Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Advantage Drivers Side Glove Box!

I always leave my cars unlocked even thought I park on the street. There is no crime to speak of after 20 years in my house. I dont leave anything in the car and I dont want thieves breaking the glass/breaking the locks just to see whats in the car.

Well they finally broke into it! They went through the passenger glove box in the dark, not seeing the drivers glove box or the passenger top glove box in the dark. There was a Canon point and shoot camera in the top box and my credit card in the drivers box. They didnt get in them!

Suckers!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
So they just opened the door and got in.. searched the car, nothing and gone out? no harm. lucky HAHAH

Happened to me once with my old Echo hatchback. I stored my 10" laptop under the passenger seat (it has a drawer there) and put 400$ behind the sun visor. They went away with whatever was in the hatch space and the faceplate of my JVC radio, which i never bothered to remove, and put a large screwdriver mark on my door lock., but never found the laptop and the money behind the sun visor.

edit: on a side note.. i put garbage in the little cubbies on each side of the HVAC on top of whatever i always keep in those pockets, so that probably doesn't get searched if ever someone broke into my car. lol
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
bronsin - When you say break in, did they actually smash something before
checking the door or did you mean they entered your vehicle? Lucky you
that they are not Yaris savy.

$400 behind the visor? Years ago, I had a Supra. I kept a spare
$20 bill under the center of the steering wheel trim. I don't recall if I took
it out when I sold the car. Imagine some salvage or recycling yard would
take that apart and freak out. LOL.

I'm hoping that my factory power lock system with the flashing red LED
deters potential thieves somewhat. But of course, we know that won't
stop them. You'd think they would target a more expensive car thinking
that there would be more expensive items in there. I don't have anything
really valuable, but have had a car broken into.....literally. They smashed
the drivers window, and this was in the late fall/early winter. It was
darn cold driving home, I'll tell ya!
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
bronsin - When you say break in, did they actually smash something before
checking the door or did you mean they entered your vehicle? Lucky you
that they are not Yaris savy.
No I always leave the car unlocked with nothing of value in it (usually!)

That way thieves have the option to enter and search without having to smash the windows or otherwise damage the car to get into it.

I find it extremely unlikely anyone would want to steal a Yaris but if they do, its insured for that.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I find it extremely unlikely anyone would want to steal a Yaris but if they do, its insured for that.
Look at the interest your ('son's') ECHO generated!
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Look at the interest your ('son's') ECHO generated!

Hmm better keep it quiet. Someone might get ideas.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Hmm better keep it quiet. Someone might get ideas.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
No I always leave the car unlocked with nothing of value in it (usually!)

That way thieves have the option to enter and search without having to smash the windows or otherwise damage the car to get into it.

Not sure the insurance like the idea that you leave your car door unlocked. It's just about the same that you leave the keys INSIDE the car and lock the doors.. lol
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
klaery

Drives: ZR yaris
Quote:
Does insurance still cover if you leave your car unlocked? I know mine doesn't though it is also illegal to leave a car unlocked here so it may be different.
klaery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaery View Post
illegal to leave a car unlocked here
I love your country, but I'd love to hear the justification for this. It's personal property. Why is leaving it unlocked any of the government's business?.....And what, pray tell, is the penalty for this violation?
Old 02-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #11
klaery

Drives: ZR yaris
In my state it's a $40 fine but in some others it is over 100. It isn't taken too seriously and I am yet to know someone who has copped it.

The reasoning for it is that at the time it was introduced, opportunistic thieves were ‎responsible for about three out of every four stolen cars. It was introduced in a bid to make individuals take some responsibility for helping to reduce ‎car theft. The main impact though is that you will have a lot of trouble with insurance if your car gets stolen when you had left it open/keys in it.
klaery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
bronsin

Huh. Interesting.

The only thing more unlikely I can think of than someone stealing my Yaris is me telling the insurance company I left it unlocked!
Old 02-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaery View Post
The main impact though is that you will have a lot of trouble with insurance if your car gets stolen when you had left it open/keys in it.
The problem with that is that it promotes people trying to find some less than honest manipulation in order to get compensation for their stolen car.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Huh. Interesting.

The only thing more unlikely I can think of than someone stealing my Yaris is me telling the insurance company I left it unlocked!
Be thankful, I guess, that you don't live in Australia .
Old 02-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #15
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
This all reminds me of a time, 25 years ago, when my VW Westfalia got broken into.

San Diego. I'd left the driver's vent window open. I was in the Navy, going to a new duty station, and saying goodbye to friends in town.

I had tools and clothes in the back.

I got drunk, too drunk even to want to TRY to drive...and crashed on the front-room floor. I get up next morning, feeling like a freshly-laid steaming pile...get out there...ah, geez. I got robbed.

NOT only that - they'd IGNORED the open vent window and BROKE the PASSENGER-side vent window.

AND then stood up in the center, punching out the skylight in the fiberglass pop-top roof.

The damage to the van cost as much as what I'd had stolen. Thieves...they ain't so smart.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 PM   #16
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Huh. Interesting.

Yes.

It's a niche car, no question.

I sometimes leave mine unlocked...but I ALWAYS leave the ignition key inside. I'd rather just put my key ring back in my pocket, and it's there...then be forgetting the key is in the ignition and locking myself out.

If it gets stolen...and it won't, I've been doing this with four good cars over ten years....if it happens, I'm sure not going to cue the insurance adjuster about my proclivities and habits.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote