Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
nkaufman

Drives: Yaris
2010 Sedan Drive Belt?

Hello,

Have a 2010 Yaris 4-door Sedan with 40K miles.

Dealer is asking me to get the "Drive Belt" replaced. Toyota maintenance does not say anything about this.

Am wondering if I should go ahead with this replacement or get a second opinion. Car runs fine. Hear no squealing noise while turning etc.

Dealer charging $160 for this.

Thanks,

Last edited by nkaufman; 06-10-2016 at 10:09 AM.
nkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #2
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
According to the toyota site:
"Drive Belts will last 60,000 to 100,000km with normal use, but this can vary greatly due to harsh operating conditions."
If there is no signs of noises or malfunction of any of the components driven by the belt (water pump, alternator, compressor,etc ) and there is no visual damage of the belt, then maybe is better get a second opinion just to be sure.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
Biginjapan13

Drives: lowered/ exhaust
A drive belt is NOT an item that can be given a time or mileage time stamp. Living in Arizona I see drive belts start cracking at 45k miles. Visually inspect the drive belt and if there are cracks closer then 1 inch apart then the drive belt should be replaced. Just because there isn't a noise doesn't mean the belt isn't bad. The last thing you want is to be driving and the belt break cause then your engine won't have any accessories moving including the water pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biginjapan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
As a point of comparison, the drive belt didn't need changing on my 2000 Accord until around 105K miles, while I was living in Atlanta, GA. I doubt it would have fared that well out here in AZ though. I'm guessing that VA weather is a bit more harsh on a vehicle than it was in GA (particularly winters).
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:52 PM   #5
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
It is a 30 dollar part and they are charging 130 dollars for a couple minutes install time.
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Mine was cracking. I was going to have it replaced until I saw the $130 price the dealer wanted. My part? $18. It took me 30 minutes to do myself.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
$160 for an accessory belt is rape.

Check it yourself. Is it loose? Are the ribs on the inner side of it damaged or gone?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaufman View Post
Hello,

Have a 2010 Yaris 4-door Sedan with 40K miles.

Dealer is asking me to get the "Drive Belt" replaced. Toyota maintenance does not say anything about this.

Am wondering if I should go ahead with this replacement or get a second opinion. Car runs fine. Hear no squealing noise while turning etc.

Dealer charging $160 for this.

Thanks,
20 bucks for belt and maybe 10 to 15 min in replacing ...do it yourself save the money .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
nkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginjapan13 View Post
A drive belt is NOT an item that can be given a time or mileage time stamp. Living in Arizona I see drive belts start cracking at 45k miles. Visually inspect the drive belt and if there are cracks closer then 1 inch apart then the drive belt should be replaced. Just because there isn't a noise doesn't mean the belt isn't bad. The last thing you want is to be driving and the belt break cause then your engine won't have any accessories moving including the water pump

That is the reason for the post. If not based time or mileage criteria, then I thought noise would be the first indicator. Are you saying that the belt could snap just like that without presenting any symptom first?
Old 06-11-2016, 07:53 AM   #10
nkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
According to the toyota site:
"Drive Belts will last 60,000 to 100,000km with normal use, but this can vary greatly due to harsh operating conditions."
If there is no signs of noises or malfunction of any of the components driven by the belt (water pump, alternator, compressor,etc ) and there is no visual damage of the belt, then maybe is better get a second opinion just to be sure.
Yes, that is what I'm thinking of doing.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #11
nkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
$160 for an accessory belt is rape.

Check it yourself. Is it loose? Are the ribs on the inner side of it damaged or gone?
As is most service performed by a dealer.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Biginjapan13

Drives: lowered/ exhaust
Quote:
That is the reason for the post. If not based time or mileage criteria, then I thought noise would be the first indicator. Are you saying that the belt could snap just like that without presenting any symptom first?

Usually belts do make noise when they go bad, but there are sometimes that they don't. You said it didn't make noise when Turing the steering wheel but if I'm not mistaken you car has electronic power steering and there is no power steering pump. So even with a bad belt turning the wheel wouldn't create a noise with the belt anyhow. On the other hand just because it makes noise doesn't mean it's bad. A Yaris does not have an automatic tensioner and it the belt were to be loose (they can stretch) that could also make noise. If you could post a pic of the ribs on the drive belt I'm sure we could tell you if it's bad or not

Biginjapan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:16 PM   #13
nkaufman

Belt pics

Hello,

Attached are some pics. Do not know if I captured the condition of the belt properly enough. Please let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0700-2.jpg (148.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0701-2.jpg (222.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0703-2.jpg (177.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
Exiwolfman

In the middle and last pic one can see cracks, also belts are cheap and so easy to change on a Yaris yourself...so why risk it just pick up a belt also if get it from Toyota just ask the parts guy to print off how it goes on.
This way you won't make a mistake, all you need to do is loosen the bolts on the alternator .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Exiwolfman; 07-04-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
nkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
In the middle and last pic one can see cracks, also belts are cheap and so easy to change on a Yaris yourself...so why risk it just pick up a belt also if get it from Toyota just ask the parts guy to print off how it goes on.
This way you won't make a mistake, all you need to do is loosen the bolts on the alternator .

Thank you for looking at the pics.

I couldn't see any cracks on the belt similar to what mention and am wondering if you could point those areas in the picture.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #16
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
From what I can see in the picture belt looks good to me.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Thank you for looking at the pics.

I couldn't see any cracks on the belt similar to what mention and am wondering if you could point those areas in the picture.
The cracks are visible on the inside the rib part of belt, that belt needs replacement.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #18
nkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
The cracks are visible on the inside the rib part of belt, that belt needs replacement.

I'd asked before but asking again.

For my knowledge (and others on the forum), could you please point out the spots that show these cracks on the picture?

Thanks,