Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2009, 08:25 AM   #19
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
Was that the tank that was filled up by the dealer? If so, toss it out and start with the first tank YOU fill-up. I gained almost 4 mpg on the second tank because it was under filled.

You can achieve much better mileage IF you want to. It does take some adjustment to the way you look at driving though, 50 mpg tanks aren’t going to drop from the sky and bop you on the head. If you are truly looking to get the most from your ride folks here are more than willing to help. Just let us know!

One tip, try lightening up on the skinny pedal while you are cruising. You will be amazed at how little pressure is required to keep the Yaris moving at a constant speed. That will bring you into the hang time technique, lightening up even more to ever so slooooowly reduce speed and up the mileage. Second, accelerate a bit slower. You don’t NEED to mash the gas to accelerate. Lightly press the gas, wait a second or two and see if that makes you accelerate. If not, press just a little more and wait. You will soon find just how much pressure it takes to get you going. Accept slower acceleration and you have saved even more gas. I’m not saying you have to take 5 miles to get up to 45 mph, just no need to smoke the tires at each stop light is all. I have a Scangauge 2 and can see the results of all these instantaneously.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
YotaYaris

Drives: 09 3dr (sold), 12 SE 5spd : )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
How's the condition of your air filter? My LeBaron had a mouse nest in the stock airbox, didn't find out about it until it got sucked into the throttle body, with the throttle wide open. Also keeping the exterior clean and waxed can help.

Holy Crap, you have to be kidding me. I just did a real LOL after reading this.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

A friend of mine with a bulldozer powered by a Detroit Diesel 4-71 had the same thing happen. A mouse nest isn't good to suck inside a GMC blower. Probably isn't good for the mice, either.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_Woodchuck View Post
Was that the tank that was filled up by the dealer? If so, toss it out and start with the first tank YOU fill-up. I gained almost 4 mpg on the second tank because it was under filled.

You can achieve much better mileage IF you want to. It does take some adjustment to the way you look at driving though, 50 mpg tanks aren’t going to drop from the sky and bop you on the head. If you are truly looking to get the most from your ride folks here are more than willing to help. Just let us know!

One tip, try lightening up on the skinny pedal while you are cruising. You will be amazed at how little pressure is required to keep the Yaris moving at a constant speed. That will bring you into the hang time technique, lightening up even more to ever so slooooowly reduce speed and up the mileage. Second, accelerate a bit slower. You don’t NEED to mash the gas to accelerate. Lightly press the gas, wait a second or two and see if that makes you accelerate. If not, press just a little more and wait. You will soon find just how much pressure it takes to get you going. Accept slower acceleration and you have saved even more gas. I’m not saying you have to take 5 miles to get up to 45 mph, just no need to smoke the tires at each stop light is all. I have a Scangauge 2 and can see the results of all these instantaneously.
Listen to this man. He's helpful and knows his stuff. One of the great members on this board.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #23
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Yup, not kidding! Thankfully the car still had it's Level II turbo setup, not the Level V I had it upgraded too. If not, I don't think I would be here! The reason the mouse nest got stuck in the throttle body was "someone" forgot to put the air filter back in. A good lesson to check everything with you buy a used car that has been sitting a while.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #24
Woody_Woodchuck

Thank you Voodoo. Folks here and CleanMPG have taught me a lot, just sharing what got me to 50+ mpg tanks.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i personally have seen no difference in my average mpg per tank since i got my scanguage. Last summer I was getting 40-43... this summer i think 41 is the best i've gotten. Same gas.... It's not quiet as warm as it was late last summer... so that might be it. I doubt 10-15F will make that much of a difference tho.

Everybody should be able to reach 35mpg unless they never drive more than a bock at a time before stopping.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
Woody_Woodchuck

Talnlnky, what gauges do you have on screen?

Currently I have:

LOD_____MPH
iMPG____Trip MPG

With a SG you should be able to coax a little more than 41 even driving in hills.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #27
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
LOL.
Hey I'm from the NY metro area, gimme a break Loren.
Trying that stunt would be just impossible here at least!
Totally different universe!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote