Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #37
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
that's only over a period of two days. or was the entire tank used in 2 days you're saying. we want mpg for entire tanks.

like stated before, we don't care what you get on just a freeway run or what not. we want the entire tank mpg.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #38
Luna V 2.0

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to Luna V 2.0
I'm jealous of your MPG averages. I average low 30s and my car has 20k miles on it. I bought it used a few weeks ago so it might be due for some maintenance since I don't know how it's last owner took care of it. Maybe after that it'll get better FE averages.

I don't have high hopes though, I only drive about 14 miles a day but its constant stop and go traffic with like 4 school zones. gah.
Luna V 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #39
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna V 2.0 View Post
I'm jealous of your MPG averages. I average low 30s and my car has 20k miles on it. I bought it used a few weeks ago so it might be due for some maintenance since I don't know how it's last owner took care of it. Maybe after that it'll get better FE averages.

I don't have high hopes though, I only drive about 14 miles a day but its constant stop and go traffic with like 4 school zones. gah.
See: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9510

This thread has a lot of real world, practical driving tips to get the most fuel economy out of your Yaris. I think you can do better.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #40
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
The Kiwi says I am doing about 40 mpg, calculating it at the gas station yields about 39 mpg, and this is with wider, softer tires!! (running 205/55R15 Yokohama S.drive tires).

Sodium- have you changed your tires from OE?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #41
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Stock tires, stock pressure. In the future I do plan to upgrade, but I will keep the same diameter/width/tire specs -- just a lighter wheel.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #42
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
Interesting, espeicially since you seem to be doing the same thing that everybody else is doing... you drive under the speed limits, at or over??
Old 10-22-2008, 01:47 PM   #43
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
39mpg ave 50/50

i did 45 mpg 90% hwy averaging 95km/hr
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #44
jh3cuemd

Drives: NOT REGISTERED
You get mpg that I would dream to have. My average is 35 mpg in city and 45 in highway driving normally and with a well treated car. Iīm happy for you guys but Iīm actually jelous because you get those mpg with a 1.5 engine and mine has a 1.3 and I canīt beat you. I think thatīs ok because it is great enough numbers for mpg that Iīm getting with my car and I donīt want to change a lot my driving habits just to get a fwe more mpg.
jh3cuemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #45
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

I do the speed limit. I try to drive as close to 45/50MPH as much as I can though, within reason. And as I said before I do 55MPH on the highway, which is apart of my daily commute (probably 60% is highway). That helps a lot, even in my old car (1999 Ford Contour) I noticed significant gains in MPG by driving 55MPH on the highway.

It all comes to down to driving very smoothly, from start to stop. Try a day of driving where you only depress the gas pedal an inch or two -- that's how I drive everyday. There's no need to be digging into the gas with any car for regular everyday driving.

Also, don't rush to get up to speed. Just because the limit changes from 35 to 40, doesn't mean you have to mash your gas to "catch up." Let the car chug along and you'll get there. Driving on the streets isn't a race -- ever.

*end rant*
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #46
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh3cuemd View Post
I donīt want to change a lot my driving habits just to get a fwe more mpg.
Typically by changing your driving habits, you can expect as much as a 20% gain in fuel economy -- deffinetely not "just a few" more mpg.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #47
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
New best ever MPG 43.57

It took 2 weeks to burn up that last tank by commuting. 43.57 MPG. 80% city, 20% highway. My commute is 33 miles round trip. Average cruise setting is about 40 MPG on flat streets. Average distance between lights where I absolutely have to stop and start- 8 miles. The next two mods are Amsoil 5-20 and a block heater/float charger for at work and at home. Come on 45. I'm pushin 15k on the odo.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #48
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles View Post
I do lots of freeway driving with a packed car in the mountains, and I averaged 52 mpg over 2 days of driving to Montana. I usually average about 48 mpg. I love my car :) It's a manual transmission, I think that has a lot to do with it. I have so much more control over my car.

For one entire tank? Hmmmm.......Brian, where are you?!?
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #49
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I drive 75% highway, 25% city, and over a typical tank I average 41 MPG.

I have found that taking off too slowly from a light will burn more gas then taking off a tad faster up to cruising speed (posted speed limit). I drive 1-3 MPH past the posted then back off to the posted speed limit. This tells VVTi to change the timing from "accelerate" mode for "cruising" mode. This causes my realtime MPG to jump to 50+, then I simply hold the posted speed limit and while doing this I get 50+ MPG. Of course it's the stoping and waiting at red lights that brings my average down to low 40's.

Back in June I spent two weeks on a 4,500 road trip all over the state of New Mexico, and on one tank (driving from Taos to Carlsbad caves) my tank average was 46 MPG. But that trip was 100% freeway, 70's heat, and with the A/C blowing the entire trip.

I put about 4 oz. of Lucas Upper Chamber Lub into every tank of gas. This is no snake oil. The car idles smoother, is a bit quieter, and I get more response from the gas peddle. In addition, I find that my MPG shows an 8% increase over not using it. I ran 5 tanks with and 5 tanks without and I was able to show an 8% increase in MPG. In addition, this product keeps the combustion chamber clean. I change the oil at 5,000 using the cheapest synthetic 0W-20 I can find that has the current ratings, and just before each oil change, I throw into the gas tank a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate.

These days my 2007 hatchback has 43,000 miles and the MPG seems to keep getting better and better. So far no problems with the car. By the way, my car has a 4 speed auto.
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #50
Jack Reacher

Drives: 08 Yaris sdn
I got 41.87 mpg on the first tank last weekend. I'm going to fill up tomorrow and see if It got better or worse. I did allot of city driving so it probly will decline slightly.
Jack Reacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #51
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
46.6MPG... Oops! That was in my '09 Fit.

My Yaris gets around 42 on the highway.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #52
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
46.6MPG... Oops! That was in my '09 Fit.

My Yaris gets around 42 on the highway.
If you're getting more MPG in a Fit vs a Yaris, then this isn't a fair comparison, because a MT Yaris driven identically in the same conditions will beat a MT Fit and the same is true for AT vs AT.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #53
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
My 2009 Fit AT is smokin' my 2007 Yaris AT in mileage. No contest.

My Fit got 46.6 MPG using straight cruise control at 65MPH on a 250 mile round trip. I did use my paddle shifers to hold 5th gear the whole time though.

My Yaris would get about 40MPG using cruise at 65MPH.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #54
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, since I'm only getting about 33.5 mpg so far (50% city/50% hwy), and my LB only has less than 2000 miles on it. It's an AT though, and I am trying to use DFCO, I think what kills me is the fact that the main roads I can take to work have speed limits of either 65mph or 70mph, I take the 65 one most of the time and it's impossible to even go 65, since this is FL everybody thinks it's ok to speed I guess.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote