Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
thelintonwyrm

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS, 2dr. 5spd. HB
2008 Yaris RS 2dr LB, 6 disc in dash, no aux. Questions.

Hi Folks
Was hoping to see if i could save time and ask before taking my dash apart.
I have a 2008 Yaris RS, 2Dr. HB.

The Vehicle came with a 6disc in dash CD player, mp3 capable, AM/FM
It is silver, has no aux button.

Reading older posts about where the auz wires are and things, and I guess this particular deck is LOW END for the Yaris.

2 questions.
Can you hook up an Ipod Nano to this deck?
Are there RCA outputs on the back of this thing.?

(Dumb canuck questions )

Thanks,
thelintonwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
I have the same radio in another 2008. There's no practical way of connecting an iPod directly - you can use one of the adapters that broadcasts to an FM frequency. I don't bother - i just burn CD-Rs on my Mac and put them in the changer. If you can tolerate the poor quality of MP3s, you could put many hours of music on up to 6 MP3 discs.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
poor quality? I don't remember the quality of my OEM deck hehe...

but for average songs... you can put about 160 songs on a 700mb CD @320kbps. times 6, you've got plenty of music..

nah no.. the 6 cd changer that came with the RS does not support aux in or has any sort of RCA inputs.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
If you can tolerate the poor quality of MP3s, you could put many hours of music on up to 6 MP3 discs.
Poor Quality MP3????? I am going to assume you have no experience in how to correctly make an MP3.

First choose a ripper that will allow you to use an external encoder or it will allow you to install and use your own encoder. The rippers I use is EAC or Audiograbber. The encoder I use is LAME 3.98.

If you download music off the net, don't download MP3s. Download FLAC or some other lossless compression music file and make your own MP3.

I have NEVER had anyone been able to tell the difference between an original CD and an MP3 that I made from it. First our ears are not that good unless your using an old QDesign MP3 encoder, then anyone (even the tone deaf) can hear the difference.

MP3 Encoding has come a long way since the 1980s.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
IllusionX

even 320kbit mp3s can't match the quality of a cd.. but it all depends on what you listen to and what kind of sound system you have...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
Ranger SVO

Drives: 2010 Yaris
I used to think like you. I believed it was true becuase I was told it was true a 1000 times. I really believed that I could hear the difference. We are brainwashed to think that our ears are better than what they really are. In reality, it is impossible for us to determine the difference between a 320 bit MP3 and a CD. The only stipulation would be that the MP3 is properly encoded.

I did a double blind test a few years back (I believed that CDs sounded better and I could hear the difference), and I picked the MP3 as sounding better 63 out of a 100 times, the second time I picked the CD as sounding better 55 out of a hundred times.

These results are no better than guessing. I could not tell the difference and neither can anyone else.

Again the MP3 must be properly encoded, no 1980s encoders (like windows uses). Download EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and use LAME 3.98.4 MP3 encoder. And try it.

If you wanna know how to properly run a double blind sound test, (neither you nor the person conducting the test knows which CD is the MP3 or the CD) I should be able to find the info for you.

Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
Giordano Bruno
Ranger SVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
thelintonwyrm

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS, 2dr. 5spd. HB
ipod iterface no need for aux channel ???

Just reading an older post, and they show this item as an Aux wire harness that attaches to a device that allows interface to the 6 disc in dash changer/CD player, silver color has no aux button. Any one tried this item with success?

http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapt...m-aux-toy.html

Thanks Rob.
thelintonwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
IllusionX

404: page not found