Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #37
Eatoman

Drives: '07 Yaris 5dr HB
Quote:
I purchased my 2009 Yaris LB new and so far the water pump and the water pump belt had to be replaced with only 16k miles on the odometer. I had to bring my Yaris back to the dealership three times after the water pump replacement due to coolant leaking. After three trips to the dealership the problem still hasn't been resolved since I've been forced to refill my coolant reservoir once a week due to coolant lost.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune wooverstone! Perhaps just a bad batch of 2009's?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:02 PM   #38
Eatoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
Mine with 62k

-Two front seats replaced almost entirely
-Exhaust mid section replaced due to faulty catalytic converters
-Water pump started leaking at 56k
-Manual Transmission replaced at 58k
-Passengers control arm need replacing now, I'm waiting until is destroyed to change it.

There are many other small things that I experienced with the car, I understand is a cheap car but with other cheap car I owned in the past I have never seen so many issues one after the other. I think I'm still going to keep it because I have spend to much of my time getting it to work fine.
Guess all Yaris's aren't made perfect...I just hope my Yaris lasts as long as my old car...a '97 Geo Tracker. After 13 long years of daily driving that little Tracker never let me down. Finally decided it was time for a change, so I settled on a Yaris. Guess I'll have to wait and see how this little car tackles these crazy canadian winters!
Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #39
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatoman View Post
Sorry to hear about your misfortune wooverstone! Perhaps just a bad batch of 2009's?
The Yaris is an excellent and reliable car. Seeing that most owners have little to no problems am probably one of the few who happen to get one of the bad Yarii.
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #40
TurnOntoTheDirtRoad

Drives: Yaris Hatchback 2009
I'm on my second Yaris, aside from oil changes and wiper blades, it has been perfectly reliable.
TurnOntoTheDirtRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #41
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Quote:
Guess all Yaris's aren't made perfect...I just hope my Yaris lasts as long as my old car...a '97 Geo Tracker. After 13 long years of daily driving that little Tracker never let me down. Finally decided it was time for a change, so I settled on a Yaris. Guess I'll have to wait and see how this little car tackles these crazy canadian winters!
Not all the Yaris have all the things I’ve had with mine, they have the common problem such as the Water pump going bad soon. Right know I’m hopping everything goes well, I need to fix my right control arm and I hope that’s it for while will see
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #42
Eatoman

Quote:
Not all the Yaris have all the things I’ve had with mine, they have the common problem such as the Water pump going bad soon. Right know I’m hopping everything goes well, I need to fix my right control arm and I hope that’s it for while will see
What exactly is a "right control arm"? Is this a costly repair?
Old 10-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #43
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
control arm for the right side. since they stopped using a-arms a while back...you need a 'control' arm to control forward/backward movement of the lower arms. where the strut mounts, and the bar from the lower knuckle to the frame. if a 'control' arm wasnt there the bottom of the tire would move forward/backward and anywhere inbetween.

so...bushings are made of rubber...they go bad. need replacing. i can't imagine any more than 100 for parts and about an hours labor plus...possibly...an alignment.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #44
Lucas13

It is exactly what severous01 Explain, In my case the Lower Ball Joint (attached to the wheel hub) seems to be the responsible one that makes a hard noise when braking a little bit hard.

The Dealer quoted $564 and I told them , I'll change it by my self, With an after market part and aligment will total $160 I will save $404 not bad...

A decent shop with aligment included may not be as expensive as the stealer!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #45
Eatoman

Quote:
It is exactly what severous01 Explain, In my case the Lower Ball Joint (attached to the wheel hub) seems to be the responsible one that makes a hard noise when braking a little bit hard.

The Dealer quoted $564 and I told them , I'll change it by my self, With an after market part and aligment will total $160 I will save $404 not bad...

A decent shop with aligment included may not be as expensive as the stealer!
Why am I not surprised! The stealership was asking $75 for a bloody hubcap! Not a tire, or a steel rim....a HUBCAP! I was happy to oblige with as well! LOL! Thanks again guys for clueing me on what a control arm is!

I did notice my front suspension makes somewhat of a knocking sound whenever I go over a small bump...is this normal or does this mean that my bushings are starting to go as well?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #46
SimTronik
Machinist

Drives: Yaris sedan 2010
Can sell you my hubcaps lol Just got rid of them by painting my steel wheels.
dealership is ridiculous. Paid 193$ to install my fogs.
SimTronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:55 AM   #47
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Mine is good so far.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #48
Lucas13

Quote:

I did notice my front suspension makes somewhat of a knocking sound whenever I go over a small bump...is this normal or does this mean that my bushings are starting to go as well?
We have seen here many yaris with front suspension noises, it seems that its common but I don't consider it Normal. There could be different reasons not just the bushings.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #49
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I feel the Yaris model is very reliable. I didn't have a single repair other than oil changes, one air filter change, and one set of 4 tires until I had the front wheel bearings replaced at almost 111k miles. Since then I have only replaced the battery at 138k miles, the tires again at 140k w/70k on old set, the headlight bulbs and rear plate bulb between 140k and 171k, the alternator at 159k, and the serpentine belt + a minor rear brake adjustment/cleaning together last week at 207,135 miles. The current tires will probably need replacing at a bit over 215k miles.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #50
caper26

Drives: 2010 4D Sedan 5M w/convenience
when I was shopping for a car last year, my mechanic said get the yaris (instead of kia, hyndai). He said he never sees them in his shop!! I heard the same thing at canadian tire when I was buying my new wheels... he didn't know the car well because they never see them in the bay!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper26 View Post
when I was shopping for a car last year, my mechanic said get the yaris (instead of kia, hyndai). He said he never sees them in his shop!! I heard the same thing at canadian tire when I was buying my new wheels... he didn't know the car well because they never see them in the bay!
Very interesting.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #52
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I guess my 5+ year old Yaris verifies what is being said here. Except for a fuel gauge that misbehaved and standard service checks, I have had zero problems. My buddy's ;05 Echo (basically the same car) has yet to see the inside of a shop except for service checks. Please, tell me how anyone could beat that?
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #53
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
haha, the 300k miles guys, yes i've heard of him and which up to now i still dont know his name lol, anyways i have 07 HB with 80k miles on mine...nothing major so far for mine, i only did regular things, like oil change, tire rotation/getting a new sets, transmission oil change, and just resurface my brake disc and drums....and i havent changed my brake pads lol which i have to say i am very impress that im still have like 40% life of my brake pads every since i got my 07 HB new lol....but the only thing that i need to fix is my AC hose and need to recharge my AC fluids, thats all i have to do and all in all, everything is still in good shape :D
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #54
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
i applaud you guys with the 200K+ on the odometer, i hope to one day reach it myself in the yaris, but where the hell are you guys driving???? i have an 07 sedan, about to hit 47K and no major problems so far. One of my belts (alternator i believe) starting cracking and i replaced it, but other than that its been just basic maintainence
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote