Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
415 miles today!

Went from Oakland to Reno and back on one tank! took 10.5 gallons to fill, with an average speed of 64 mph. So 39 mpg.

All readings off a GPS.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:42 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Not bad (really good actually), especially with those hills/mountains. lol. You should get a Scan Gauge II. It'll be very beneficial. Also, I don't recommend letting your gas tank fall below 2 bars. I let my tank get down to the blinking bar, and I kid you not, my mpg's went from 42 mpg to 29 mpg for three tanks, and then started climbing back up. I think some low laying debris got sucked up???? I never let my tank go below 2 bars now.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Not bad (really good actually), especially with those hills/mountains. lol. You should get a Scan Gauge II. It'll be very beneficial. Also, I don't recommend letting your gas tank fall below 2 bars. I let my tank get down to the blinking bar, and I kid you not, my mpg's went from 42 mpg to 29 mpg for three tanks, and then started climbing back up. I think some low laying debris got sucked up???? I never let my tank go below 2 bars now.
Good advice as if it ever came to having to get into the tank it is a chore and can get expensive if you need a shop to do it. Great mpg

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberSilver View Post
Went from Oakland to Reno and back on one tank! took 10.5 gallons to fill, with an average speed of 64 mph. So 39 mpg.

All readings off a GPS.
That's pretty darn good, considering that it includes climbing from Oakland to Emigrant Gap on the way up and Reno to Emigrant Gap on the way back. The best MPG I've gotten on a tank in my Yaris, if I remember correctly, was between 48 and 49 MPG from Winnemucca, NV to San Rafael, CA.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Quote:
Thats the only time I've done it. I just wanted to see if I could make it.

I normally fill up at the half way point.
UberSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Good, good. Let us know if you see a decrease (or increase) in your next few tanks. ;)
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #7
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
That's weird. You get better mileage filling up more?
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenprintr View Post
You should. The theory behind it is you have less weight in the car, so you have less weight/mass to move. Makes the engine work more efficiently.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #9
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
You should. The theory behind it is you have less weight in the car, so you have less weight/mass to move. Makes the engine work more efficiently.
Dude, You got it backassards...

More gas - more weight
less gas - less weight <-Power-to-weight ratio better for fuel efficiency here....
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #10
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Dude, You got it backassards...

More gas - more weight
less gas - less weight <-Power-to-weight ratio better for fuel efficiency here....
I took it as filling up more often (like filling up to half tank only). I should have probably read it twice. I will re-reply to him.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by screenprintr View Post
Since I wasn't sure if you meant filling up more often, or filling up more per fill up, and since I answered in terms of the former, I will answer for the latter now.

Filling up more per tank will not get you better mpg as it'll be adding more mass/weight to your car. I fill up to full because I don't want to have to keep filling up often, so I take that mpg hit. I don't let my tank go lower than 1/4 tank (which isn't really 1/4 tank because the gas tank isn't a perfect square) because in my experience, it did something that caused my mpg to decrease a lot. I'm assuming it's sucking up sediments/debris that settled at the bottom of the tank or something.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
If you do not commonly let your gas tank go to near empty, you should not start doing it, because Kaotic is right, crap sinks to the bottom and sucking anything up could cost lots of money.

I never fill up until the bar starts to blink, and I almost never have to put ten gallons into my car.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #13
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
If you do not commonly let your gas tank go to near empty, you should not start doing it, because Kaotic is right, crap sinks to the bottom and sucking anything up could cost lots of money.

I never fill up until the bar starts to blink, and I almost never have to put ten gallons into my car.
Just FYI:
Any and every automobile gas tank has the gas taken out from the BOTTOM. The pickup tube might be located on the top of the tank, but inside, it goes down to just about the bottom, NOT Flush, to the bottom, but almost. Think about it! Otherwise, how can the gas get emptied while driving anyway???
Next time, try drinking a drink with the straw half way to the bottom of the glass and see if you can empty the cup.

bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Why do you feel the need to post in bold large font?

If you want to run your tank near empty, so be it. I do know that the pick up line is at the bottom, but that does not automatically mean that any sediments will be sucked right in. Furthermore, the fuel pump is in the tank and is cooled and lubricated by the gas, so by letting your gas levels lower, you take away its lubrication. This can damage it. So, even if you don't believe in the sediment reason, it's still bad to run your tank near empty, unless you don't mind replacing your fuel pump more often than it normally needs to be.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I guess I must have gotten a 'Wednesday' fuel pump . I almost always take my tank as close to empty as possible before filling up. The original fuel pump still works, and I'm still getting over 40 MPG combined.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I guess I must have gotten a 'Wednesday' fuel pump . I almost always take my tank as close to empty as possible before filling up. The original fuel pump still works, and I'm still getting over 40 MPG combined.
That's good that you're getting 40 mpg averages. For some reason, my car really hates this winter blend crap, and my average went down to ~36. Doesn't help that I have the wrong size exhaust piping and 43.5lb tire/wheel combo. When ever I do any city driving, I'll watch my average go down, lower, and lower, and lower...

But yeah, I have no clue how much shorter running your tank near empty will do to your fuel pump's life. May not see it until ~150k miles or somewhere near there.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #17
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Think about it. acting like an asshole does not make you correct. It just makes you an asshole.

Your logic is flawed. No tank is perfectly straight anywhere. Crap will always fall below the gas level, and unless you run the tank near dry, it will stay there until the car is crushed.

And the Yaris' inner liner is rubber. That means the weight of the gas will always flex the bottom lower.

But most importantly, something believed and repeated by so many people for so long usually has a kernal of truth somewhere. Look at what we call old wives tales. Science is finally catching up to their truths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolinko View Post
Just FYI:
Any and every automobile gas tank has the gas taken out from the BOTTOM. The pickup tube might be located on the top of the tank, but inside, it goes down to just about the bottom, NOT Flush, to the bottom, but almost. Think about it! Otherwise, how can the gas get emptied while driving anyway???
Next time, try drinking a drink with the straw half way to the bottom of the glass and see if you can empty the cup.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Think about it. acting like an asshole does not make you correct. It just makes you an asshole.

Your logic is flawed. No tank is perfectly straight anywhere. Crap will always fall below the gas level, and unless you run the tank near dry, it will stay there until the car is crushed.

And the Yaris' inner liner is rubber. That means the weight of the gas will always flex the bottom lower.

But most importantly, something believed and repeated by so many people for so long usually has a kernal of truth somewhere. Look at what we call old wives tales. Science is finally catching up to their truths.
Well said