Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
Anyone have any issues with the fuel gauge?

Something weird happened to me on Christmas Eve. I was driving and then all of the sudden my car started slowing down and just died on me. After checking every little thing I could think of, it turns out I simply ran out of gas. The strange thing was that the gauge still showed 3 bars. Has anyone run into a similar problem?

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
my brother-in-law has the exact same problem on his 09 liftback! he's gotten stranded a couple times after he first bought the car(used) and now doesn't let it get below 3 bars ever. we thought at the time he got a REALLY good deal....luckily, nothing else has been wrong with the car in the year he's had it so he just always keeps a decent amount of fuel in there.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Never have had this issue.

Learn to rely more upon the trip meter. Reset it when you get gas and know how many miles you can go before a fill up.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post

Learn to rely more upon the trip meter. Reset it when you get gas and know how many miles you can go before a fill up.
Approve this msg :) Those bars working or not are the worst thing.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Crims0n5
Need More Mods!

Drives: 09 Flint Mica S Sedan!
Send a message via AIM to Crims0n5
Quote:

I thought I was getting amazing gas milage.. lesson learned lol

Giggity, Giggity
Crims0n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:

Yep! That was my thought too!

On my 09, I always have the A Tripometer on visual and that is how I know I am doing on my gas mileage.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Asif
Asif

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Lightbulb Fuel Gauge Issue resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crims0n5 View Post
Something weird happened to me on Christmas Eve. I was driving and then all of the sudden my car started slowing down and just died on me. After checking every little thing I could think of, it turns out I simply ran out of gas. The strange thing was that the gauge still showed 3 bars. Has anyone run into a similar problem?
have the same problem since we have 2 Vitz at home 2005 & 2006, same issue with the guage showing wrong bars & vehicle just died on me, since my sister had 2005 model vitz way before i had mine she told me that she had the same issue & all she did was was fill her cars fuel tank to the full and this problem was gone. .

and the learning was boys & girls, when you open the lid on your gas tank every time air pressure releases, and if your gas tank is partially filled the air does not comes out completely on its own, until you fill your gas tank all the way to the top and the air is forced out and, wala fuel gauge issue resolved. extra bars the fuel gauge is showing is air pressure nothing else, nothing is wrong with the vehicle or its gauge's

at least me & my sisters vehicle issue was resolved like this only

do let me know if it works for yaris or not.
Asif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I have run out of gas twice when it showed 2 bars and 3 (in that order). That is over the 6 years that I have owned Tiamat....damn has it really been that long already??? Anyway, it is a strange occurrence for sure. The length of time between those hiccups was about 4 months iirc. I decided to reset the ECU after that. This happened back in the 07/08 timeframe. Since then I have not ever had another issue. I agree with the peeps above that once you have figured out the typical mileage that you are getting with a car you should never just rely on it and use the odometer as your "gauge". Today's modern cars are all electronics and gadgets which tho make things "better" they also make things more complex. The more you add the more can break. There is something that can be said for a car from the 50/60/early 70s era when it comes to simplicity and reliability.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
This has not happened to me on my '10 hatch, but it happened a few weeks ago to a friend in CA with a '10 sedan. Showed 2 bars and she ran out of gas in a bad area, with her little girl in the car. A few sorta scary-looking guys pushed her out of the lane, then asked for money! lol.

Anyway, from what I've read here, it's an issue with the sending unit getting contaminated somehow. Toyota wants over $500 to fix my friend's car. She can't afford that right now - the warrantee expired just a few weeks before - so she's not letting it go past 2 bars. Neither am I now, and I'm the type that usually lets it blink fast before I get gas.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
ciscobear

Drives: Toyota Belta
The thing is, Toyota went back to a needle and also used a needle on all of the Corollas. Don't know why they went to this bar nonsense. Even moved the damn console back behin d the steering wheel.

I really wonder about ppl designing cars.
ciscobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscobear View Post
The thing is, Toyota went back to a needle and also used a needle on all of the Corollas. Don't know why they went to this bar nonsense. Even moved the damn console back behin d the steering wheel.

I really wonder about ppl designing cars.
I gotta agree, I really don't like the gas gauge in my Yaris, it goes from having a quarter of a tank to flashing. I prefer a needle like all my other vehicles...
Old 01-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
othater

Drives: 07SedanS06Taco
reset ecu for fuel gauge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
I have run out of gas twice when it showed 2 bars and 3 (in that order). That is over the 6 years that I have owned Tiamat....damn has it really been that long already??? Anyway, it is a strange occurrence for sure. The length of time between those hiccups was about 4 months iirc. I decided to reset the ECU after that. This happened back in the 07/08 timeframe. Since then I have not ever had another issue. I agree with the peeps above that once you have figured out the typical mileage that you are getting with a car you should never just rely on it and use the odometer as your "gauge". Today's modern cars are all electronics and gadgets which tho make things "better" they also make things more complex. The more you add the more can break. There is something that can be said for a car from the 50/60/early 70s era when it comes to simplicity and reliability.
I'm having the same two bar out of gas issue.

So resetting the ECU helped relearn the bars to the fuel float (not sure what its called).

Can you explain how to reset the ECU and if you had a full tank at the time and any other procedures.

Thanks
othater is offline   Reply With Quote