Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Redbat01
Yaris-My All Purpose Car!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
Talking Ode to an Old Yaris. A Love Story.

With deep regret, I traded-in my little eleven year old Toyota Yaris. Aside from a little bit of noise in the transaxle, it was running just fine. But it was the logical thing to do.

I bought it back in 2008 as a commuter car to take me back and forth between my home in Lower Heidelberg and my place of work in Allentown, an 80 mile round trip.

Over the years, I racked-up 192,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance, which consisted of oil changes, air filters, tires and one set of brakes. Oh, and two headlight bulbs. It still had its original exhaust system, catalytic converter, suspension struts, clutch, spark plugs, etc. It was the most reliable car I ever owned by far, and I've had some good ones.

The hatch was large and tall, so I used it to haul my yard clippings to the dump in a garbage can which fit handily inside. I transported my 20 foot ladder in it, big pieces of lumber and tree branches in it.

When the pine tree in my side yard blew down, I straightened it back up with the Yaris, hitching the tree trunk to the tow hooks located beneath the bumper. As I pulled forward, the tree tried to pull the Yaris backward. But the Yaris won the battle.

With the tree tethered to the Yaris, I guy-wired the tree to thick steel stakes that I had pounded into the ground. The tree has been straight ever since.

I drag raced the Yaris and drove it on the track at full speed during several high speed time trial events sponsored by the Northeast Corvair Council. It was by no means the fastest car, but with an aftermarket anti-roll bar and sticky tires, I managed not to disgrace myself.

Despite this abuse, it left me stranded only once, when the battery went dead while parked in the economy lot at Philadelphia International Airport. The AAA service truck replaced the battery right there, on the spot.

Balthasar Gracian once wrote, "The sensible person’s maxim: abandon things before they abandon you. Know how to turn an ending into a triumph."

And so, I've taken leave of my little Toyota Yaris. I'm sure it will be resold to someone quickly and I hope it will give several more years of good service.

If my new car is half as much fun, I'll be more than satisfied. My new car is a Toyota Corolla Hatchback XSE.
Redbat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Redbat01
Yaris-My All Purpose Car!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris 3-Door
Update: The Toyota dealer where I traded in my Yaris put it in their used car lot. It sold in less than a week. I've seen it on the street being driven by a young lady. I would not be surprised if that will give her another 100,000 miles of good service.
Redbat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Press F to pay respects.

I could never sell mine. It's never left me stranded, only time it came close was back in 2013 when we had terrible snow and freezing conditions. It was parked fairly exposed all day in a car park. The battery was cooked and it took 3 attempts to get it started. It was close but if it wasn't the little car that could.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Bitter sweet! Congrats on the new wheels.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Is the new Corolla a m/t? What color did you get?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Congrats on the 2019 Corolla XSE hatchback! I hope you opted for the 6-spd manual.

I'm tempted to pick up a 2020 Corolla SE Sedan w/6-spd manual (only trim it is available in), since I prefer the sedan styling over the hatchback in this case. Plus, the SE version has all the fun goodies without the extra tech-bloat that I don't want. Strangely enough the SE (manual) sedan is a lot better equipped with the right goodies than the SE version hatchback or even the SE version CVT sedan. A local dealer here is offering me a white one at only $20,200 (before taxes & $900 title/registration/fees). That's a pretty good price. It's also one of the ones made in Japan & has been sitting unsold for 4 months. All the newer 2020 sedans that are arriving are now being made in the U.S. instead. I need to decide this weekend.
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #8
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
And one important difference between hatchback and sedan is that the sedan has 6cm longer wheelbase.
It makes a Big difference in the rear Seat legroom.
We dont get the sedan Here in DK but the touring sports instead which also has the long wheelbase.
But i could import a sedan from german, But it depends on how much our High Danish registration tax will be on it.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #9
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Great farewell post, Redbat01. Wish you a lot of luck with your new Corolla, and many more days ahead for your old Yaris. Best wishes to you!
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote