Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Hood wide open

I did a little mod that allows me to latch the hood wide open. For those that haven't noticed there is a depression exactly like the one that has the hole for the hood latch right below it slightly to the right. I used a metal punch and drilled two holes that matched the diameter of each end of the oblong hole in the existing latch hole above. Then I filed the bits between the holes until it was exactly like the hole above. I used a small cylindrical file to remove burrs and ease the edges. Then painted the newly exposed edges with touch up paint. Done.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
You're actually going to increase intake air temperatures this way. It also causes air to flow around the radiator. Not like it really matters on a stock power engine.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
id like to see some pictures of this if possible. at first i thought you were talking about putting your hood up completly vertical for like oil changes and R&R battery and other services.. but then after reading ddongbaps comment, im not quite sure what your talking about now.. little confused
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Pics would be yery nice.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"

Pictures please...

Old 12-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I presume he's referring to the prop holes, but ddong's comment doesn't make sense to me in that case either...

EDIT:

Based on this post, it seems my thought process was correct, so my question now is, can somebody explain the idea expressed by ddong for me? I don't see how a few tiny holes on the edge of the hood could cause any of this...
Old 12-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Sorry I don't have the ability to post pictures yet. I will try to make it clearer. If you open the hood/bonnet on a LB you will lift the hood support rod from the battery mounted catch. when you raise the support rod you put the plastic end into an oblong hole on the right side of the hood. If you look at the oblong depression surrounding the oblong hole you will see another oblong depression exactly like it just below and slightly to the right. Then you can create another oblong hole in it. Then you have a new hole to put the hood rod into which keeps the hood fully open. Anyone who wants to add photos is welcome.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #8
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
im think everyone figured out what you were saying about this but what probably really threw people off was the comment ddong made afterwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
You're actually going to increase intake air temperatures this way. It also causes air to flow around the radiator. Not like it really matters on a stock power engine.
that is what threw people off.. i think you were very clear on your OP and knew what you were talking about but the comment right got me confused, i actually went to my car to see what you and he was talking about..

kudos on the post though. i never noticed that notch there til now.. im planning on just getting a hood shock absorber to replace the hot prop.. but nice post. thanks
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote