Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Need Advice: Private College & Loans

Ok, as some of you might remember pre-hack I inquired about Western Culinary Institute in Portland, OR.

As some of you warned it was a crap school. Immediately after getting the loans arranged and signing up for the Hospitality and Business Management course shady tactics began to be revealed. For one, they didn't tell us, or any later visiting potential students for that matter that they would be discontinuing the course, my girlfriend was in their last class. Half the teachers quit part way through the program, forcing teachers to teach classes they knew nothing about, and one teacher even took off during winter break with student files. Anyway, she completed all her classes and graduated. She has a loan from Wells Fargo and another small loan from the school.

The school is absolutly refusing to give her the degree until she makes 3 consecutive payments in a row. There was a computer glitch on their end one month and even though we paid they said she had to start over with payments, so were back to only 1 month consecutively paid, and now they are refusing to transfer her official transcripts to the local community college here as WCI was crap and she didn't get taught anything (also for example they don't help students find work, they go on craigslist and give the students printouts of jobs!)

Can they refuse to transfer her transcripts to another college like that?? We need them to get transferred for her financial aid. Also is there an attorney we could contact who might help us get her $ back from the school to get the loan repaid? She doesn't want the degree now as they didn't teach her anything, and is aware she will need to pay the interest to the banks.

We just have no idea where to start, and have $45,000 in student loans for a worthless school that just showed powerpoint presentations, didn't help with the externship or job placement. Oh, also the school wants her to sign a release form so she can get her transcripts, saying she's releasing them from all liability. I call BS.

Help!?!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
tell her not to sign ANYTHING without getting a lawyer involved if you are this far into this. If you have paid these things in the past there I hope you paid by check or by bank transfer or something other than cash so you have a money trail. Call someone to get involved in this it may cost you some money because you are NOT sueing them, but just trying to get the money back that was wasted, or just tell them if actions are not corrected here on then you will have to have your lawyer speak to them from now on to correct what has happened.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
See if you can get the local News staion on the case.
http://www.katu.com/news/problemsolver

Sometimes a reporter showing up will get the ball rolling.

Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Thanks guys, contacted KATU with details. I remember they've broken some good stuff before, and I KNOW this school has gotten in trouble before.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm a little confused. Are you saying the school won't release her transcripts to another school? Because then you can ask for a copy of the policy that covers that from the outgoing school.

If it's a private school, it may be within their right not to release transcripts until tuition is completely paid -- but I've never heard of it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Correct, they are refusing to release the transcript but we've gotten no explanation. Repeat calls go straight to voicemail.