Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
for some reason, when ever i used 91 (supreme) gas in my GTI (when i had it) and my father's Camry, the mpg dropped a lot. both cars normally use 89 (plus) gas. that's why i never bother to put anything higher than 87 (regular) in my Yaris. oh yeah, we've always used Chevron.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #20
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
So does anyone know why the American continent uses a different octane yardstick from the rest of the world, because over here, like eTiMaGo and jaspie, the lowest octane I can get is 92, and thereafter you get 95, 98, and 98 with special additives.

Australian 100 octane is really a lower octane petrol mixed with ethanol that raises its octane number, without really improving the performance as you'd expect a straight 100 octane would.

In my old car which was a carby Toyota 4A-FC engine, and my friends' EFI 3S-FE Camrys, we found that going 98 octane yielded about a consistent 10-20% mileage improvement.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #21
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Drives: White YRX 5DR Hatchback 2006
I see ~

But if calculate is it worth it ~ I think it is.....though I haven't done the calculations ~

The 98 octane in Australia is 6c more than the regular fuel ~ 6c more doesn't make a big difference in the total price for the Yaris and having the 4c discount receipt ~ ^_^ ~

Jaspie ~
jaspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #22
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

I used to be from Brisbane. I recall at least at Coles Express - Shell, 98 was 10cts more costly than regular unleaded.

You only need to calculate fuel cost per in terms of cents per kilometre to work out which fuel is cheaper to use.

For me, 98 was the most economical fuel. Between 92 octane and 98 octane, I was seeing a 150km difference per tank, and it only costs $5 more.

Take note however, that my carby motor was a "dumb" motor that doesn't change its timing to suit the fuel (I think).

Some people say that with modern engines don't benefit much from running premium fuel though. I'm still on my first tank with my car, so I'll be finding out. I'm on the middle ground using 95 octane currently.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:52 PM   #23
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
The following extract from an article on Encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com (Wikipedia Encyclopedia, see link below) explains why quoted octane numbers seem to be higher in Australia and Europe than in North America:

"In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-95 (regular) in Europe."

Here is the whole article: http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/octane+rating

Hope you like it.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #24
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Fuel octane doesnt make power, it allows you to run higher compression rates which does. Youd be hard pressed to find a car made in the past ten years which runs anything less than 9:1. The reason we can get by with as low as 87 octane with 10.5:1 compression is the major advances in computer controlled management, head / valve design, chamber quench design, timing and fuel delivery. The whole idea is to prevent detonation, higher octane fuel means more cylinder pressure / higher temperature before detonation happens. Its kind of like adding antifreeze to coolant to allow the water to boil at a higher temperature.
Since the yaris CAN run on 87 at 10.5:1 there is not real benefit to running higher octane unless you bump up compression. You wont get any more power because the compression doesnt change. You may however be able to adjust the timing a few degrees - on my old v8's advancing the timing to the point of detonation would sometimes net upwards of 20-30hp on stock heads on regular pump gas.

10-20yrs ago most any north american four cylinder would be lucky to make 80hp, a lot of them in or around 50-60hp. Goes to show what improvements have been made in engine design.

The only vehicle I run premium in is my '70 chev with a high comp. small block with old school cast engine and heads - cause I have to.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #25
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Last two posts have been very informative. Thanks guys.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:11 AM   #26
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleong View Post
Last two posts have been very informative. Thanks guys.
Internet is great !
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM   #27
mikeukrainetz

just an addition to actually answer the original question. No the fuel you buy at the pump no matter the grade will not harm your plugs, in the Yaris anyway. Spark plugs run in a temperature range - the length of the electrode. Lower compression hotter the plug, higher compression cooler the plug. The plug is meant to remove heat from the cylinder - higher compression produces a lot more heat so the plug needs to run cooler so it doesnt cause pre-ignition or detonation from too much heat retention. Its kind of a fine line but just know the more performance, compression etc your engine has the cooler the plug youll need to run.
So since the plugs are already meant for high compression they wont get damaged in the least.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:35 AM   #28
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Oh I see ~ Thanks guys ~ Very helpful to know.....it's great to know about other Yaris drivers around the world ~

I'm calculating the 98 octane now and how much more economical it is ~ I'm only half way through my tank ~

I've only used regular fuel once.....the first tank when the dealer's gave me a free full tank ~ That averaged around 6.7L/100km ~

Jaspie ~
Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #29
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspie View Post
Oh I see ~ Thanks guys ~ Very helpful to know.....it's great to know about other Yaris drivers around the world ~

I'm calculating the 98 octane now and how much more economical it is ~ I'm only half way through my tank ~

I've only used regular fuel once.....the first tank when the dealer's gave me a free full tank ~ That averaged around 6.7L/100km ~

Jaspie ~
mikeukrainetz is right on the money.

Y should not start to calculate your fuel mileage yet.....
The engine will have changed slightly between the first two tanks as it was broken in and will continue to loosen up the more miles you put on it. I tight engine runs quiet and has a bit higher resistance, wait a few months until the engine and drive line have all worn in and loosened up for the most accurate readings.
My car gets better mileage now with 25,000km on the odometer then it did when it was new.

The iridium spark plugs, stock on the Yaris engine work well and you will never have a problem with them. The iriduim plugs allow them to remove more heat faster the standard copper plugs or even platinum plus and this allows them to maintain a slightly higher heat range that keeps the plug clean and resists fouling while still providing the same cooloing as a copper core of a much colder rating. Add to the the fine wire design firing tip and dence metals resist errosion and provide sharp crist edges for far better spark performance over a much longer time. (150,000 km+ vs 50,000 using standard plugs)
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 AM   #30
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarii View Post
North America measures octane differently than the rest of the world so it's numbers do look lower. That said, I'm pretty sure american 87octane is slightly lower than the average regular in Europe. Probably why (or because) european cars have high compression rates, and american cars run a pathetic inefficient 8.5 or 9:1.

Low compression ratios isn't all bad. There are advantages to being able to run on dirt.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:08 AM   #31
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
The octane rating here in the states is nothing more than a anti-knock index. Hell, e85 has a very high octane rating but you make 30% less power and get 30% worse mileage.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 02:58 AM   #32
Impresive-G

Drives: 2007 Vitz Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Impresive-G
This is a very intresting thread. Though Im still a little bit confused.

My mom owned a 2000 toyota Camry 5psd MT, 4cylndr engine. She used to put on the fuel it neede but once started noticing trouble. One day she decided to put on 91oct. the camery ran better and gave more better gas miles. the car ran grate for the rest of the 4 years we had it.

On my previous car, my 240. All it neede was 87 oct. Car ran grate. Then everytime I went on a touge run i gave it some 91oct. Baby ran great and strong. I felt a lot more torqe and a goo power band response when i floored it. The gas did burn a bit quicker but thats probably because I was redlining it a lot and bouncing the rev limiter. But I did notice the remining 1/2 tank I had left after my run it lasted me a good 250 miles.

The thing that has me confused is when you said that high octane does not giv eyou more power. In a way I have to disagree, but probably because ive seen high numbers on tuned cars. My friends EVO9 runs at 276hp on 91oct. when he started to use 100oct the dyno showed an increas in hp. I dont have the graph but it did showed.

RC developments EVO 6 runs at 749hp on 98oct, 821hp on 100, and 930hp on 118.

Now help me understand of how this is a myth...

,___,
[O.o] O'RLY?
/)__)
-"--"-
Current: 2007 Toyota Yaris
History: 1988 Toyota Tercel (sold), 1993 Nissan 240SX (sold)
Impresive-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #33
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Why? because it's a turbo charged engine... a performance engine that is tuned to run on the edge may have the timing pulled slightly if the engine pick up any knock... higher octane = no knock. With a turbo charged engine a higher octane will help cool combustion temps wile preventing detonation and the engine can adjust the fuel trims for slightly more power.
But even then with a 300hp engine it may be a difference is 1-2 hp

On a 100 hp engine not designed with performance in hand but rather fuel economy higher octane won't do a thing except cost you more $$$ everytime you fill up.

Log the car over 6 months using 91+ and 6 months using 87
then calculate how much $$$ you spent of fuel and you will not save $$$ using higher octane fuel in an econobox.

FWIW cars like our Buick Regal GS 3800 supercharged, ZZP Eaton blower, pulley kit, cams, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust etc etc run fine on 87 octane providing you not pushing it to high boost levels. But pushing it requires higher octane otherwise the engine starts to knock and pulls the timing to prevent engine damage and that hurts the HP.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #34
Impresive-G

Drives: 2007 Vitz Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Impresive-G
Ah... I see.

,___,
[O.o] O'RLY?
/)__)
-"--"-
Current: 2007 Toyota Yaris
History: 1988 Toyota Tercel (sold), 1993 Nissan 240SX (sold)
Impresive-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #35
mikeukrainetz

Some missunderstanding about this may come from its overly abundant use in auto publications where multiple aftermarket parts are tested over a range of gasolines to develop baseline performance figures. Its a lot more involved than just pumping gas - 07WYarisRS is correct and obviously has some (or probably a lot) of previous engine building / tuning experience.

This might make things slightly clearer - this info was taken directly from the Department of Weights and Measures in the US.

Don’t use High Octane Premium gasoline unless your car’s manufacturer specifically recommends it. In most cases, a higher octane will not improve performance or reduce fuel consumption. It will just cost more at the pump.

Facts To Consider About Octane
What is an Octane Rating?
Your engine burns a mixture of air and fuel that is injected into each engine cylinder. Octane ratings measure the ability of an automobile engine to prevent engine knock, which occurs when some of the air-fuel mixture spontaneously ignites too early, causing a sudden jump in cylinder pressure. High Octane gasoline burns slower. This reduces engine knock.

What is Engine Knock?
It is not unusual for an engine to make a “pinging” noise at full throttle, due to high cylinder pressures. Engine knock, however, should not be ignored because it could result in serious engine damage. NOTE: If your engine knocks or pings, it does not necessarily mean something is wrong with the fuel. It could be signs of problems with the engine’s electronic control systems, ignition timing or exhaust gas recirculation.

How is Octane Rating Determined?
Two different testing ratings are used to establish Octane Ratings
MOTOR METHOD: Gasoline is run through an engine under load.
RESEARCH METHOD: Gasoline is run through a free-running engine. This method typically gives higher octane ratings than the motor method.
NOTE: State and federal law require service stations to display the Octane Rating on their pumps, on a yellow label with black lettering. The rating displayed on those labels is an average of results from the Motor and Research methods.

Does High Octane increase engine power?
Not if your car is designed to run on regular.

Does High Octane gasoline improve gas mileage?
No. If your car is designed to run on 87-Octane gasoline, which is the minimum rating for regular, switching to high octane will not improve mileage.

NOTE: If switching to High Octane does improve mileage, it may mean that your engine, or its control system, need repair. Consult your mechanic.

How is High Octane Different From Low Octane?
High Octane gasoline burns slower. This reduces engine knock when cylinder pressure is high.

Can I switch from Premium to Regular?
Check your vehicle owner’s manual. If your manual does not specifically recommend High Octane you probably can switch. If the vehicle knocks, pings or runs poorly try the Mid-Grade before returning to High Octane fuel.

Just as a side note: If you have a car thats around ten years old you may notice it pings or knocks with the same type of gas youve used for years. Typical combustion creates byproducts which usually wind up being carbon buildup in the valves or combustion chambers. The carbon promotes detonation but if you were to run higher octane gas (provided the problem isnt major buildup) youll notice power increases and no knocking or pinging. Of course being a car thats ten or more years old means you may also have worn out ignition parts as well.....
Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #36
jaspie
Lil White her name is ~

Actually......I was reading through my manual the other day ~

The Australian Yaris Hatchback Manual does say to use 91 and higher octane fuel (and or or?) ~ So I wasn't too worried about switching straight to 98 octane after my first free tank from the dealer ~

Jaspie ~