch of cars?

So in theory as long as the FCC ID's on any of the aftermarket or ebay keys match the original then those keys should work for engine immobilization and door lock/unlock programing....

The key in your picture is the one I lost however, I'm guessing that the FCC ID in my owners manual will match the ID inside the cover of the key?

Firemachine69, I was hoping to avoid the almost $300 charge from the dealer to replace this key but if it doesn't turn up I may have to bite the bullet:(
Old 07-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Sir A.Y. Atoyot and CTScott, the FCC ID from my owners manual is MOZRI-20BTY. are these codes specific to each car or are they specific to a certain region or batch of cars?

So in theory as long as the FCC ID's on any of the aftermarket or ebay keys match the original then those keys should work for engine immobilization and door lock/unlock programing....

The key in your picture is the one I lost however, I'm guessing that the FCC ID in my owners manual will match the ID inside the cover of the key?

Firemachine69, I was hoping to avoid the almost $300 charge from the dealer to replace this key but if it doesn't turn up I may have to bite the bullet:(
I don't know how the codes are selected - maybe some of the professional Toyota people and locksmiths could weigh in.

Incidentally, didn't mention it before, my car has the immobilizer.

About the only other potentially useful info I can add is the full text of that sticker.

MDL B41TG
FCC ID : MOZB41TG
IC : 2584A-B41TG
RLVTOB405-326-A1

I notice that ICBC (the local govt auto insurance co) has some kind of coverage on losing these expensive keys. I'm going to look into it. You might check your policy - you never know.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 AM   #13
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:

I ended up wanting an extra, but my (ex-)girlfriend had a remote starter installed for me as an x-mas present... The module to activate the power locks through the remote starter was an extra sixty bucks, which I gladly paid, because the FOB's cost about thirty bucks to replace, and are readily available. The only thing I lost was single/multiple door unlock (i.e. my FOB unlocks all doors only now).

Minor, considering the dealer wanted an extra $400ish for a spare key FOB. For that price, you can get: a remote starter, the power-door-lock module, and two spare FOBs to kick around (not counting the one on your keychain). Basically, the OEM key FOB only gets used as an ignition key in a pinch, and I'm only keeping it around in case I sell the car.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

The codes are specific to a model of the transmitter, not specific to the car itself, so as long as you verify that you are buying one with MOZRI-20BTY as the FCC ID, you'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #15
Frankd1

Thanks guys, I will let you know how things turn out!
Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
o.molina1

Drives: Yaris DID 2009
This post is fantastic, but unfortunatly I lost BOTH keys. I was told that security module and engine module have to be replaced. Is this true? Because it will be more than 2000$ !!!!!!!

Any idea?

Thanks
o.molina1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.molina1 View Post
This post is fantastic, but unfortunatly I lost BOTH keys. I was told that security module and engine module have to be replaced. Is this true? Because it will be more than 2000$ !!!!!!!

Any idea?

Thanks
My understanding, based on the documents that I have for the European Yaris, is that if you lost all keys, just the the Certification ECU needs to be replaced.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:47 PM   #18
Frankd1

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but as an update, the lost keys were found!!!

I was fortunate that they turned up before I went out and purchased a new key!