Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Nicholberry

Drives: 08 yaris sedan
Throttle position problem

Hey guys,
I have a 2008 Yaris sedan manual. I've had a recurring problem where my gas pedal doesn't give any response until it is about 1/2 way to the floor. It only happens for a couple days at a time and a couple months in between. This wouldn't be a huge issue for me, but I drive a manual and can be frustrating if I am continually staling or revving the crap out of my engine. I'm just looking for a little guidance because I know Toyota will try and take me for all I'm worth.
Nicholberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I would take it back to the dealer ASAP!
It is a definate serious safety issue and with all the gas pedal problems Toyota has had, I would imagine that they would address it without an argument.

It may possibly be a simple fix that only involves changing the gas pedel module.

In any event, if the local dealer wont fix it, I would contact Toyota corporate about the problem ASAP and you will shurely get attention then.
Remember "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"!
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sounds like good advice to me.

But I know what you mean. Anytime I would have to go to Toyota to have something fixed I would be watching my back, bigtime.

Its a known problem thats for sure and its cost Toyota big bucks.

Just be sure you let them know you expect them to call with an estimate for your approval before they do any work.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
what everyone else has said take it back right away. unfortunately these new drive by wire cars are hard to work on. Back in the day when you had a TPS sensor failure it was 2 screws on the throttle body. Clean the connector and the unit with some electronics cleaner and slap it back on. Did it work? if yes good if no just get a new one they are only 40 bucks.

But with these new cars you have to have computers and all kinds of stuff to work on them and get them to act right. This seems like something that should be covered under warranty if not raise hell. Dont let them give you any of that "its not part of the power train biz blah blah blah its essential to safety." i bet if your dealer wont do anything a letter to Toyota USA sure will. they dont need any more bad publicity with failing gas pedals.

Best Luck
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
RedRide

IMO it is part of the power train! It contols it.

BTW, whenever you write a corportation/company or government agency, etc with a problem, I always recomend that you send it registered mail with "signature required".
This way, it wont get lost in the shuffle and they can not deny that they got it.
This is what I do and it never fails to get a response.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
thepartsmancometh

Drives: '08 LB, '07 WRX
If you are leery of the dealer, try resetting the ECU first. This exact issue happened with our 08, and an ecu reset fixed it. The ecu "learns/adapts" to your driving, and sometimes it learns something incorrect. I worked with our master tech, and we decided it had to be the TB; I had my TB replaced under power train, but the replacement didn't fix it. I later reset the ECU doing something else, and voila, it was all better.
thepartsmancometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartsmancometh View Post
If you are leery of the dealer, try resetting the ECU first. This exact issue happened with our 08, and an ecu reset fixed it. The ecu "learns/adapts" to your driving, and sometimes it learns something incorrect. I worked with our master tech, and we decided it had to be the TB; I had my TB replaced under power train, but the replacement didn't fix it. I later reset the ECU doing something else, and voila, it was all better.
Agreed. Somtimes, resetting the ECU (or any "computer") can solve problems........ not often but, worth a try.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
And in case the OP dosen't know how, resetting the ECU can be achieved be disconnecting the battery. Leave it disconnected for 10 or so minutes, then reconnect. You will probably experience a very low idle initially while the ECU is going through its learning process.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
Nicholberry

Drives: 08 yaris sedan
Thanks for all the replies. I'll give it a shot and see if the problem persists.
Nicholberry is offline   Reply With Quote