Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Fat man springs...

Here is probably a new one for you. I know everyone is in to lowering their Yarii and stablizing the suspension. My question is... ("fat guy in a little" car (tommy)) I am a fat s.o.b. and I fear my little yaris is squatin under the weight. Is there a suspension out there that will hold up to a fat man? Do I need like stiffer springs or what? I just don't want the car to lean to the left, if you know what I mean. But seriously, any ideas or advice? Thanks in advance.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Drives: 08 Blk LB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VplfvXXVrJE

Do you want it to be this stiff?

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
m911gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VplfvXXVrJE

Do you want it to be this stiff?
Haha! No, probably not quite that stiff. I just don't want it to sag when I get in it.

Last edited by Slick; 04-25-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Haha! No, probably not quite that stiff. I just don't want it to sag when I get it in it.
It's a tough call, the springs and dampers aren't super stiff mainly since the car is so light. I have had two different sets of lowering springs and I think the Tanabe's are a perfect stiffness...granted I have them combined with many other suspension modifications. Also, the TRD shocks/struts are a much nicer feeling/handling set up over stock.

This car drives like a bubble until you really start to change suspension components.

Who knows what the stiffest aftermarket spring is? If we could obtain OEM spring and damper rates, I could run a computer simulation to see what spring and damper rates we could use to lower body travel as well as reduce the acceleration of the body mass.

Some say that he is the secret love child of Ferrari and Porsche, and others say that he would lap James May twice in a 1/4 mile drag race. All we know is that he is called The Stig.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Anyone else have experience with the program Simulink?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
You could probally stack 2 bump stops on top of each other to greatly increase your spring rate without having to spend a lot of money.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Slick

What is a bump stop? Im asuming the name gives it away, but what is it literally? Can you give me a link? It would be great if I could just something to stiffin up the front left spring.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
WTF? How big are you, I am a short, big dude...and i have my car lowered with no problems. you aint going to make the car stand on two wheels if that is what you are worried about. Another member MadDog is a Tall Big Dude, and he from what we know has no issues with his ride.

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Klinton

Drives: 2009 Yaris sedan Flint Mica
my buddy weights 340 pounds and drives my car fine man no left lean

205/45/17 Nittos/ KN tyhoon 69 intake
EURO areo muffler / DF 210 Springs
NST 10% Pulley/ 15% tint
600watt rockford punch 12" subs and amp
micro image rocks!
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
dont forget dampers, that will help the problem too. you can also get spring rubbers to raise the rates. if you really are that big, you can run a stiffer rubber on the left front spring, with a slightly softer one on the other 3.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
m911gt
Carless in Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
You could probally stack 2 bump stops on top of each other to greatly increase your spring rate without having to spend a lot of money.
your spring rate wouldn't change since it equates to a force per length...you wouldn't really be changing the unsprung length of the spring and definitely not altering the force exerted.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 AM   #12
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
What is a bump stop? Im asuming the name gives it away, but what is it literally? Can you give me a link? It would be great if I could just something to stiffin up the front left spring.
http://www.google.com/products?q=lon...num=1&ct=title
Old 04-24-2009, 01:32 AM   #13
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by m911gt View Post
your spring rate wouldn't change since it equates to a force per length...you wouldn't really be changing the unsprung length of the spring and definitely not altering the force exerted.
Not if you stacked the bump stops completed so there would be practically no movement
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Not if you stacked the bump stops completed so there would be practically no movement
then you effectively removed that spring and shock from being useful, ie it wont compress or dampen. He just wants to raise the spring rate a little to compensate for weight.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #15
Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
WTF? How big are you, I am a short, big dude...and i have my car lowered with no problems. you aint going to make the car stand on two wheels if that is what you are worried about. Another member MadDog is a Tall Big Dude, and he from what we know has no issues with his ride.
I am 6' 4" and 395 lbs, so yeah, i'm a hefty dude. No, I'm not worried about the car rollin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinton View Post
my buddy weights 340 pounds and drives my car fine man no left lean
My car has not yet began to lean either, however, my first and second truck did it enventually and it is only a matter of time before this little car starts to do it also

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
then you effectively removed that spring and shock from being useful, ie it wont compress or dampen. He just wants to raise the spring rate a little to compensate for weight.
Exactly! I want the ride to semi-enjoyable but at the same time I don't want it to lean when I set in it.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
I am 6' 4" and 395 lbs, so yeah, i'm a hefty dude. No, I'm not worried about the car rollin.

My car has not yet began to lean either, however, my first and second truck did it enventually and it is only a matter of time before this little car starts to do it also

Exactly! I want the ride to semi-enjoyable but at the same time I don't want it to lean when I set in it.

did you look at the link i posted earlier? what you want is a spring rubber. Longacre makes them, if you watch nascar, they talk about them all the time. They are great for tuning the spring rate of each corner independently (but any change to one corner, results in slight changes to the others, but that is way beyond our scope here.)

That should be exactly what you need... now what rate you need, no idea LOL, might have to experiement a little, but they are cheap-ish, so no worries...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:18 PM   #17
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
forget the $ for springs/shocks...

Old 04-25-2009, 05:20 AM   #18
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
^^^^^
Agreed. That's what you can do for yourself.
But for the car to work around you. I would just suggest leaving everything stock. When it leans, change the springs and shocks on all 4 corners. If the factory equipment goes sour really fast, then maybe when you change the suspension go with springs that are factory height but with a higher spring rate, yet retains a stock ride height.
If the load is uneven in a car, some sort of lean will eventually occur. With stiffer springs, it will just be less noticeable over the given time.