Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
vrizrak

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Weird noise -- please help!!! -SOLVED-

I've got 2007 Yaris with 91,000 ml. I had a vibration in D (it's Auto). No check engine light or error codes. So cleaned TB and MAF. I'm not sure if that noise was before but I definitely start noticing now. It sounds like something lose or just spinning inside. Is this normal? I uploaded short video on youtube. Please see on 45 sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3IxKL9m1I

Please advise.

Last edited by vrizrak; 12-02-2014 at 09:43 AM.
vrizrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
It's pretty hard to tell much from that video. The mic seems to be picking up normal noises and making them sound worse than they are. It's normal to have some minor tick tick tick noises from the valves and injectors, but if you are getting knocking noises it's probably not good. If the noise is a metallic scraping noise, you may want to remove your drive belt and check. If the noise is gone, it's probably the waterpump impeller (usually they leak coolant prior to being that bad though).
If you can't get anywhere, try taking another video a little further away and I will listen again.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Sounds normal to me.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
vrizrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
It's pretty hard to tell much from that video. The mic seems to be picking up normal noises and making them sound worse than they are. It's normal to have some minor tick tick tick noises from the valves and injectors, but if you are getting knocking noises it's probably not good. If the noise is a metallic scraping noise, you may want to remove your drive belt and check. If the noise is gone, it's probably the waterpump impeller (usually they leak coolant prior to being that bad though).
If you can't get anywhere, try taking another video a little further away and I will listen again.
Cheers.
I will try to get another video on different phone. I think I heard metallic noise. How can check if it waterpump? I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Remove drive belt and run engine to see if noise comes up?
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
vrizrak

Took another shot. Now I'm thinking that's water pump? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1nWrjVGDE
Old 11-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
catalin

Drives: yaris
The same noise I've noticed that yaris was making but after a couple of days the sound had suddenly disappeared
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I hear something around 0:15 in the video.. and you say it's in drive while you're taking this video?
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
vrizrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I hear something around 0:15 in the video.. and you say it's in drive while you're taking this video?
No that was in "P" on idle. In drive a had a vibration. Looks like vibration is gone after I cleaned TB and MAF.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Again... Sounds normal to me.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Take a long screwdriver (or even a wooden dowel) & place it at the accessories & the other part to your ear. The sound should transmit loudly on the noisy part. Or Remove the belt & feel for loose wobbly pulleys.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #11
vrizrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Take a long screwdriver (or even a wooden dowel) & place it at the accessories & the other part to your ear. The sound should transmit loudly on the noisy part. Or Remove the belt & feel for loose wobbly pulleys.
Removed belt. Not sure but looks like water pump's pulley little bit loose. Ran engine without belt and noise was gone. Nothing. Just clean engine sound. Turns out that was water pump. I'm planning to replace it this weekend. Will update after..
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Excellent!

But the WP wasn't leaking?

How much was the wobble in the pulley? Did the rim of the pulley move more than like 1/8 inch?
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
my fiancee's wp went without leaking any fluid. The only way I knew was by a brutal noise. Most leak fluid first but not always, good advice to run without belt.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
vrizrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Excellent!

But the WP wasn't leaking?

How much was the wobble in the pulley? Did the rim of the pulley move more than like 1/8 inch?
There is no leaks. Well at least I can't find it. When I tried to move pulley I can feel a little knocking. Not very hard knocking but still and the pulley is moving not bad but enough to feel it. I checked other pulley from Alternator and AC they standing still.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
vrizrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
my fiancee's wp went without leaking any fluid. The only way I knew was by a brutal noise. Most leak fluid first but not always, good advice to run without belt.
No noise without belt... :)
Old 11-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Glad you got it figured out. The water pump pulley should not rock at all. Some will slide in and out a SMALL amount (barely noticeable), but never rock. The bearing on the Yaris waterpump are a little weak so do not over tighten the belt when you replace the pump or you will be doing it again.
Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
vrizrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Glad you got it figured out. The water pump pulley should not rock at all. Some will slide in and out a SMALL amount (barely noticeable), but never rock. The bearing on the Yaris waterpump are a little weak so do not over tighten the belt when you replace the pump or you will be doing it again.
Cheers.
I've notice belt was over tighten. That probably what kill bearing. Well I will find out when I pull it from the car. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:49 AM   #18
vrizrak

Last weekend took water pump out for replace. It actually wasn't leaking but as you can see on picture it something. And it wasn't spinning freely. Feels like it ran over rubber or something. Anyway changed WP and not noise is gone. Except belt is squeaking when cold. :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wp1.jpg (95.2 KB, 80 views)