Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2006, 08:36 PM   #19
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu View Post
Don't know about you guys, I've got the TRD short shift. I compared the height of them both and they were spot on the same height plus it was easy to fit when I did it.
Where would one purchase one of these TRD Short Shifters?
Old 12-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #20
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Tried TRD USA?
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:13 PM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
There is no TRD short shifter for the USDM Yaris. There is a JDM short shifter that doesn't fit, though.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:31 AM   #22
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I say why buy a new shifter,just chop off what ever you dont want,just like me,Charles and Spades did,even though I have an auto,it still feels/looks much better.And when I would lay down in my car my knee would always hit the knob,no problem now.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #23
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco View Post
I say why buy a new shifter,just chop off what ever you dont want,just like me,Charles and Spades did,even though I have an auto,it still feels/looks much better.And when I would lay down in my car my knee would always hit the knob,no problem now.
Few things. Shift effort, lack of preciseness between shifts and the need to lean further to grab a gear. As for "cutting" an automatic lever.. well, whatever floats your boat. More power to you man! Woo!

Why buy new springs when you can just chop them? Why buy cheap brand tyres? Why not drill holes in the exhaust for a better exhaust note? Why dim your headlights with tinted globes?*

Chino, sorry can't help you then. I drive a RHD Yaris.

* Please don't do this
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #24
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
why did i chop it? for a few reasons...first, i didnt want to take the shifter assembly apart. two, i dont have the money, i need to spend that money on new tires(the ones i have right now are oversized,long story). and three, it does actually work.

I dont have to lean any further forward to shift and its just as precise as the factory shifter. keep in mind ANY short throw shifter on the market will normally have a shorter height shifter than the stock unit. the only differance is that the space from side to side on short throw shifters is less...so you will find untill you learn to control that short throw shifter you will often be popping what you thought was 3rd and was actually 5th.the do have a little less of a throw forward to back than a chopped shifter, so the leverage is better, but otherwise, thats about it. I know, my last car had a B&M short throw shifter.

so, maybe its not as good as a true short throw shifter, but its not the same as cutting your springs so please dont put me in that catagory. thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #25
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Has anyone tried the xa short shifters you can find on ebay? The mounting points look the same and it looks very very close to the JDM vitz quickshifter, I might give it a try for $50 unless someone knows that it definitely won't fit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06...spagenameZWDVW
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
Well Ibeleive a chopped auto shifter looks alot better,and like I said it would hit my knee,but I do find it easierr to shift,I know I shoul have less leverage,but it is easier now.And just staight chopping springs dosnt give you a certain spring rate,but I see where your going.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:23 PM   #27
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
after cutting the shifter down, how do you rescrew on the knob?

My knee hits it, and sometimes passengers knees can hit it... and rarely if they are movin around too much they can knock it from D to 3... I'd like to make it a liiiiiiitle lower if possible.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 PM   #28
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
after cutting the shifter down, how do you rescrew on the knob?

My knee hits it, and sometimes passengers knees can hit it... and rarely if they are movin around too much they can knock it from D to 3... I'd like to make it a liiiiiiitle lower if possible.

could replace the knob with one of the set screw type knobs, or you could just re-cut the threads.
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #29
d2dailly
Roar?

Drives: 07 White LB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to d2dailly
what they did was take the shifter out and cut a peice out and reweld the threaded part back on as far as i know
d2dailly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #30
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Before and after...

100530532_320891697_0.jpg100531169_320893837_0.jpg

In the first picture you can see the sharpie mark where the first cut was made. The second was made at that little beveled spot that held the ring before. We then took the two pieces left over and i sat in the car and decided where I wanted to pitch it. Then it was just a matter of welding it together. Everything came out nice and straight.

Tell me, what is the difference between what I did and the TWM "short shifter" other than $90?

EDIT: Thats $125. Jesus... I mean, sure, its a lot stockier and probably feels more precise, but I'm sorry... can't justify spending that on a metal rod.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #31
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it's made in canada, man! fortified with maple syrup!

AFAIK the bottom part of the rod is also different, a bit longer, I think, so that the throw can be even shorter without reducing the height of the top part so much.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM   #32
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yeah, true short shifters reduce the travel needed to put the gear from 1 to 2 shifts, but they also reduce the throw from side to side, such as the space from 2nd to 3rd shifts.

so, technically there is a differance between our "custom" short throws and ones purchased...however...cutting your shifter is NOTHING like chopping the springs on your car, cause shortening your shifter has no negative affects on the cars relability or performance, like oh, say, like cutting your cars springs. i think that guy just forgot to take his morning midol.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #33
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
whee hee just received mine today... Instructions look a bit daunting though, gonna have to raid my friend's tool shelf, I doubt my trusty swiss army knife will handle the job...

as for the stick itself, it looks more like a knobbly mini nightstick for a midget cop
NICE RIMS MAN!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote