Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #451
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
I was more looking for suggestions on dyno type in case there has been a trend as to what dyno make/model people on this forum use...trying to nail down a little consistency if possible. Otherwise I'll just start calling around and go with the cheapest.
I made all my runs on a Dynojet dyno.
I like the Dynojet graphs because they're numerically specific, and not vague like other graphs where you're left guessing at what the gains might be.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #452
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Go with Church's, at least you'll be able to directly compare with 2 other Yarii who are making some good NA numbers.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #453
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ good point, or KT Motors in the Valley here where we did our own dynos on the test car.

There are at least three or four other dynos within five miles as well.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #454
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I've had three days off this month between work/military otherwise I would have driven up north already. I'm trying to find some happy medium between the 200 mile journey to where I'd like to go and some random shop that at least uses the same equipment but is close enough to easily get this done in short order...for the good of the community.

What kind of dyno do they use @ KT and Churches?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #455
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Churchs uses a Dynapack, so you'll end up with higher numbers but they tend to be more consistent run to run.
xnamerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #456
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

So far I found

Dynojet @ 127.00
Dynodynamic @ 95.00
Dynacomp @ 75.00

The Dynojet is at the most well known dyno shop in town, well known for their high prices...I'd hope the price reflects their quality, but how much better can they be for 50 bucks over the cheapest guy?

My odometer 03/11
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #457
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Just use the cheapest one. The number is not going to be comparable to anyone else's numbers anyway (except for the fun of it and the "discussion value"). The usefulness of a dyno is to compare the SAME car before and after modifications, or to TUNE the car using a dyno.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #458
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Works for me...

Since I just scored those pullies from Jason I'm going to install and dyno when they get here. Should be next week...

My odometer 03/11
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #459
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Just use the cheapest one. The number is not going to be comparable to anyone else's numbers anyway (except for the fun of it and the "discussion value"). The usefulness of a dyno is to compare the SAME car before and after modifications, or to TUNE the car using a dyno.
QFT

It's not like you're going to get any tuning done either. Go cheaper.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #460
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
And honestly, even the same car on different days can show variations. Temp/humidity/barometric pressure can all affect dyno numbers.

Just make sure you understand how the dyno works, where the dyno gets the temp/humidty readings, and if the operator monkeys with it and adds any absurd adjustments to screw with your numbers.

A good shop won't do this, will tell you where and how everything works, and will give you honest numbers.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #461
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
And honestly, even the same car on different days can show variations. Temp/humidity/barometric pressure can all affect dyno numbers.
They certainly do. In the beginning, I made the mistake of not dyoning comparative runs on the same day. The later back to back runs on the same day gave a much more accurate comparison.

Quote:
Just make sure you understand how the dyno works, where the dyno gets the temp/humidty readings, and if the operator monkeys with it and adds any absurd adjustments to screw with your numbers.

A good shop won't do this, will tell you where and how everything works, and will give you honest numbers.
Honesty is more important than anything else, and Harry at HK Motorsports in Van Nuys is an honest guy. Nothing was done to enhance the dyno results because the whole point is to arrive at the truth, and no performance gains were made without backing them up with the actual charts.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #462
4/20 NEVER FORGET

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB MT
Has anyone dyno'd their car yet with this manifold on the car?

Just wondering, I've been off of the radar for a bit. I'm still 100% happy with my manifold, I beat on the car relentlessly and I'm still getting 32-34 miles per gallon.
4/20 NEVER FORGET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #463
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Hey Garm, which intake manifold should i get if i want to keep my Yaris N/A? the long runners or the short runners? Gotta save up for one of these bad boys! :)
Old 09-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #464
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Long runners!
Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #465
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
whorring

mani.jpg

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #466
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

god that's beautiful.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #467
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
Oh yeah it is!!! Im so happy I kept it, its gorgeous and im liking the power/response increase

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #468
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
didn't you get a supercharger instead?

does that mean you will sale the super?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote