Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
asimaleem

Drives: Vitz
Vitz/Yaris 2006 1.0 version Stalls at low rpm

For the last two weeks , my vitz 2006 model (1.0L 3-cylinder engine 80K Kms done) stalls quite frequently (but not always) at low speed/rpm especially when foot is taken off the accelerator paddle usually before or after the speed breakers , traffic signals ,turns etc i.e. at low speed and rpm. Once stalled , car starts after a very long cranking on 1st or 2nd try. There is no "check engine” light or any other indication showing up. This problem has started to happen immediately after I did two things:
1). Fuel system treatment used (Liquimoly)
2). Fuel filter changed by Toyota 3s ,2 days after Fuel system treatment

According to my driver, the frequency of stalling increases whenever fuel tank is refilled (could be a coincidence). Also according to him car is creating more air pressure than usual in the fuel tank.(again he could be wrong).

I have shown this problem to Toyota 3S but they have not been able to diagnose it correctly yet and following has been done so far:
• Throttle body serviced
• Computer scan done - No problem found during computer diagnosis
• Fuel pump checked -generating normal 300 pressure

But the problem still persists! . Any idea what is wrong?
asimaleem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
scod4025

Drives: 12 LE 5d HB 1nz-fe Automatic
Hello and welcome to YW

I would tend to lean towards the Fuel Filter having issues such as being installed backwards or the wrong one or possible fuel line not fully secured to the filter causing an air leak

You didn't mention this but do you have a rough idle after start? If you have a rough run after start up for a little bit might also be the injectors
scod4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #3
asimaleem

Quote:
Originally Posted by scod4025 View Post
Hello and welcome to YW

I would tend to lean towards the Fuel Filter having issues such as being installed backwards or the wrong one or possible fuel line not fully secured to the filter causing an air leak

You didn't mention this but do you have a rough idle after start? If you have a rough run after start up for a little bit might also be the injectors
Thanks for the quick response.
By "rough idle after start" , i assume you meant that does car vibrate immediately after engine is switched on ? if so ,the answer is 'not really' apart from regular minor vibration that is always generated by Vitz engine as its 3 cylinder 1.0 L

One more thing: After stalling ,car starts with a very long cranking on first and sometimes on the second attempt . This cranking duration remains the same even if the race paddled is fully pressed during cranking compared to when the racing paddle is not pressed at all during cranking

Do you still suspect fuel filter and injectors?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Do this. Next time the car stalls, open the gas cap and try to restart. If the problem goes away, there's an issue with the venting of the tank causing a vapour lock.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
asimaleem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Do this. Next time the car stalls, open the gas cap and try to restart. If the problem goes away, there's an issue with the venting of the tank causing a vapour lock.
Tried that , but still long cranking and stalling continues.
Could it be that newly installed fuel filter is not properly fitted and causing stalling?
Old 04-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Another thing to check would be the connector for the sending unit on top of the gas tank. You just need to remove the seat bottom and pull the access cover off to check.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
scod4025

Drives: 12 LE 5d HB 1nz-fe Automatic
^^^^

I'm not saying its not and very well could be the sending unit

I'm just trying to learn all that I can about the Yaris/Vitz so I start asking questions

but wouldn't that pop a code though?
do know that it will on a lot of cars but I haven't gotten to take apart a 06 Vitz yet so don't know if that signal is monitored or not on these cars

I did do a face palm when you brought up vapor lock I always forget about that one
scod4025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
rkbladex

Drives: Toyota Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimaleem View Post
For the last two weeks , my vitz 2006 model (1.0L 3-cylinder engine 80K Kms done) stalls quite frequently (but not always) at low speed/rpm especially when foot is taken off the accelerator paddle usually before or after the speed breakers , traffic signals ,turns etc i.e. at low speed and rpm. Once stalled , car starts after a very long cranking on 1st or 2nd try. There is no "check engine” light or any other indication showing up. This problem has started to happen immediately after I did two things:
1). Fuel system treatment used (Liquimoly)
2). Fuel filter changed by Toyota 3s ,2 days after Fuel system treatment

According to my driver, the frequency of stalling increases whenever fuel tank is refilled (could be a coincidence). Also according to him car is creating more air pressure than usual in the fuel tank.(again he could be wrong).

I have shown this problem to Toyota 3S but they have not been able to diagnose it correctly yet and following has been done so far:
• Throttle body serviced
• Computer scan done - No problem found during computer diagnosis
• Fuel pump checked -generating normal 300 pressure

But the problem still persists! . Any idea what is wrong?
Did your problem get resolved? I am also experiencing the same issue but in my case Error Code has been recorded in ECU.

- RKBladeX
rkbladex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
ok, i'm not going to help with the low idle stalling but this is to remove one of your worries.

try this to eliminate the long start issue (could be a computer controlled thing).

once you stall, don't turn the key toward cranking right away. take the key out (as if you are about to leave the car), then put it back in then crank it.

if the long crank goes away, it's not one of your problems. your problem is stalling, which i still have, but less after replacing fuel pump. ($300+ at the stealership!)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Xuereb87
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota yaris
Same problem

I have the exact same problem as described by your client. Stalling frequency increases when I refill the tank. Have you solved this issue?
Xuereb87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #11
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
I assume it cannot be so basic thing such as worn-out plugs?
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote