Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
doublewam

Drives: 2009 Yaris
29.5 mpg

My first tank in my brand new 2009 Yaris automatic got 29.5 mpg.

This driving mostly out of traffic but 80% backroads, (not highway).

Does this sound right? I was expecting more. I wasn't hot-rodding it either.
doublewam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
It will get better. Read all the posts on this website gas mileage and you can't help but come away with great ideas that will increase your mileage.

Keep in mind, if you want to drive the speed limit, or above, your mileage will be under 40MPG, but I think 38MPG while driving 70 MPH is fantastic!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Don't feel bad.
After a year, I've not topped 32MPG. I also have the A/T LB.
Good luck and enjoy your car!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I ran the AC for a whole tankfull once, drove a bit aggressively, and my mileage was around 28. now I run the AC sparingly and drive aggressively and get 34mpg. do you run the AC much?
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Driving habits are a funny thing. A lot of people (probably most people) aren't really driving efficiently, even when they THINK they're not driving aggressively. It all has to do with our habits. Things like trying to maintain a constant speed over hills instead of allowing the car to slow down a bit, or like mashing the gas to pass another car instead of just slowing down by a factor of 2 mph and just following them, or subconciously speeding up when there's a car creeping up beside us on the interstate.

WITHOUT giving up the air conditioning, you can make some very subtle changes to your driving habits and easily see in improvement of 10%. (bringing you from 29.5 up to 33) Without trying much harder, you could see an additional 10%. (bringing you up to 36) And, if you get serious about it, there's still another 10% beyond that. (bringing you up to 38-40 mpg) If you get really crazy, beyond that first 30% of improvement from "typical", there's yet another 10-20%. It's true, you could see an additional 50% more mpg than you are right now. From almost 30mpg to at least 45mpg. And it's all in how you drive the car.

Read up on the "hypermiling" tips, there is much to be gained. As a bonus, you'll find that you become a much more aware driver and more relaxed behind the wheel.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Driving habits are a funny thing. A lot of people (probably most people) aren't really driving efficiently, even when they THINK they're not driving aggressively. It all has to do with our habits. Things like trying to maintain a constant speed over hills instead of allowing the car to slow down a bit, or like mashing the gas to pass another car instead of just slowing down by a factor of 2 mph and just following them, or subconciously speeding up when there's a car creeping up beside us on the interstate.

WITHOUT giving up the air conditioning, you can make some very subtle changes to your driving habits and easily see in improvement of 10%. (bringing you from 29.5 up to 33) Without trying much harder, you could see an additional 10%. (bringing you up to 36) And, if you get serious about it, there's still another 10% beyond that. (bringing you up to 38-40 mpg) If you get really crazy, beyond that first 30% of improvement from "typical", there's yet another 10-20%. It's true, you could see an additional 50% more mpg than you are right now. From almost 30mpg to at least 45mpg. And it's all in how you drive the car.

Read up on the "hypermiling" tips, there is much to be gained. As a bonus, you'll find that you become a much more aware driver and more relaxed behind the wheel.

that says it all. for little money, you can get the Ecometer (~$60, i think) and you will learn quickly which habits are killing your FE.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18650
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Loren
What?

Really, you can get that first 20% without spending ANY money. Beyond that, the feedback of some FE monitoring helps A LOT.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Very good advice above!

We may not be able to change the environment we drive in but we can change how we drive in it. I thought I was an efficient driver until I bought an ecometer and started following the hypermiling tips that BailOut posted here. By my third tank I had picked up 5.5 mpg. It's actually been quite fun trying to improve mileage.

Most also report significant gains as the vehicle breaks in.

R2
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #9
Sandwash

Drives: 2009 Yaris w/man.trans.
I've had my '09 3-door liftback with manual trans for 6 weeks now, and having driven 2300 miles i've been noticing increasing improvements with latest calc being 36 mpg. And, this is in so. Arizona which includes much rural driving at 75 miles per hour and a.c. blasting full-on with outside fahrenheit temps of 103 degrees.
Sandwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
maximapitko

Drives: Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan 5spd
36-40mpg all day every day since day one. It doesn't seem like the AC affects things much either. Once I was runnning late fopr a wedding in ND so I ended up driving 202 miles in 1hour 50min-keeping it at 114mph(just before the limiter kicks in). With crazy head wind and 4 people in the car I got 19.8mpgs :)
maximapitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Using the brakes wastes fuel. Every time you touch the brake pedal, you're taking kinetic energy you built up by burning fuel and converting it to waste heat. If you're accelerating and braking for curves, holding speed downhill with brakes, or of course having to make stops, you'll see your mileage go down.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewam View Post
My first tank in my brand new 2009 Yaris automatic got 29.5 mpg.

This driving mostly out of traffic but 80% backroads, (not highway).

Does this sound right? I was expecting more. I wasn't hot-rodding it either.
Whats the air temp. where you live?
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I couldn't break into the 30's for a while. I had a part of the plastic under the engine that had come off partially, acting like an air brake. 3-7mpg improvement when I dremeled off the bad piece. Also have an '07 auto liftback.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
auxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximapitko View Post
36-40mpg all day every day since day one. It doesn't seem like the AC affects things much either. Once I was runnning late fopr a wedding in ND so I ended up driving 202 miles in 1hour 50min-keeping it at 114mph(just before the limiter kicks in). With crazy head wind and 4 people in the car I got 19.8mpgs :)
Are you serious?
That's pretty hard to believe. I'd think the tires would blow after a few minutes. Also, with 4 people aboard?
Where the heck can you drive like that mile after mile???

Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Are you serious?
That's pretty hard to believe. I'd think the tires would blow after a few minutes. Also, with 4 people aboard?
Where the heck can you drive like that mile after mile???
North Dakota, pay attention.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
auxmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
North Dakota, pay attention.

LOL.
Hey I'm from the NY metro area, gimme a break Loren.
Trying that stunt would be just impossible here at least!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM   #17
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Your MPG's are a little low but you can bring them up. It just all depends on how high you want your MPG's to get. Read the "hypermiling" tips , as Loren stated. Then pic what works for you.
My average stays between 38 and 42 MPG's.
I only use 3 or 4 rules.
#1) Slow Down: I try to drive between 55 and 65MPH, and coast as much as possible(dont use the brakes so much, as stated above)
#2) Air Pressure: I use 40 PSI in my tires, that combined with the lowering springs makes for one stiff ride, but both of them improve MPG's
#3) Plan/Combine Trips: I do this to the extreme. I try not to travel during traffic times or when its so hot that I must use A/C.

Hope this helps. Trust me read the "hypermiling" tips .
Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 AM   #18
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
How's the condition of your air filter? My LeBaron had a mouse nest in the stock airbox, didn't find out about it until it got sucked into the throttle body, with the throttle wide open. Also keeping the exterior clean and waxed can help.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote