Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
What items in the 90K Maintenance Check can be DIY?

What items in the 90K Maintenance Check can be DIY? A dealer or other will charge a lot I think.

I routinely get the oil changed and the tires rotated for a reasonable, low cost.

I've attached a picture from the Maintenance Manual of the 90K checklist for the Yaris

I have determined that a local, very reputable repair chain will do the brake stuff (Lines, hoses, linings/drums, pads/disc) and steering gear box and steering linkage & boots for free.

I've already done the engine coolant, fuel tank gas cap gasket, radiator and condenser myself (I think). And I have checked the brake fluid level myself (not on the list). And I just learned how to replace the serpentine belt here on another thread I started.

Is it possible for me to do the other stuff myself? Like ball joints and dust covers, exhaust pipes and mountings, front differential oil, fuel lines & connections, etc., and transmission fluid or oil.

What about tightening the nuts and bolts on the chasis, since I have driven on dusty roads.

Thank you,
RM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CroppedYarisMaint.pdf (713.9 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by RMcG; 11-10-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: To attach 90K maintenance checklist
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
looks like you change the oil.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #3
RMcG

Maybe I'm not asking this very well, if so, sorry. I am trying to ask which of the following I can reasonably do myself, without having to go to a dealer or garage. I did look at the DIY maintenance in the short owners manual, and it does not look like the items below are really in there.

Can I reasonably inspect the ball joints and dust covers?

Inspect the drive shaft boots?

Inspect the exhaust pipes and mountings?

Inspect the front differential oil?

Inspect the fuel lines & connections, fuel tank band, and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses?

Inspect the transmission fluid or oil?

Thanks,

RMcG
Old 11-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Have that reputable repair facility check the lower control arms as well: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=lca+bolt

Everything you have listed you can check yourself(you'll need to get the car on ramps/ stands or if you're small enough slide under), especially if you are capable of changing the accessory belt. Manual or auto? Are you looking for how to's on checking these parts or more recommendations or what specifically?
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTHatch View Post
Have that reputable repair facility check the lower control arms as well: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...light=lca+bolt

Everything you have listed you can check yourself(you'll need to get the car on ramps/ stands or if you're small enough slide under), especially if you are capable of changing the accessory belt. Manual or auto? Are you looking for how to's on checking these parts or more recommendations or what specifically?
Thanks LT. I am just looking for what I can do myself and how to do it, so links to Youtube videos or online pictures for the items listed abpve would be helpful. I do not know how to do the items listed above, but those items are recommended by Toyota at 90K miles.

I had a look at the post on the lower control arms. I do not live in an area where they use salt, so I am less concerned. But is does sound like a potentially serious problem.

Thanks,

R.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
SirDigby

it's pretty easy. to inspect all that stuff you jack the car up and put it on jack stands. slide under there. look at everything. feel all your boots. if everything is dry and crack-free that's good. checking the ball joints can be tricky. i like to lower the car till i can just get my prybar under the wheel. i can give it a jerk and i'll give it a shake and you have to "feel" where the issues are. (if any) it's kinda a learned procedure.
for the bolts i just ordered the new ones and installed them. they are like $25 each. i am the only person in my state to ever order them. HA! i have a few parts like that now..
Old 11-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
RMcG

Thanks to everybody, Thanks SirDigby.

R.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
SirDigby

bolts for control arms: 90119-14151
Old 11-17-2017, 04:07 PM   #9
RMcG

Would pictures that help in the inspection of the various items (90K & others) be in the DIY manual cited in the forum here at the post http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3113 at http://www.esnips.com/web/yarisworld/ or somewhere else?

Thanks,

R.

Tags
90k, diy, list, maintenance