Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #1
Type456

Drives: Like the Yaris
Getting ready to buy a 2007 Yaris hatch

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've been thinking about getting a Yaris as a 2nd car for a little while now; ever since a tree limb fell on my Subaru Forester (love that car and still have it) and ended up renting a 2012 Yaris hatch while the Subaru was being repaired.

I come from a muscle car background and have always liked cars with a bit of fun factor, but over the years I transitioned to reliable cars over "fun" cars. To me the Yaris was kind of fun to drive; not in the power sense, but its small go-cart size made it really maneuverable and it felt kind of light and zippy (the wife liked it too). I could almost see it as a primary vehicle here in NYC as opposed to the smart or IQ which I test drove while considering a lease.

Then the fun bug hit again. Since I'm looking for something small and easy to find parking for, I started looking at the civic hatch. That car has a lot of fun factor, though at 45 I'm not a fan of sitting so low to the ground and I question just how reliable an older civic would be even with a newer engine and tranny etc.

Since it's a 2nd car I wanted to keep the budget at around $6K (that's what the total cost of a Smart or Toyota IQ lease would be - and I can resell the car in 3 years as opposed to the lease where you end up with nothing. So, I found a 2007 Yaris hatch, automatic (not manual), no power windows or locks (don't really care, since it's a 2 door). The car is one owner and has only 49K miles and is pretty much flawless except for one small dent and scratch on the driver's side rear quarter. In checking the value it seems like it's about $1K below private seller value, so I'm pretty convinced this is a good deal.

I know the Yaris is the smarter choice, but the possibility of a small car with a little more power is still a draw for me i.e. the civic is still an itch and for the same money I know I could get a clean B series swapped EK hatch.

Opinions welcomed.

Last edited by Type456; 02-05-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Type456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Personally, for 6k, you could easily get a B series EK hatch in mint condition. I would go that route. I love the Yaris and probably going to keep it for the mpg's it has, but I am also in the market for a EK hatch ONLY because that was my dream car in high school. The EK type R.. I want to make a replica now that Im older and 15 years later have money to do what I want
Old 02-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
$6K is actually a good price for a low mileage Yaris. The Yaris is about 10 years newer than the Honda would be, so you would likely have a bit more reliable of a vehicle if you went with the Yaris.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Type456

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Personally, for 6k, you could easily get a B series EK hatch in mint condition. I would go that route. I love the Yaris and probably going to keep it for the mpg's it has, but I am also in the market for a EK hatch ONLY because that was my dream car in high school. The EK type R.. I want to make a replica now that Im older and 15 years later have money to do what I want
Thanks. I'm still leaning towards the Yaris. One of the factors is that I live in the city and a manual in nyc traffic can be a real pia.

You should be able to find some clean, fairly rust free cars down there!
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
Type456

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
$6K is actually a good price for a low mileage Yaris. The Yaris is about 10 years newer than the Honda would be, so you would likely have a bit more reliable of a vehicle if you went with the Yaris.
I haven't come across any one owner Yaris with that mileage in that price range. I'm sure they're out there, but in my area anything under $7K is around 100K+ miles or is an ex rental fleet car.

How durable/reliable is the automatic transmission in a Yaris?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type456 View Post
I haven't come across any one owner Yaris with that mileage in that price range. I'm sure they're out there, but in my area anything under $7K is around 100K+ miles or is an ex rental fleet car.

How durable/reliable is the automatic transmission in a Yaris?
The AT in the Yaris seems to be solid. The only failure I have seen/heard of thus far was one on a Yaris which had been totaled in its prior life, rebuilt and shipped overseas to an unsuspecting buyer.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #7
Type456

Quote:
I wanted to add, that the type R is a great car man - and a replica is an achievable dream (though personally I'd spend the money you'd have to spend on cosmetic details, on the engine, suspension and I'd put a damn AC in the car - hate that the majority of the swapped civics delete the AC - to me that's a must have). One of the nicest EK's I came across had a K20 swap for $7K - just needed a few little details to finish - it was sold pretty quickly (also no AC), but they're out there. It's funny, but when the whole civic scene started I hated those cars mainly because of all the stupid body kits and wings. I like the current trend of keeping the body mostly stock and only adding parts that actually serve a purpose.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Type456

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The AT in the Yaris seems to be solid. The only failure I have seen/heard of thus far was one on a Yaris which had been totaled in its prior life, rebuilt and shipped overseas to an unsuspecting buyer.
That's good to hear. From what I've read it seems pretty reliable. I know it'll vary based on driving conditions, but I wonder what the life expectancy is for the auto.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
I wanted to add, that the type R is a great car man - and a replica is an achievable dream (though personally I'd spend the money you'd have to spend on cosmetic details, on the engine, suspension and I'd put a damn AC in the car - hate that the majority of the swapped civics delete the AC - to me that's a must have). One of the nicest EK's I came across had a K20 swap for $7K - just needed a few little details to finish - it was sold pretty quickly (also no AC), but they're out there. It's funny, but when the whole civic scene started I hated those cars mainly because of all the stupid body kits and wings. I like the current trend of keeping the body mostly stock and only adding parts that actually serve a purpose.
Thanks, I do agree that A/C is rare in a swaped civic. I do alot of racing (autocross, Track days) so A/C isn't a requirement but a luxury, but who doesn't love luxury? I am not against body kits and wings. I just hate when they are put on and not painted or just a front bumper but no skirts.

I also agree with scott that the yaris would be a better reliable car, even if it does have 100k miles on it. I will say the EK hatch is more fun to drive though with any B series in it.

I am currently at a struggle weather or not to boost the yaris... I am torn because the yaris a fun car but it would cost me more to get the performance I want because its so hard to find used performance parts, and they get picked up really quickly when they go on sale. So everything I have bought has been brand new. The civic, just get on one of those Honda Buy/Sale pages on facebook and people are just throwing things around at reasonable prices. There are some people who are asking way more than what its worth, but they get trolled in the comments.. pretty funny.

Anywho, good luck on your choice. The Yaris is a great car and I am very happy with mine.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
That's good to hear. From what I've read it seems pretty reliable. I know it'll vary based on driving conditions, but I wonder what the life expectancy is for the auto.
Never heard of any problems with the automatic since I've been on this forum. On a personal note, I think the Yaris 4 speed automatic is a brilliant piece of work... absolutely the best automatic I have ever driven; in fact, I like it better than the 6 speed auto in my newer Camry!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
On the road since November 2005, 203,000km, one fluid change, still feels and performs like new.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I think the Yaris 4 speed automatic is a brilliant piece of work... absolutely the best automatic I have ever driven; in fact, I like it better than the 6 speed auto in my newer Camry!
I wonder why you say this?
I don't doubt it, but curious.
BTW, I like your avatar.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Didn't you say you found one at $6k range?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
Type456

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
Didn't you say you found one at $6k range?
Yep, the one I found is a one owner car for $6K with only 49K miles. I was referring to the area inventory of cars; any Yaris in the $7K and under range has around 100K miles.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Type456

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
On the road since November 2005, 203,000km, one fluid change, still feels and performs like new.
Good to hear!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #16
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack black View Post
I wonder why you say this?
I don't doubt it, but curious.
BTW, I like your avatar.
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
Type456

Quote:
Thanks, I do agree that A/C is rare in a swaped civic. I do alot of racing (autocross, Track days) so A/C isn't a requirement but a luxury, but who doesn't love luxury? I am not against body kits and wings. I just hate when they are put on and not painted or just a front bumper but no skirts.

I also agree with scott that the yaris would be a better reliable car, even if it does have 100k miles on it. I will say the EK hatch is more fun to drive though with any B series in it.

I am currently at a struggle weather or not to boost the yaris... I am torn because the yaris a fun car but it would cost me more to get the performance I want because its so hard to find used performance parts, and they get picked up really quickly when they go on sale. So everything I have bought has been brand new. The civic, just get on one of those Honda Buy/Sale pages on facebook and people are just throwing things around at reasonable prices. There are some people who are asking way more than what its worth, but they get trolled in the comments.. pretty funny.

Anywho, good luck on your choice. The Yaris is a great car and I am very happy with mine.
Thanks man.

Are you thinking turbo or sc? What's the total cost?
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #18
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Because... it upshifts and downshifts very smoothly and flawlessly... without hunting. Gear ratios and shift points are excellent. 4th gear is great on the highway with the little 1.5L. Gas mileage is outstanding. And, if you're not afraid to really get on the accelerator, its performance will surprise you.
Throw in a throttle controller and add a little sport. I don't regret my choice for automatic at all.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote